New E10 fuel + plastic tanks !!

Kenny

Trustworthy Scouser AND
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the W
Cut and pasted........

That’s not E10’s only problem, either. Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means absorbs and mixes with water, even drawing it in from the air around it. That’s one of the reasons it can cause corrosion, since it means parts of fuel systems that were never designed to be in contact with water are suddenly exposed to it. On top of that, ethanol is a solvent and that means rubber, plastic and fibreglass parts that were designed to be in contact with pure petrol can melt once exposed to E10. Since many bikes have plastic fuel tanks, that’s a worry. A few years ago, there were issues in America – where E10 has been in use much longer, with bikes including Ducati Monsters, Sport Classics and Multistradas suffering distorted plastic fuel tanks as they reacted to ethanol in the fuel.
Although the water-attracting properties of E10 aren’t necessarily a massive problem if you’re constantly using a vehicle and running through tanks of fuel, they can be amplified when a vehicle is left unused with petrol in the tank.

That’s a particular issue for bikes, since many are either laid up over winter or used sporadically with long idle periods. During that time, E10 has a reputation for going stale and undergoing ‘phase separation’ when vehicles aren’t used. That means the ethanol falls out of solution with the petrol as it absorbs more water. The result could be an engine that won’t start until the fuel is replaced, and some suggest this phase separation can take place in as little as three months.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just something to be wary of from September...especially if you own a PD !!:eek:

E5 will be available for at least another 5 years albeit in ‘Super’ grade only unless you live in a ‘remote’ area where E5 95 ron will still be supplied.

I haven't considered it for the bikes but I regularly use an additive in the winter months for my two-stroke garden kit. No damaging side-effects yet and they all start happily-enough when I get them out of the shed about now after being laid up all winter.:thumb2

The following vehicles, however, may not be compatible with E10 fuel:

classic, cherished and older vehicles
some specific models, particularly those from the early 2000s
some mopeds, particularly those with an engine size of 50cc or under

That's my Tomos fucked then :tears

Andres

Just fit a big bore kit....................sorted :D

Being more serious, yes this is/has been/will be an issue.
Old style plastic petrol tanks (eg the original KTM 950/90 Dukes) were renowned for breathing and bubbling due to the ethanol. I imagine it's why bikes now mostly have painted panels covering (and separate to) unpainted plastic tanks these days.

When I recently restored my Bultaco I had the inside of the tank treated to proof it against ethanol as it's fiberglass and the ethanol would soon fuck that up. Even so, to be extra careful I did some research and pretty much all ESSO high octane fuel is completely ethanol free. Interestingly though the ethanol content seems to be down to the fuel distributer, not the brand/retailer, so check where you live eg with the ESSO fuel it wasn't ethanol free in parts of the west country when I last checked........

Andres

Mopeds;

A moped with an engine size over 50cc is NOT a moped. Surely the definition of moped still states that the engine size must be BELOW 50cc, or it is not a moped.
Or have they changed what a “moped” is without me realising ?

E10 is evil.... But so is choking to death on emissions.

I rode an XT600 around South America some years ago. In Brazil, they have used E10 for a long time. It totally destroyed my fuel lines, filters and carb seals in just a month. Luckily I had spares and was heading into Venezuela where I could fill up my 23L tank with proper fuel for $3 :D

Briggs & Stratton “ Fuel Fit “ gets good reviews on Amazon. It claims fuel can be stabilized for upto 3 yrs.

Guzzi's have suffered with this for the last 20 years , it took a while to blame the fuel, we just blamed Guzzi to begin with.

I have the tank expansion problem on my Ducati S4RS,which means I can't clamp the tank down at the moment,hoping to find an engineering solution.There have been several manufacturers affected as they used plastic tanks and you can spend hours and hours on Google reading about it.

There's obviously the option of having an alloy tank made if I can find someone to do it,any suggestions gratefully received.

Kimbo

I have the tank expansion problem on my Ducati S4RS,which means I can't clamp the tank down at the moment,hoping to find an engineering solution.There have been several manufacturers affected as they used plastic tanks and you can spend hours and hours on Google reading about it.

There's obviously the option of having an alloy tank made if I can find someone to do it,any suggestions gratefully received.

Kimbo

This has been happening for a quite a few years. The tank expands , when it’s taken off bike for service , tank is effectively ‘released’ & is now bigger and won’t go back on. Supposedly if you drain the tank completely and put it in your airing cupboard with your wife’s best Egyptian cotton towels for a week it will contract.

This has been happening for a quite a few years. The tank expands , when it’s taken off bike for service , tank is effectively ‘released’ & is now bigger and won’t go back on. Supposedly if you drain the tank completely and put it in your airing cupboard with your wife’s best Egyptian cotton towels for a week it will contract.
It will work but will take a while. At my old job at a bike shop the bosses wife had an aprillia 250 and the tank expanded so much it rubbed on the steering stem top. We took it off and he put it on a shelf over his aga. After a week or two it fitted perfectly again.

Do you all realise that Fuel stabilisers are nothing but marketing bullshit. They do nothing. Some actually do harm.

Don't you think that if there was a cheap and easy way to stabilise your fuel, the manufacturers would have been adding it themselves.

I watched a great comparison and lab test about it. Actually, you can spend hours on youtube watching vids with home tests that show they're bullshit.

Could any of the GS PD Illuminati on this site, inform me definitively what the ‘Plastic’ tank is made from on my 1994 R100 GS PD; for research I’m doing in respect of this issue please.

Current thought is HDPE - High Density Polyethylene?

Any input appreciated :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom