New transalp

I reckon that will be a similar / detuned engine from the AT. But probably enough grunt if the bike is light enough

Piss poor attempt at cashing in on a good name.
It can't ever be a Transalp if it's a parallel twin.

Worked out OK for the Africa Twin.

I thought the same when they did it to the Africa Twin, mate.

Perhaps they got, and are are getting, away with it because of a new generation largely being unaware of the predecessors?

The only parallel twin that I have ridden and liked straight off is the Yamaha TRX850; all parallels should be made this way...
Something to do with the firing I believe, but I am no mechanic

The only parallel twin that I have ridden and liked straight off is the Yamaha TRX850; all parallels should be made this way...

T700 is similar engine design and it's a lovely engine

Weight .?

The key will be what Honda manage to get the weight down to. Will it be sub 200 kg ?
Will they offer DCT ?

With the majority of people who try DCT liking the system and the majority of those purchading DCT who wouldn’t go back I think they’d be foolish not to offer a DCT version.
As for Tarkas reason for using the name, isn’t that what every manufacturer in any field does with a successful brand name.

May be to do with the 270 degree crank on the TRX, which some say makes the motor feel more like a V twin, so it could be that what you like you really really like is this "experience".

May be to do with the 270 degree crank on the TRX, which some say makes the motor feel more like a V twin, so it could be that what you like you really really like is this "experience".

If that's the reason, Richie will like the Africa Twin with its 270 crank. :beerjug:

Tested one yesterday and was very impressed. Not so much with the high pillion seat that made it very difficult to swing a leg over!
1fb1091ee69762e8bf20954ca06b1b61.jpg

Last edited:
Any more detail on what was good/bad Pete?
Very little bad! It's built to a price, clearly, but Honda have been doing that for decades and very successfully. My only major issue would be that pillion seat step up mentioned above. I'm 6foot and it was a pita. I did a quick item for the local IAM squeak. Here it is ...

Honda’s original Transalp was a great bike. 600CC (latterly 700) V twin, water cooled, tough and ultra reliable. It was equally favoured by commuters, tourers and round the world adventure riders. It’s 750cc vertical twin replacement has a lot to live up to. Here’s some thoughts after Two Wheels were good enough to offer me a test ride.

1. The latest digital rider info screen. All the info you need at a glance. I kept the bike in rain mode (it was bucketing down!) and that was fine. Standard was chosen later as the roads dried and offered MORE than adequate overtaking acceleration. The screen showed consumption 13.4 miles per litre. That equates to 59mpg.

2. All the controls fell readily to hand: the left hand! The right bar offers only the starter and throttle. I got used to this pretty quickly.

3. Twin discs up front offered usable braking power. I found the rear brake a little lacking but a firmer foot sorted that.

4. Gear changing was positive and light, despite that long linkage. 6 well chosen ratios. The engine felt a little “busy” even at relatively low revs. (Note to self: check crankshaft geometry and bore/stroke.)

5. Riding position was almost perfect for me. (I’m 6 foot tall.) That seat was fine too but got a bit less comfy as the ride progressed. I did find that the height of the pillion seat made mounting/dismounting a little awkward. That tank contains 15litres which should be fine if the petrol consumption is consistent at 13 miles per litre. A good looking bike too: well proportioned with plenty of room for rider and (probably) pillion too. I liked that silver/grey scheme.

Summary: A fine motorcycle. Light and responsive handling for its size and predictable and more than adequate road holding. Money spent on uprated suspension at the rear would be money well spent (it always is) but it's certainly not essential. The engine has more than enough power and a nice growly rasp under acceleration.

I liked it a lot!

Back
Top Bottom