Caucasus??

gingerbeemer08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone ever traveled Georgia and specifically the Caucasus mountains?
Thinking of doing a trip there next year as it looks amazing but dont know much about the place.
Is it safe to travel within the country? Might need to fly out and hire bikes there; any recommendations?
Thanks

If you have Amazon Prime there is a little mini series documentary where to aged German ride through Europe into Asia on there way to the Himalayan mountains. They ride though Athens Caucasus answer mention some places to visit. Scenery was fantastic and so wry isolated without being a flat expanse.

I can’t remeber what it’s called just search ; Motorcycle Himalaya

Georgia was our plan for 2020. Obvs didn’t happen. We might get there this year, probably not though. 2022 maybe.

As far as I can read, watch and listen to stuff about Georgia it’s fine Dinis everything inbetween. One area of Georgia is advised as a bit of a no-go but I’m sure it’ll be ok and East Europe is well East Europe and Turkey no doubt has its interest. Our route was east via Ukraine and a Black Sea ferry to Georgia and back west via Turkey and the Balkans with side trip to Greece probably.

Some bods in Hitler’s army took some time out to climb the highest mountain in the region (Mount Elbrus) much to his annoyance.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RIOz01BXKWk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Most, if not all, of the young men in the film would be dead within the year, if not two.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/graves-mark-peak-of-nazis-reach-zhfls2b2mlq

There have been improvements in some of the roads, others should satisfy most people's need for some off roading! The people are extremely welcoming and costs, once there, are relatively cheap. Insurance can be bought at the border crossings, which is required, you will have problems should the authorities request to see proof and you are unable to provide the documentation.

Riding there via Greece and Turkey will eat into your time. Due to that, I had a quote from James Cargo last month to ascertain if flying my machine out there would be cost effective; I was quoted £1500+ one way to Tbilisi, you will then add on the cost of getting yourself there. The ferry services from Bulgaria and Ukraine are slow (2+ days sailing) and their schedules are an approximation as to when they sail, only doing so when the vessel is full, mainly with trucks.

It was becoming a very popular destination for all forms of tourism, including motorcyclists and I imagine when the pandemic is under control, it will be welcoming increased numbers of visitors. UK passport holders do not require a visa, if travelling via Turkey you will need an e-visa prior to leaving the UK.

Anyone ever traveled Georgia and specifically the Caucasus mountains?
Thinking of doing a trip there next year as it looks amazing but dont know much about the place.
Is it safe to travel within the country? Might need to fly out and hire bikes there; any recommendations?
Thanks

A couple of guys who are subscribers but rarely post have been at least twice on 1100s but I can’t remember the names they use on here. I’ll send them text messages and see if either of them feel helpful.

They definitely rode there and loved it. They’ve got a lot of knowledge between them regarding routes, visas, insurance etc. so if I can get them to contact you it’ll be useful.

Georgia is fantastic. Possibly, one of my favourite countries to visit.
First travelled there in 2014 while doing a loop through from Wales through Turkey and Georgia to Moscow and back through Latvia, Lithuiania and Polan back home.
Back then you couldn't get insurance for Georgia not even at the border. But it didn't matter because they couldn't care less!
That trip was on XT660's.
No visa required for Georgia, Turkish e-visa was easy (get it online).
Food and people were just great.
The Georgian military road to Russia was fantastic. It had only just been rpaired after land slides had destroyed it.
https://old.civil.ge/eng/article.php?id=27240
It was swept away again shortly after we used it.
https://old.civil.ge/eng/article.php?id=27596

Next visit was on the way to Azerbaijan on R1100gs. Stopped in Tblisi on the way there and again on the way back. Me and Simon had a day trip to Armenia on the way back sans luggage while we were staying in Tblisi.
This time it was still difficult to buy insurance and they did want to see it. But easy enough to buy at the border.

I can definitely recommend a visit and I dearly hope we can go again.
Not sure why you need to ship a bike out though. Just ride the thing. You can get to Turkey in 3 days.
Turkey itself is a great country to visit.

my cousin took a £800 golf mk5 round there... he didn't have any problems...

if you youtube bald and bankrupt caspian sea monster his stuff is also pretty good.

I tried!

My first reply was ' For fucks sake; just go.....'

That was the reply I’d have got if I’d asked the same question so I half expected it.

Steve might feel charitable later and he’ll have everything written down somewhere :D

As suggested watch Erik Peter's film about going that way

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_n1DvoCvLuI

We are planning on heading that way next spring on the way east, started buying the maps already so that's a commitment! Two given to me by Micky

Attachments

• 20210307_103043.jpg
    20210307_103043.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 159
Everything I've seen on telly makes the scenery look tremendous. Georgia seems fairly stable too. (My measure on this is whether it's a place I'm allowed to travel to without getting approval in advance from employer. Georgia's fine. Armenia next door is a different story...)

It is.
Subscribing to this thread as I'm planning a trip there too. Looks like an interesting "not much on asphalt" destination.

Back
Top Bottom