Thoughts on Chinese replacement Valve covers?

Isn't the cost of an original one just a bit more expensive?

And what happens if the quality is not up to the OE spec?? Fitment/Dimensions Possible Leakage Material used and of course the delay to receive them from the far east

I do not know if that is the case with these!! But Definitely items that I have bought from E bay obviously outsourced from the far east have been less than satisfactory in QA QC

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-R1200Gs-Rt-L-H-Rocker-Cover-Valve-Cover-10-12/154209970749

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R120...ocker-cylinder-head-cover-engine/284177647187

Over 10 years ago when i was having aluminium headguards made for the 1100/1150 models i visited a couple of manufacturers about producing them and took along a set of Valve covers to help them visualise the type of guard required.
Out of interest they asked how much a valve cover cost from BMW, which was around £150 at the time....

They said they could produce them for £3-£5 each, but (there's always a but :D) the machinery needed to produce them at such a low price would cost £36k. That was everything made/produced here in the UK. Fine if your market involved selling thousands each year.

So imagine the cost of having them produced in China. Few thousand for the initial molds and a few pence per item :D.. ....

I ended up having my headguards sand cast at a foundry. That's them in the pictures, one polished, one painted. £180 a pair. :D

Attachments

• head guards.jpg
    head guards.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 333
  • headguards 1.jpg
    headguards 1.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 338
I've ditched the new chinese ones, and splurged and got some new ones coming from Germany. Dealers don't hold stock here.

I've ditched the new chinese ones, and splurged and got some new ones coming from Germany. Dealers don't hold stock here.

Don't be surprised if your 'German' versions are made in China. :D

Thought you'd flounced due to stolzy busting your balls ?

Anyway, pretty much everything is made in China, had to laugh at a guy saying he wouldn't buy props for his DJI drone from AliExpress as they'd be from China :blast

Shocking the amount of HD parts and accessories made in China these days, not as shocking as the mark up HD must be putting on though! :eek:

Nice to see you back. :thumb

Do not buy them. I bought a couple form here and they leaked like a sieve. They are not machined flat. When I asked for a refund they suggested I got a new cardboard gasket illustrating they know nothing about the bike. To be fair, I did eventually get a refund.

At least the German Purchased ones will be subject to QA QC

Do not buy them. I bought a couple form here and they leaked like a sieve. They are not machined flat

As I mentioned above QA QC can be very lacking

Its a real hotpot of a capitalist society in China Everyone out to make a buck or two

Oh Hang on !!

If the saving over genuine items is greater than the value of the bike, go for it.
If not......

Back
Top Bottom