Just double checking

Disaster Area

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello again,
When I took the tank off my 1100 I took pictures of everything so that I would know where everything went.
Except for the two connections where the flexible fuel pipes go into the solid pipes.
There are two solid pipes and two flexible pipes. It looks like the top plastic pipe connects to the rear of the two flexible pipes and the bottom one naturally wants to connect to the front of the flexible pipes.

Can I just get a confirmation before I re-connect?!

DA

I would suggest getting in touch with Mikeyboy of this parish,he's a top bloke and knows these bikes

Kimbo

Quick internet search.............:nenau

Attachments

• E34E8AD7-3431-49A7-A42F-B98411CF5616.jpg
    E34E8AD7-3431-49A7-A42F-B98411CF5616.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 258
  • E01A5D30-F014-4769-8984-CCE3270FD9FB.jpg
    E01A5D30-F014-4769-8984-CCE3270FD9FB.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 258
It’s impossible to get them wrongly connected if the connectors are fitted like the ones in the picture because they have a male and female on each pair top and bottom

It’s impossible to get them wrongly connected if the connectors are fitted like the ones in the picture because they have a male and female on each pair top and bottom

He mentions the bike being an 1100 so that makes it many years before Q/D’s were fitted, which was sometime around 2003. So he’d have two single hoses from the tank to the solid lines on the pressure regulator feeds.

He mentions the bike being an 1100 so that makes it many years before Q/D’s were fitted, which was sometime around 2003. So he’d have two single hoses from the tank to the solid lines on the pressure regulator feeds.

Ah right, never had owt to do with the 1100’s. That pic looks the same as the set-up on the 1150’s.

Ah right, never had owt to do with the 1100’s. That pic looks the same as the set-up on the 1150’s.

That’s because the fuel supply and delivery is nearly exactly the same on both bikes apart from..........the quick disconnects fitted on later model 1150’s.

Hence, given my user name, the need to check.

The next issue is that it still won't start. The fuel pump was priming, it was turning over on the starter but not kicking in. I gave it a rest for a minute or two and then tried again - nothing. No electrics at all.
Anyway, is there likely be some old petrol/gunge in the injectors blocking them?
Is it worth taking the spark plugs out and squirting something into the cylinders?
Any advice welcome!

Edited to add: the kill switch is in the 'on' position, and I'm using jumper cables as the battery is toast.

There are people on here that are far more knowledgeable than me, but this is starting to sound like it could be the common fault of a worn ignition wiring loom? If the ignition loom is cable tied around the headstock, it chafes and causes intermittent faults at first then wont start at all. Try clipping through the cable tie if there and then turn the bars to the left, you may have to jiggle (technical term) the wires about a bit, but you can get a replacement loom if that is the problem. You did previously say that the pump was priming.

Are you getting any lights at all when you turn the key? If yes, but no pump or starter, it could be what I have tried to describe above.

Good luck sorting and hopefully one of the good souls on here will be along to sort you out.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.
I left the bike overnight and then tried again yesterday morning. It coughed a few times and then caught, sending plumes of black smoke into the air. After a couple of minutes it settled down and purred along like it always did.
I didn't leave it running too long, but hopefully long enough to draw fresh fuel through the system and flush out any old stuff. I guess the real test will be when I try and start her again!

My next plan is to renew all of the lubricants, bung two new spark plugs in, bleed the brakes and see if she'll pass her Warrant of Fitness.

Back
Top Bottom