Front casing refurb.

StewMcGrew

Reaction score
Decided to refurb the bike before i sell it.

1. New valve covers on order.
2. Old valve cover protectors stripped ready for repainting.
3. Just about ready to pull off the front cover

Do you its worth continuing polishing the valve cover protectors for a bit of 'bling'?
406974ace6bacd84be44a7e9a42a2e6e.jpg
d16179335df5ed05574484733bd96515.jpg

Use some fine wet and dry. Get as many of the light scratches out as you can. They WILL show through the paint otherwise.
As for the engine front casing. I thought mine was bad. Mikeyboy had mine blasted and then powder coated years ago. Still fine now.

Mind you if you don't want to remove it from the bike I'd use a wire rotating brush in a drill to clean it up then paint it with hammerite. Add new bolts and it'll look a lot better.

I'd use a wire rotating brush in a drill to clean it up then paint it with hammerite. Add new bolts and it'll look a lot better.

Ooh, ah, now I’d be very careful going down that route. Once the powder coat comes off the alloy is pretty soft and you won’t be able to get into all the crevices etc with a brush. Vapour blast and powder coat is deffo the way to go unless you have your own blasting cabinet.

If you do, you’ll need to etch prime the surfaces - there are some good rattle cans. Tbh I’d use Techcote silver engine spray, it’s a bit easier to use than hammerite.

But beware it’s a slippery slope - see here: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...ture-SE-Rebuild?highlight=Nin 1150 se rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ooh, ah, now I’d be very careful going down that route. Once the powder coat comes off the alloy is pretty soft and you won’t be able to get into all the crevices etc with a brush. Vapour blast and powder coat is deffo the way to go unless you have your own blasting cabinet.

If you do, you’ll need to etch prime the surfaces - there are some good rattle cans. Tbh I’d use Techcote silver engine spray, it’s a bit easier to use than hammerite.

But beware it’s a slippery slope - see here: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...ture-SE-Rebuild?highlight=Nin 1150 se rebuild

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Agreed but he did say he was tidying it up to sell it so probably didn't want to do too much.

So far, paint stripped and dremmeled most of the remaining shit off.

Off to get vapor blasted tomorrow to get all the nasty hard to reach places done.

Then, do i power coat or spray with acid etch primer and silver paint?
bee8e6761e8b7d4ea19eaff78e8d434d.jpg

I am also doing this but was put off taking it off as I understood it was difficult and needed special tools. Doing it on the bike is a bit of a pain. Tempted to get a new one fitted and then get the old one Refurb so I can swap them over if it goes again.

I am also doing this but was put off taking it off as I understood it was difficult and needed special tools. Doing it on the bike is a bit of a pain. Tempted to get a new one fitted and then get the old one Refurb so I can swap them over if it goes again.
You don't need to remove it, nor powder coat it, see my link a couple of posts back

I have and thank you, made me feel a bit better after starting the job. I hope to have all the stripping and sanding by the weekend. Just to confirm if I am right I am don’t stripping all of the paint if their is no corrosion, just a light sanding for the primer. Is that right?

I tried to buy a new one for mine years back. Couldn't get one anywhere. 06 adventure, don't know if they are all the same or not. Hense why I had it stripped and powder coated.

If your doing all this to tidy the bike for sale my tuppence worth is price the cost of the powder coat company stripping it and powder coating it versus you paying to get it vapor blasted then the cost of the primer and spray . Incidentally if you buy a cheap 1k spray can it will last about one winter before you would have to respray, alternatively a can of 2k spray is triple the price but would last longer so my advice is to get the 1k can and tidy it up and any improvements will look subtle. If you get it powder coated the cover will look great but this in turn could make the rest of the paintwork look tatty . If you decide to spray it yourself preparation is key after you get it back from the vapor blasting wear gloves to avoid containiment from your skin ,wipe down the surface with a proper pre clean solution and then spray light coats the first one being a light dusting and build from there

Whilst waiting for the casing to come back, ive been polishing my pipe!

Wet & dry 240, 320, 600, 800, 1200, 1500 the 2000 then autosol
4a96c2d5dc1b9bf72ed87de469406af2.jpg
d8ba1bdd7132f2d8f398a6c247789a7f.jpg

Thanks Stew feel like I have got to do my pipes now��

Bit of advise guys, done the sanding and have been working with 400, 330 and 240 grit sandpaper and I have noticed on the bottom part it feels a little pimply, I can not get it smooth.

I am going to try and work out how to upload a pic, but any advice, have I gone far enough to need to keep going.

Many thanks

Rich

With the pipes, I went 240, 320, 400, 600, 800, 100, 1500, 2000 and then autosol. Kinda therapeutic.

I'll have the shiniest pipes in all the shire!

As I’m keeping the GSA long term, Aqua-blast, acid etch and powder coat. £80.00
91fd1a2c7267be6450075af5daa8f879.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom