Costs

shugie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got what I think should be a suitable "tug" in the form of a K100RS, I know that I need a subframe from Wasp to attach a sidecar, the next thing I need is an actual side car. It only needs to be basic, I doubt I will be planning to carry passengers on anything other than the most occasional basis, but am more likely to carry either camping or shooting stuff. What sort of money does a basic sidecar go for, they seem to be quite expensive new?

You could make your own chassis, it's not that difficult.
A perimeter frame, with a small stub axle, with a short swing arm on it and then use a spare K100 rear wheel on the chair.

You could make your own chassis, it's not that difficult.
A perimeter frame, with a small stub axle, with a short swing arm on it and then use a spare K100 rear wheel on the chair.

Well I couldn't on account of not being able to weld, but getting someone else to construct one is certainly an option I'd not considered. Then construct some sort of timber box and fibreglass that for strength, things I can do.

It depends on whether you want a ‘make do’ chair picked up from eBay or a bespoke item made to suit your wish list. In other words anything from £500 to about £5k excluding fitting it to the bike.

Factor in the need to change the suspension on the K and sort out the wiring harness which ,yet again, can be a bottomless pit but you can rest assured that the original suspension won’t be up to the job and it’ll handle like a turd until you do something about it. I fitted a Hagon shock (sold as being suitable for use with a sidecar, leading link forks, a hydraulic steering damper from the forks to the chair subframe and it still rode as if it has clown shoes instead of tyres until it finally clicked and I put a higher rated shock on the chair.

Firstly, have a look on eBay and the likes just for a "sidecar" rather than a complete outfit...even if you don't like the body, you can bin it or sell it, but it could be a cheap way of getting a useable chassis.
You may even strike gold and get one compatible with your bike without even having to buy a fitting kit/subframe !

Othewise, even if you have to buy a fitting kit/subframe and then construct a chassis (even if you're paying someone to do the welding), and you just want a utility sidecar box body rather than a people carrying body, have a look at metal tool lockers or storage lockers with a view to mounting one on its back, with the lockable doors uppermost.:thumb

If you do manage to buy a side car chassis then don’t forget to put a surfboard on it and you’ll be bang on trend :D

On a serious note Don’t forget to post some picture up when you are done :thumb

I’ve bought two chairs on eBay, the first was a lovely little thing that I spend hours trying to position somewhere close to where it needed to be on the K, the second one was a big Watsonian one brush painted the same blue as my K that had what appeared to be a Wasp subframe sticking out of it. I bought that and found that it was indeed the correct subframe and the guy selling it also sold me a smaller rear wheel and leading link forks for the K so I was happy.

I sold the other one for more than I’d paid and the winning bidder told me he’d have gone to many multiples more because the chair was as rare as rocking horse shit :blast

I also had a sidewinder leaning platform that I considered bolting an aluminium flight box to but I was offered more than I’d paid for it so it went :D

Interesting lightweight ally sidecar without chassis for £500, not 100% sure about the corrosion potential here, but it does like nice, under 20kg and fairly streamlined too.

Attachments

• sidecar.JPG
    sidecar.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 101

Back
Top Bottom