South West Spain - Recommendations?

Deleted account 210609001

Reaction score
I've toured Spain a few times, but have always focused on the North and East. Picos, Pyrenees, Catalunya, Teruel, Soria. We've never been further South and West on the bike.

All being well, and subject to travel restrictions, we'll be doing a longer trip this summer. A circular route is planned, clockwise from Bilbao travelling to the east of Madrid then returning west of Madrid. Accommodation is already booked but we'll have a few days where we're stying two nights in each location so will have the opportunity to explore a little (or alternatively spend a day by the pool!)

Are there any recommendation for sights to see, areas to visits or things not to be missed while we there?

Spain%20route%202021-M.png

Obviously we're not doing anything stupid like going in July. Only a fool would do that...:blast

The donkeys are nice and don’t miss the oranges.

Try the Michelin guide or you’ll miss the Alhambra.

8ca46608ac5831c2af616505a7b5e64c.png

Go to Ronda, La Alberca (sp?), Merida (lots of Roman stuff to see), Ciudad Rodrigo and if you get a chance pop just over the border to Portugal and visit Elvas

We’re spending two nights in Ronda. And passing close by (ish) Mérida and Ciudad Rodrigo. I’ll get my travel consultant onto it!

We've used Mark at bmwmotohire a few times.

Flown to Malaga, picked up at the airport and rented an apartment/bike.

Good value and route advice.

Mark and Lindsay are good hosts and the location is perfect for exploring the area.

http://www.bmwmotohire.com/

:agree

Stunning location and great accommodation, brilliant and knowledgeable hosts. :thumb

We’re spending two nights in Ronda. And passing close by (ish) Mérida and Ciudad Rodrigo. I’ll get my travel consultant onto it!

Ronda, sounds a bit, well, Welsh :eek:

I knew, after very nearly a full year of going nowhere and doing naff all, there’d be a “Me and my my mate, we’re going.... and we need... things to.... and things to see” at the very first hint of the curtain coming up. Have you been busy? :augie

The road south from Ronda to San Pedro de Alcantara is a must. It's so good you'll want to turn round and do it again the other way. El Torcal is also well worth a look. It's not far north of Malaga. Seville, Toledo, Segovia, Jerez and Cadiz are all worth a visit if you like towns and cities. Everyone who has been there will have there own recommendations and these are a few of my favourites

It can get seriously hot in summer, with 45c+ not uncommon. Even in vented kit it's scorchio. Enjoy your trip, covid permitting.

Done that purple or west side route many a times, the middle bit up to North is very boring even in a Camper. If you can time it for The huge Farro moto show, you'll be in for an absolute treat which is just a hop over to Portugal at the bottom in Farro. The south west has so many fast mountain passes, you can take your pick and you will have lots of fun, the roads are great like some you may of been on.

Grenada has a huge region to explore, cheap residential hostels or not as cheap but still great pool hotels, Cordoba being a fave personally for scenic rolling slab encompassing lots of off roading and wild camping, live flamenco evenings with free tapas if you stick to a Jarra (pint) and not a bottle, great atmosphere, many bikers.

Cadiz also being a great place to visit, once an old fishing village its turned into what Liverpool is today whether you like a sky scraping city or not. Seville again, beauty but it is a case of taste. Just some suggestions pal

Sent from Huawei out of space
c1c1096a92d9fdc13483b44521f40a7d.jpg

Alhambra is being saved for a trip of its own.

You always needed to book tickets well in advance for Alhambra, possibly even more so if covid restricts visitor numbers. We spent almost an entire day there, quite a bit of which was waiting for people to move so I could take photos. A shuttle bus operates from the town up the hill to the entrance. It really is well worth a visit.

You always needed to book tickets well in advance for Alhambra

A shuttle bus operates from the town up the hill to the entrance.

It really is well worth a visit.

Better walk the gardens in and around the hill are stunning
Plus some great bars & cafes in the side streets in the area
Shuttle bus is for OAP’s

You always needed to book tickets well in advance for Alhambra, possibly even more so if covid restricts visitor numbers. We spent almost an entire day there, quite a bit of which was waiting for people to move so I could take photos. A shuttle bus operates from the town up the hill to the entrance. It really is well worth a visit.

Our Alhambra plan is to have a separate trip and spend a couple of nights in the Parador. Something we'll need to save up for, as it's not a cheap event, but the Parador stay includes all day access to the Alhambra complex (all subject to Covid developments, of course).

The road south from Ronda to San Pedro de Alcantara is a must. It's so good you'll want to turn round and do it again the other way. El Torcal is also well worth a look. It's not far north of Malaga. Seville, Toledo, Segovia, Jerez and Cadiz are all worth a visit if you like towns and cities. Everyone who has been there will have there own recommendations and these are a few of my favourites

It can get seriously hot in summer, with 45c+ not uncommon. Even in vented kit it's scorchio. Enjoy your trip, covid permitting.

We'll have a whole day in Ronda (staying two nights) and a dash down that road to the coast might be a perfect way to spend some time and build up an appetite for the evening.

Ronda, sounds a bit, well, Welsh :eek:

I knew, after very nearly a full year of going nowhere and doing naff all, there’d be a “Me and my my mate, we’re going.... and we need... things to.... and things to see” at the very first hint of the curtain coming up. Have you been busy? :augie

I haven't been anywhere, but never been busier than the last year working from home!

We're finding it a bit difficult to get TOO excited by the trip because it may well be compromised or cancelled by Covid. But fingers crossed...

Granada is indeed a beautiful city and wisely you’re going back for a proper look. There are some lovely apartments to be had in the old gypsy/Jewish area overlooking the Alhambra, much nicer than staying in a hotel and you’re right in the heart of the prettiest part of old Granada.

Sevilla, IMO, is as beautiful as Granada and well worth a couple of days at least. The most amazing cathedral that was once a mosque and dripping in Aztec gold. There’s the beautiful old Jewish quarter with romantic squares and outdoor dining. Authentic (and touristy) flamenco bars. Some of the best tapas in Spain as well as the best restaurants outside of Madrid & Barcelona along with high end designer shops and......well, it’s a fab city and my favourite in Spain after Barcelona.

Oh and if you time your visit when the gypsy ‘falla’ (fiesta) is on you’ll be absolutely blown away (Google it :thumb2).

Andres

We'll have a whole day in Ronda (staying two nights) and a dash down that road to the coast might be a perfect way to spend some time and build up an appetite for the evening.

It's spectacular, but beware of stupid tourists also driving their rental cars on it. When they take their eyes off the road to look at the view they end up on your side of the road :blast.

As Luke says it’s a dangerous road, mainly because of its attraction to tourists who don’t pay attention, and also its the route taken by all the commercial traffic coming up from the coast, it’s a road I avoid, but it does offer some spectacular views.

You must walk the Camino Del Rey in El Torcal, google it, now that is really spectacular, with memories to last you a life time.

Granada is indeed a beautiful city and wisely you’re going back for a proper look. There are some lovely apartments to be had in the old gypsy/Jewish area overlooking the Alhambra, much nicer than staying in a hotel and you’re right in the heart of the prettiest part of old Granada.

Andres

That’s a good recommendation
That area of the Gypsy and Jewish quarter was certainly the most interesting part of the city for me
I also enjoyed the University area and spent a couple of hours wandering around the old Uni buildings and the Music school was most impressive - the quadrangle was stunning

Back
Top Bottom