Back to biking

WeeBriso

Reaction score
Hi after a 6 year break I am thinking of returning to biking.
I am interested in the BMW F850GS, I got to sit on a standard one yesterday and found it a bit high (only 5ft 6)
I dont want to lower as you lose the ESA, so low seat may be fine.
The 750 was a better fit but would prefer the 850.
Is there a big difference in power between the 750 v 850? ..thanks.

F750GS produces 77bhp and 83nm of torque. The F850 produces 95bhp and 92nm of torque.

The 750 was a better fit but would prefer the 850.

I would prefer a K1600 to an R1200, but the K is too bloody heavy and the R1200 is plenty fast enough.

A similar line of thinking should apply to the decision between the 750 and 850GS. Some might argue that the 750 GS is the better street bike - the 850 is clearly better off-road.

Will you be taking a pillion?

Think about what you need. When my wife stopped riding pillion, (we no longer camped) and because of age I needed to stop riding a big bike I whittled my needs down to the following.

1. Ability to hold its own on a dual carriageway.

2. Ability to overtake a lorry on a single carriageway.

3. Ability to carry my camping gear.

4. Light enough to pick up.

I found 40bhp on a light bike suited my needs.

I am not suggesting these are factors you should consider but just illustrating my thought process.

tom

Have a look at Guzzi V85TT

Off-road styling
Low seat height
Shaft drive
Good road manners
Great build finish
Heritage
Relatively light
Great VTwin engine with loads of torque

Up to 4 year warranty & new ones now have tubeless rims

The newer BMW’s of F750/F850 sure are expensive for a parallel twin

Thanks,

after watching a lot of reviews I bought a year old F750GS with really low miles, I get it next week so being a short light weight it will suit me better than the 850.
First mod remove the stock screen and start the battle to get one that works,,:D

Thanks,

after watching a lot of reviews I bought a year old F750GS with really low miles, I get it next week so being a short light weight it will suit me better than the 850.
First mod remove the stock screen and start the battle to get one that works,,:D

Well done ! Get some more experience & confidence back under your belt and you might find you are comfortable stepping up in the future . :thumb

I’m around the same height with a 29” leg the 750 is still a little tall but I manage. The 750 sounds a bit under powered but trust me it’s not it’s a great bike. ENJOY

Welcome to the site & welcome back to biking :aidan

Congrats on the new bike, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it

Back
Top Bottom