Powering up a tom tom

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, Is there any reason i cant power up my tom tom by plugging into the din plug instead of hard wiring it in ?
Thanks Doc

There's no reason why you can't do that (Plug into din), but remember to unplug it every time.

The tomtom mounts have a bit of a habit of tricking the can bus system into thinking there's a charger plugged in and the socket stays live rather than switching off after a few seconds.

The outcome is that the 12v to 5v transformer built into the mount stays live and slowly but very surely drains your battery.

Very much neater to set up a fuse panel to drive al accessories and use a relay to switch it on with the ignition. Positive ignition feeds can be taken from the sidelight, tail light, or my preferred green wire on the diagnostic socket.

Roger.

There's no reason why you can't do that (Plug into din), but remember to unplug it every time.

The tomtom mounts have a bit of a habit of tricking the can bus system into thinking there's a charger plugged in and the socket stays live rather than switching off after a few seconds.

The outcome is that the 12v to 5v transformer built into the mount stays live and slowly but very surely drains your battery.

Very much neater to set up a fuse panel to drive al accessories and use a relay to switch it on with the ignition. Positive ignition feeds can be taken from the sidelight, tail light, or my preferred green wire on the diagnostic socket.

Roger.

Thanks for that. Only thing i would be worried about is water getting in tom tom from were the wire comes out on the back. No hassle to unplug it.

Thanks for that. Only thing i would be worried about is water getting in tom tom from were the wire comes out on the back. No hassle to unplug it.

Are you referring to the mini usb connection, not the DIN plug referred to in your OP?

I’m no expert on TomTom devices but I’d be mildly surprised if someone doesn’t make a waterproof case for one.

As you have a 1600B, wouldn’t it be easier to use the cradle BMW built into the bike’s dashboard? OK that would require using a Garmin but you can pick up Garmin devices secondhand pretty cheaply.

I’m no expert on TomTom devices but I’d be mildly surprised if someone doesn’t make a waterproof case for one.

As you have a 1600B, wouldn’t it be easier to use the cradle BMW built into the bike’s dashboard? OK that would require using a Garmin but you can pick up Garmin devices secondhand pretty cheaply.

Yes i have a Garmin and have used it but prefer tom tom.
Decided i don't want to start changing the wiring as i wont be keeping the bike.

Fair enough.

Just run a fused supply from the battery to the Tom Tom (I assume it’s held in some sort of cradle?) and shove the TomTom into some sort of waterproof bag or case, if necessary. Job done.

Yes,mini usb connection on back of tom tom.

I think the responses thus far are based on your reference to the DIN plug and not the mini-USB that you intended to state.

The mini-USB socket is covered, when not in use, by a rubber sealing plug. A key purpose of that plug, I would suggest, is to prevent water entering the device.

Better to mount it properly and power it as it was intended to be used. However if you only ride in the dry, you should be ok.

I think the responses thus far are based on your reference to the DIN plug and not the mini-USB that you intended to state.

The mini-USB socket is covered, when not in use, by a rubber sealing plug. A key purpose of that plug, I would suggest, is to prevent water entering the device.

Better to mount it properly and power it as it was intended to be used. However if you only ride in the dry, you should be ok.

More rain than sun especially in the uk. I will figure something out.

Is there any reason why I couldn't fasten my wires directly into this Din plug to power up my tom tom ?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20210328_143531.jpg
    20210328_143531.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 20210328_143450.jpg
    20210328_143450.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 140
Assuming the DiN plug socket kicks out the correct voltage and amperage and is somehow suitably fused, it will be fine.

Assuming the DiN plug socket kicks out the correct voltage and amperage and is somehow suitably fused, it will be fine.

Thanks. When i powered up the tom tom from the usb outlet on the back of the tom tom to the din plug it powered up fine. I didn't use a inline fuse. Should i have done ?

It depends on what lies between the DIN socket and the battery, which we have no way of knowing.

If it is an aftermarket DIN socket which someone has just wired straight to the battery, then there is no fuse. That doesn’t matter (as it will still work) but it WILL matter if there is a fault, for example a short in the lead anywhere between the battery and the device. Then the whole lead will become a fuse.... just pray it doesn’t catch fire.

It's a factory fitted one Wapping so would that be fused ?
Thanks

Logically, yes.

You’ll notice that a lot of the cigarette lighter ‘plug in’ connectors, used for anything from GPS devices, phone chargers to kettles, have a fuse in them. This is because the makers of the connectors are never quite sure if the power supply will be fused. Modern BMW bikes all rely on the canbus system to act as a ‘fuse’, meaning that the factory fitted socket is probably fused, so you are good to go..... assuming the output voltage and amperage from the socket is correct for the GPS device.

Thanks again Wapping.
Fingers crossed it works.

Back
Top Bottom