New Software / Firmware

Cheney Triumph

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Firmware version 5.9 just released, I could not find it on Garmin Express, but available direct on the XT itself.

That's one of the great things about them. You don't have to plug in - do it all from WiFi without going near the computer. Just looking forward to being able to get out and use it properly. I know the way to the supermarket now!

The new firmware together with the Garmin Express update seems to have done the following:

1) added a new function to GE called map manager, I’m not sure what it does
2) removed the option to install maps onto the computer
3) OSM maps routing no longer works, ie the maps are there but can’t be used to route a-b.

At the moment it’s not clear if these actions are deliberate or are bugs. The new Garmin Montana 700i, which has City Navigator maps, has never allowed a user to download maps to Basecamp and steers instead to the shite Garmin Explore website and app.

Map Manager, is (at least, was) the separate Garmin software that copies maps and their unlock codes into the correct position on a home computer. From memory, I use it to safely delete old versions of maps, too.

Odd that Garmin have removed an option to download the detailed mapsets onto a home computer, therefore requiring a Garmin GPS device be attached each time you want to plot a detailed route.

Map Manager, is (at least, was) the separate Garmin software that copies maps and their unlock codes into the correct position on a home computer. From memory, I use it to safely delete old versions of maps, too.

Odd that Garmin have removed an option to download the detailed mapsets onto a home computer, therefore requiring a Garmin GPS device be attached each time you want to plot a detailed route.

It’s not that map manager, it’s a menu item now in GE, when your device is plugged in. I’ll post a screen shot later

I thought it was a momentary bug. Some people on the Garmin forums reported that Garmin acknowledged it as a bug.

But... I'm updating the new maps on the Zumo and contacted Garmin Support over the inability of saving a local copy on my Mac, and I got this:

er-minio: Hi, I see that with the latest firmare update it is not possible to install the maps locally (on the computer) anymore. Is this intentional, or is it a bug? Using the maps via the Zumo over USB is quite slow. Thanks
[...]
er-minio: Software version 6.10
garmin support person: Thank you, so that is indeed intended as it is the same as most of our other devices the maps preinstalled on the unit are locked to the unit they came on so to use them in basecamp to make routes you will need the device plugged in
er-minio: But this makes it significantly slower.
er-minio: The only solution then is to buy the maps separately?
garmin support person: so you can either use it with the device plugged in or to buy separate maps
er-minio: ok
er-minio: Hope Garmin changes its mind about this, as it is unpractical.
er-minio: Thanks anyway!

The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Garmin basically "semi-bricked" lifetimes maps.
I guess this might be in the view of moving from BaseCamp to Express.
I hope they realise people use computers in places where there is no internet connections sometimes.

Not the same device but when I updated my Zumo 350 via my desktop this morning I selected "Install to device and computer" and Basecamp sees the maps. I haven't tried Basecamp on its own on that machine yet but I used Javawa's GMTK to copy the maps to my laptop and Basecamp will plan me a route without the Zumo being connected. Probably no help to Mac users as Javawa won't run under Catalina and later but might help Windows users.

You can create a disk image (with the map files inside) on Macs and basecamp will think the unit is connected.
Still, I'd rather not.

Gents. Thanks for all this.

Somehow I have managed to download 2021.1 maps into Basecamp. But now I'm pondering the benefits, or lack thereof, updating the device... As already mentioned, it's a right pain building routes and having to use the device's maps.

In addition. The business with safety camera updates. Has this gone too? As Er-minio says, have they half bricked lifetime maps????!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yes Richard, that is very annoying, that Garmin have removed this option of Home or Laptop computer having preinstalled maps, other than somewhat useless Global map.
With latest maps updated and XT plugged in, I can't see nowhere near as much detail as I once was able to. So I now will be plotting routes, using methods I have worked out in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom