Help!? Clutch actuation arm and push rod R850R: source for parts?

Ogmios

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The actuating arm at the gearbox - mine snapped in two today. . :mad:
Not exactly heay duty metal is it?

ANYhow,
I have searched the Irish section for threads that might help / found nothing that actually helped in FINDING a parts supplier.
Even following links to suggested EU located alternatives to Motorworks / U.K based suppliers revealed nothing i can actually go and order from.

So,
Any suggestions folks?

Anyone by chance got an Actuating arm they could sell me? :bow Please. :)

I think i may get a pushrod too, as having recently replaced the thrust bearing assembly it's all that's left that could have caused the failure. I think. :confused:

But first - find the parts! :blast
i'll try the local "official" dealer tomorrow of course, but don't really want to remortgage the house. :rolleyes:
.. and the Old Faithful; City Spares Breakers.

Wish me luck - i'll report back.
~~
... oh - minor detail i forgot;
i got to fix Mrs Og Street Magic moped first ~ as it's now my only transport. :eek:
That thing is such a hoot to ride - that'll cheer me up!:D

Og, I think it's deliberately specced as a sacrificial part, to shear in instances of pushrod piston or (very common) pivot bearing seizure.
If you had a much stronger clutch arm and a seized pivot bearing, it might lead to shearing of the cast mounting lugs from the gearbox.
You don't want that to happen...

Og, I think it's deliberately specced as a sacrificial part,....
If you had a much stronger clutch arm and a seized pivot bearing, it might lead to shearing of the cast mounting lugs from the gearbox.
You don't want that to happen...
Ah.
Good point well made. :eek:
Ta for that.

.... but then why don't they make it easier to bodge a 'Get Me Home' arrangement?! :nenau
I had a hell of a job fitting a box spanner over the broken stub and a vice grips on the end of that so i had my very own 'Suicide Clutch' to get home with. :D

Ah.
Good point well made. :eek:
Ta for that.

.... but then why don't they make it easier to bodge a 'Get Me Home' arrangement?! :nenau

It's even easier to keep the bearing and piston clean and lubricated. :D :augie

Ah my old bike. I think I replaced that arm with a second hand one in 2009 ish. They are made of cheese. Why not buy one from Motorworks? It’ll cost a few quid more now with brexit but it beats being off the road.

Soz, chucked the push rod years ago and the previous arm broke in 2011. On Talbot st. I remember starting the bike in first and I broke every traffic light on the way home. Best of luck with it.

Ah my old bike. I think I replaced that arm with a second hand one in 2009 ish. They are made of cheese. Why not buy one from Motorworks? It’ll cost a few quid more now with brexit but it beats being off the road.

Those push rods are heavy duty things. Doubt that failed. I actually bought one of those too at the time but doubt it’s still in the box. I’ll check tomorrow.

It's even easier to keep the bearing and piston clean and lubricated. :D :augie
Ahem! my 'rod is well lubed i'll have you know!

Maybe First Choice Breakers in Wicklow.
It is hard to find breakers dealing in BMW parts.
Too true it's hard to find BMW breakers!
I'll Remember First Choice - Ta for that.

... I remember starting the bike in first and I broke every traffic light on the way home. Best of luck with it.
.... Riverdance going on in yer gearbox. :eek: I used 3rd gear and looked for a hill. :blast

ANYhow,
i am sorted for now. (Thanking the Bikers version of St. Jude ;) - of Hopeless Cases fame :rolleyes:)
There's got to be a simpler way of finding a replacement for Motorworks though.

Now, i'm off to bed. Spent half the day trying to fix that moped... the other half pushing the fecker home. I'm knackered.
Will think tomorrow.

If presented again I’d use second gear. When I grow up maybe third. Lol.

When lockdown ends, I’d love rip n barbera.

The actuating arm at the gearbox - mine snapped in two today. . :mad:
Not exactly heay duty metal is it?

ANYhow,
I have searched the Irish section for threads that might help / found nothing that actually helped in FINDING a parts supplier.
Even following links to suggested EU located alternatives to Motorworks / U.K based suppliers revealed nothing i can actually go and order from.

So,
Any suggestions folks?

Anyone by chance got an Actuating arm they could sell me? :bow Please. :)

I think i may get a pushrod too, as having recently replaced the thrust bearing assembly it's all that's left that could have caused the failure. I think. :confused:

But first - find the parts! :blast
i'll try the local "official" dealer tomorrow of course, but don't really want to remortgage the house. :rolleyes:
.. and the Old Faithful; City Spares Breakers.

Wish me luck - i'll report back.
~~
... oh - minor detail i forgot;
i got to fix Mrs Og Street Magic moped first ~ as it's now my only transport. :eek:
That thing is such a hoot to ride - that'll cheer me up!:D

I think Ive got an arm from the 1100 gs that might fit I'll have a look tomorrow

First off;
Thank you Smelly Old Boots and Thank you West Coast gser. :thumb

I got an arm. :)

Update.

Found the reason the arm broke.

It seems that when i replaced the thrust bearing a few months ago that despite my best efforts looking up that little dark tunnel to see and remove all the remains of the old one....
i didn't. :blast
There was a mess of parts and swarf and iron filings. Cleaned what i thought was EVERY piece out of there.
But it wasn't.

Pic1 and 2 below show what i initially took out.
You'd think (well I did!) that was everything. Nope.
The last pic shows the "new" thrust bearing on the left and beside it - what came out last night. :eek:
St. Jude of BM's got me out of the problem with a used arm. (Thank you).
... but i'm ordering an aftermarket steel arm from Maddocks to stop me worrying anyhow. :hide

I know some dont like Maddocks - but money has no friends and i have to say i have never had a problem with them.... my wallet has on occasion :augie:D but moving swiftly on...

Prices;
i certainly researched this and bottom line is that the price from Maddocks and being local and no VAT or Excise duty worries is only about €20 more than Motorworks. .... and no postage from U.K. to add :thumb2

So i think that's the best i could have done and unless something dramatically changes it's where i'll be going in future. :nenau

Attachments

• thrust bearingS pic1.jpg
    thrust bearingS pic1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 71
  • thrust bearingS pic2.jpg
    thrust bearingS pic2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 66
  • thrust bearingS pic3.jpg
    thrust bearingS pic3.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 67
Looking at the last pic I can now see why I thought I had removed all of the old thrust bearing.
The 2nd from the left piece - was all i could see and I thought it was the end of the push rod!
If it hadn't fallen out When I I removed the new thrust bearing .... :O

Wow, you left half the bearing in :barf

Glad you got it sorted Og. Good idea about the steel arm. God knows why they made them from aluminium in the first place.

Glad you got it sorted Og. Good idea about the steel arm. God knows why they made them from aluminium in the first place.

Because they did the job

I don't agree Og, the steel arm "could cause " more damage than it fixes

At least when the aluminium breaks you stop and fix it

But with the steel arm that you is 140yoyos to buy (and very likely the used arm will still be fine when the clutch change is due) Its quite possible with bearing failure it could gouge that tunnel Whilst you merrily try adjusting the clutch and fiddling long after the alloy would have broken

Why they fail? A lot of folks sit with the clutch lever pulled in at lights and in traffic and that tiny little bearing eventually burns off the original grease and can get awfully hot as can be evidenced from the photos

Back
Top Bottom