Garmin Battery Query

Mallard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve got 2 Sat-Navs. A Nav 5, and an older Zumo 395.

Neither have been used lately, and they’ve both been switched off and kept in a drawer, but each time I get them out, the battery on the Nav 5 needs charging while the battery on the 395 remains full.

This has always been a problem with the Nav 5 since I’ve had it and never a problem with the 395.

Is this a common problem with 5’s, or is my battery on its way out?

To turn the Nav V off completely, hold the power button down and slide to turn off. The battery will still flatten itself even so, just slower than in sleep mode. It won’t damage it.

I always turn it off Never leave it in sleep mode. So, are you saying that flattening the battery is normal on a Nav5?

Same thing happens on my Nav 6 too, even when turned proper off. Meanwhile my old Zumo 550 holds its charge for many many months.

Same thing happens on my Nav 6 too, even when turned proper off. Meanwhile my old Zumo 550 holds its charge for many many months.

If anyone doesn’t use a GPS device for months, it matters not that the battery is flat.

Don't disagree with your last comment Wapping, but I think that part of the question is why do Nav5's run their batteries down (when they're switched off) when other units like my 395 and Mulcher's 550 stay charged. If my bike was doing something similar, I'd be thinking that the battery was on its way out.

Back
Top Bottom