Ukraine maps, which ones?

What a coincidence. I'm on my way to Lviv and Kolomya as we speak. Should be there in about a week. Went last year too and it was fine, I've never bought insurance at the border but will keep an eye out next week when I go in and let you know.

What a coincidence. I'm on my way to Lviv and Kolomya as we speak. Should be there in about a week. Went last year too and it was fine, I've never bought insurance at the border but will keep an eye out next week when I go in and let you know.
That is a coincidence !

Do you mind if I ask where you get vehicle insurance , if not at the border ?

Have a great trip :beerjug:

That is a coincidence !

Do you mind if I ask where you get vehicle insurance , if not at the border ?

Have a great trip :beerjug:
I'm one of those naughty people who don't bother with insurance for Ukraine. I may have to buy some this time though if I'm on the lookout for one for you :)

I'm one of those naughty people who don't bother with insurance for Ukraine. I may have to buy some this time though if I'm on the lookout for one for you :)
:thumb:beerjug:

I’m planning on going next year, not least because foreign travel is not (at the moment at least) on the cards.
if you need some extra contacts I have a few folks that can be of help...

he's been very quiet for a while, so he's either busy or dead... will update my thread on the whole ukrainian saga...
Dead busy :unsure:

Think that I have to call my insurance..can only ask.

I still plan on going to Ukraine, before I turn up my toes. Whilst it’s far removed from the dreadful events in the country, I can sort of imagine the warm welcome the fellow received. We were lucky to go to France, when the vast bulk of the UK and much of Europe wasn’t moving during Covid. The locals loved us, genuinely pleased we had made an effort to legally go. Yes, Covid is not a brutal war, by any stretch of the imagination, but the underlying similarity is there.

Glad yiu found the map information useful.

And some great map info here.

Well
I went in via the Budomierz border port. Queues were so much shorter than last year and I was through in an hour (I rode to the front of the queue). On the Ukrainian side there is nothing apart from a few Charity tents, no insurance, no shop, nothing. Nothing on the Polish side either. I exited via Uzhhorod into Slovakia. This one took 2 hours as its a bit smaller. I rode to the front of the first queue (to be let into the border area) but once in the border area I did not ride to the front of that queue (only 10 cars) but I was told that I should have. Once again no insurance or anything either side of the border (just bizarrely a fancy restaurant on the Ukrainian side)

Got stopped at a few checkpoints, only got asked for insurance once and just blagged it.

Have fun.

Well

I went in via the Budomierz border port. Queues were so much shorter than last year and I was through in an hour (I rode to the front of the queue). On the Ukrainian side there is nothing apart from a few Charity tents, no insurance, no shop, nothing. Nothing on the Polish side either. I exited via Uzhhorod into Slovakia. This one took 2 hours as its a bit smaller. I rode to the front of the first queue (to be let into the border area) but once in the border area I did not ride to the front of that queue (only 10 cars) but I was told that I should have. Once again no insurance or anything either side of the border (just bizarrely a fancy restaurant on the Ukrainian side)

Got stopped at a few checkpoints, only got asked for insurance once and just blagged it.

Have fun.
That's great information, appreciate you taking the time to look around (y)

Might just be a case of wing it and see...I can get travel insurance from a Ukrainian based company so I'll keep looking and see if anything turns up.

:beerjug:

And I'm likely to use the smaller crossing at Medyka.

Having been a number of times between independence and Russia annexing Crimea, I’m not sure what the attraction is ?

Having been a number of times between independence and Russia annexing Crimea, I’m not sure what the attraction is ?
Then please don't bother ' contributing'...

Just come across this topic and reading it is pretty sad given the passage of time ...

I went to Kiev by air in February 2019 when I was the Trans Euto Trail Linesman for Spain for a very informal summit meeting of several others organised by the Ukrainian Linesman, Oleksii Burlachenko, and we all had an amazing time.

You can find Oleksii on the TET webste.

Then please don't bother ' contributing'...
I’m genuinely interested. My father is married to a Ukrainian so I have what might be described as blended family. Some are in Berdyans, so currently under Russian control, others in Lviv Oblast with more currently in Germany. Two will be here for the summer holidays.

As I said, I’ve been a number of times, my experience of Ukraine is that it is very similar to other former USSR countries, so my question stands, what has Ukraine got that interests people to go, especially when it is relatively difficult to get to, even in peacetime.

Beyond the cliched “Because it’s there”, I guess.

I wanted to go, not least because I had never been. The complex history of the huge country interested me, whilst reading this book, even going as far as to contact the author in America for some additional help and details gave me an additional purpose.

The Ravine, Wendy Lower

Publisher's Synopsis​

A strikingly original book about a terrible photograph - an exceptionally rare image documenting the horrific final moment of the murder of a family in Ukraine. A Times Book of the Year'A very rare kind of picture... To the murdered others, this book is an act of restitution' David Aaronovitch, The Times'Detective work of the highest and most gripping order'Philippe Sands 'Lower's pursuit of the truth is both captivating and meticuous' TLS 'Extraordinary and spell-binding' Daily Mail 'One photograph. That's what it took to start Wendy Lower on an incredible journey of discovery' Deborah Lipstadt The terrible mass shootings in Poland and the Ukraine are often neglected in studies of the Holocaust, because the perpetrators were meticulously careful to avoid leaving any evidence of their actions. Wendy Lower stumbled across one such piece of evidence - a photograph documenting the shooting of a mother and her children and the men who killed them - and has crafted a forensically brilliant and moving study that brings the larger horror of the genocide into focus. Shortlisted for the Historical Writers' Association Non-Fiction Crown.

In brief, Lower (an American lecturer / professor) was given the photograph in America. The grainy photo had somehow travelled across war torn Europe and survived for umpteen years. She identified the location, the victims and, not least, the two men with guns, beyond all reasonable doubt, many years after the event. It is detective work and intuition of the highest order; damning in its conclusions but a living testament to the untraceable nameless millions who were murdered.

I had roughed out the route Calais > Kiev > Calais, without a great deal of thought or detail. I then tracked down the very small village, which sometimes alters its spelling. I found it on the map and, to my amazement, the roughed out magenta line in BaseCamp went straight through it. That is the equivalent of a rough route from the tip of Scotland to somewhere in Africa, going straight past my front door in central London.

I have no illusions that the bulk of the countryside is anything but fields, forests, rivers and all but flat. But so what, if I want mountains and twisties, I can just copy where every Tom, Dick and Harry goes and reports back that it’s awesome, mate.

Last edited:
I absolutely understand the, because it’s there and the challenge of getting through the bureaucracy that Ukraine has in almost Indian quantities. For me that isn’t sufficient a draw, I’d rather try and see something I haven’t seen.

What I have seen in Ukraine is lots of militaria displays & statues. The architecture is pure Soviet.

I’m genuinely interested. My father is married to a Ukrainian so I have what might be described as blended family. Some are in Berdyans, so currently under Russian control, others in Lviv Oblast with more currently in Germany. Two will be here for the summer holidays.

As I said, I’ve been a number of times, my experience of Ukraine is that it is very similar to other former USSR countries, so my question stands, what has Ukraine got that interests people to go, especially when it is relatively difficult to get to, even in peacetime.
My apologies, I misunderstood your post.
What interests me ? I have never travelled to Russia or any of the ' Stans ' , so for me it would partly be the culture and the total contrast to anywhere Western.
And the Carpathian Mountains sweep down through the South West and that's where I want to go this time..looks to be very quiet and beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom