XR away tomorrow.

leasky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
N.E Scotland / Middle of the sand pit....
Tomorrow is my last day on the XR after over 4 happy years.

She has been a good bike but I never really felt as comfortable on her as I did on a GSA - I suppose she was just too sports orientated for me.

My mate has bought her from me and I have gone back to a GSA again.

Attachments

• 472F2263-2D18-4D11-8C0A-A528291262D3.jpg
    472F2263-2D18-4D11-8C0A-A528291262D3.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 615
  • E336DE32-4309-4268-8E74-902FE92FEA29.jpg
    E336DE32-4309-4268-8E74-902FE92FEA29.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 604
Why on earth do people spoil the bikes looks with fugly oversized top boxes?

Doesn't matter how pretty it looks if you don't have what you need when you get to where you're going.

Had my XR for 200 miles before going straight back to a GS. Same reason as you OP, just a quicker decision :D

Because they're needed for a shopping trip/helmet storage/practicality and that overrides their need to have a bike to just look good to others ??

I rode a mates XR last summer. It felt wonderful to ride but boy was I happy to drop back from 160hp to my 95hp AT. The XR just felt like it wanted to 'go' constantly. (I'm obviously too old and slow for something like that. :rob )

Strange question I have to say and I would have thought the answer to be pretty obvious to a long standing member of a GS forum. Unless of course it was just a cheap, derogatory question which served no real purpose.....?

Not a derogatory question. The GS is fine after all the GS is a bike that only its mother would love the looks of. But the XR top box IMHO looks dreadful.

Only my view of course.:aidan

The XR is pretty ugly to start with so what does it matter. It’s not like whacking one on a panigale!

The XR is pretty ugly to start with so what does it matter. It’s not like whacking one on a panigale!

Wot, like dis ?

e4d83ed338f537ac950fb2688510097d.jpg

0b6c0055f6a5f128e48f4e6ecbb28cd0.jpg

Spent a lot of time on an XR at work, and it never really did it for me. I found it pretty bland with no character or soul ...

:nenau

“I found it pretty bland with no character or soul ... “

You obviously hadn’t worked out how the throttle worked on an XR!!

Ha!

Sorry if i'm getting old and sounding like yer Grandad repeating the same stories every time you see him!

I have banged on so many times about soul and character, how its interesting that some bikes have them and some don't and how the hell you engineer that?!

A bit of a generalisation on my part but you could argue that Jap bikes (You Mr Honda) build fantastic bikes, but they're completely soulless. Where as every KTM I've ever owned has had a real character, a personality ... It spoke to you! Ducati much the same I should imagine. My Tuono just oozes 'character'. Sure I'd have a new R1 in the garage, of course! But I'm not kidding myself that it would probably just be a super sharp tool to do a job and i probably wouldn't 'love it' :D

The XR left me pretty cold. Fastish bike but .... and ? Yeah? is that is? Just ... reasonably fast ?? (and lets be honest ... it wasn't bonkers fast .. )

:beerjug:

Ha!

Sorry if i'm getting old and sounding like yer Grandad repeating the same stories every time you see him!

I have banged on so many times about soul and character, how its interesting that some bikes have them and some don't and how the hell you engineer that?!

A bit of a generalisation on my part but you could argue that Jap bikes (You Mr Honda) build fantastic bikes, but they're completely soulless. Where as every KTM I've ever owned has had a real character, a personality ... It spoke to you! Ducati much the same I should imagine. My Tuono just oozes 'character'. Sure I'd have a new R1 in the garage, of course! But I'm not kidding myself that it would probably just be a super sharp tool to do a job and i probably wouldn't 'love it' :D

The XR left me pretty cold. Fastish bike but .... and ? Yeah? is that is? Just ... reasonably fast ?? (and lets be honest ... it wasn't bonkers fast .. )

:beerjug:

My XR was the same. It was a lovely colour, great engine, rode well up to 100 but was sterile. Everytime I rode it I wanted to go completely bonkers on it and unless I was it was simply transport. I really wanted to love it but didn't.

I have more fun bouncing round the corners of smaller lanes on my 390 Duke or Monkey and am unlikely to be sent to prison.

Back
Top Bottom