Shift assist Pro issue

Akulaking

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Recently bought a 2014 R1200RT with Shift Assist Pro. Unfortunately it doesn’t work. Can’t get hold of the previous owner to ask about it, but I know the bike was laid up for a while. The system is totally unresponsive down or up shifting, like it’s not fitted.
I’ve done the 10 seconds in each gear then switch off routine a couple of times, but it has had no effect. I’ve seen some suggestions that it does/doesn’t need a reset with GS911, so that might be where I need to go. I’ll take it in to a main dealer as a last resort, but wondered if anyone can offer any help/suggestions on here first.
Thanks, Chris.

are you sure it is fitted any photos its an optional extra not standard fit just saying

Think so?

It’s on the build sheet too.

Attachments

• 2E0E5F56-EFCB-4161-98BC-58F71BFE9EAA.jpg
    2E0E5F56-EFCB-4161-98BC-58F71BFE9EAA.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 365
My S1000R has two micro switches, only visible from the underside of the clutch lever housing, which are something to do with the QS. I’ve read that if the clutch lever is changed and not reinstalled properly, the little blades from the micro switches don’t align, causing the QS not to operate.

I don’t know if that’s the case on your bike, but it might be worth having a quick look.

Edit. I’ve just seen that there was a recall for a screw or bolt to be changed somewhere in the QS system, so it might be worth checking if that was done.

Yes, there was a recall and the software was updated at the same time, both should be done free or charge by the dealer

Found this on another thread and it worked for my mates 2014 shift assist which stopped working.

This is the learning process:

No gs911 needed. Method I found was .......Ride bike holding it in each gear In sequence for at least 10 seconds from 1st to 6th using the clutch at each change. After 10 secs in 6th, pull and hold in the clutch and go straight down to 1st, stop and turn off the ignition. Give it long enough to completely shut down the can bus etc and then you can power on and ride normally. The changes have to be done with the clutch as the clutch switch tells the ecu when to start/stop the learning for each gear.

This is the cleaning bit:

HI there, apols if posted before but I thought id let anyone interested know I found a fix for a non or intermittent functioning quick shift unit which has since resolved three others similar faulty shifts.

I am on my second lc now and this was the first with GSAP etc, when I got it I found that the shift was almost impossible to rely on and frequently didn't shift at all, I spoke to the dealer (although it was a trade sale) they just told me its generally very heavy to use and only worked after the heavyish throttle changes, (which didn't seem very right)

Anyway (I'm a fully skilled time served engineer but not worked on quick shifts before) I thought i'd have a look at the unit and see what it consisted of.

The little unit itself slips off in 5 minutes (mind the small collar inside the shaft end which is easy to miss) and when on the bench you are looking at the thing which consists of the mechanical spring loaded magnet section (mine was actually quite sticky on the collar which didn't help) and then a small electrical unit that bolts on with 2 small torx screws and acts as the pick up for the Hall effect etc when activated by the spring loaded movement.

This is sealed but the amazing piece of crap design (presumably its not on purpose?) is that when seated properly and screwed together there is a 10-15 thou gap between the two and bearing in mind its proximity to the road and the fact that there is a reasonably powerful magnet in the mechanical section it is ripe for getting full of small ferrous material which then presumably can interfere with the hall affect.

I cleaned mine up (it was like a small iron filing bank!) and reassembled with a slither of silicon to prevent reoccurrence, popped it back on and lo and behold a main dealer 'they're all like that sir' was consigned to history and once re set and re learned (10 secs per gear) it now changes like a champ and works like a brand new one! needing very light throttle and working down and up perfectly, I have since completed this on other mates bikes with similar issues and resolution.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to do the job which takes no longer than 30 mins in total with a tea break! but be cautious when torquing small shaft bolt back up (I use thread lock) and be sure not to overtighten and strip.

This is advice only (and of interest from the design side) and plse undertake any work at your own risk etc. The cynics out there could assume its all a plan to make the gearshift harder as time passes (and the inevitable filings interfere with the signal) but I don't believe in conspiracy theories, I think its just a bad design. (although easily remedied)

Great news Casbar, really pleased you have sorted it and also, let us all into the secret.

Thank you, keep on the grey bits!

Back
Top Bottom