The 701 Info Thread.

Went on fine with the Rabaconda Mike.
Both bikes set bang in the middle on suspenders.
690 is Crumbles previous bike - don’t think it’s been lowered although it is lower than the 701

I’d suggest the back of the 690 is lowered,
Buggering up the rake/trail.either put more preload on the rear spring.
Or drop the yokes down the forks by 20mm and see iif it improves things.
Drop pressures to 25 as well.
Things may improve once the tyres have bedded in

Will talk to Adventure Spec tomorrow about them as they shouldn’t cause that.
Might send them back and go with the Annakee Wilds as I know at least they work.

701 is only just on 4K miles
690 is 20k
No noticeable difference in them - no discernible play on 690 and definitely not tight
Pressure set at 26 F/R
Doesn’t explain why the 701 is weaving as well

Will talk to Adventure Spec tomorrow about them as they shouldn’t cause that.
Might send them back and go with the Annakee Wilds as I know at least they work.

If the 690 is the same with the husky f wheel ,you might want to investigate the 690 a bit more?
Loose head races?
Something different with the geometry?
On both my 690 and the now gone 950,being a shorty means I’d lowered the back on both bikes,
I also dropped the front to match,
Both bikes started to get “ nervous “ at high speed.
Certainly not 60 though

Rewind/ pause.
Both bikes are unstable?

First thought was to throw the Husky front in 690 just in case.
Absolutely no difference.
Thought I’d check the Husky to make sure my recollection of riding it last time out was right. Been over the ton without issue so not sure.
Same weave as 690 now but not until 75’ish
690 was stable above 70 with Trackers on it other than light front as I’d expect from knobblies

First thought was to throw the Husky front in 690 just in case.
Absolutely no difference.
Thought I’d check the Husky to make sure my recollection of riding it last time out was right. Been over the ton without issue so not sure.
Same weave as 690 now but not until 75’ish
690 was stable above 70 with Trackers on it other than light front as I’d expect from knobblies
Worth giving the supplier the heads up,then give it 100 miles or so to bed in.
I’ve read a few reviews on some of the harder compound tyres,all say they need a lot of bedding in.
No personal experience though as I won’t use hard compound tyres.
I once got dumped on my arse on a set of k60 scouts,never again!!

These are the tubes ones as the 690 doesn’t weigh what the twins, etc do.
Will talk to AS tomorrow
Just as an aside - 701 is 950mm seat height and 690 910mm standard.
Will measure them both tomorrow as well

Definitely tyres.
Swapped 701 wheels into the 690 to eliminate possible wheel issues and it’s as bad.
Tried dropping forks up to 20mm through and it made no real difference.
Added rear preload - no difference.
Seat height is bang on 930mm so not lowered.
Putting Trackers back on for now.

Definitely tyres.
Swapped 701 wheels into the 690 to eliminate possible wheel issues and it’s as bad.
Tried dropping forks up to 20mm through and it made no real difference.
Added rear preload - no difference.
Seat height is bang on 930mm so not lowered.
Putting Trackers back on for now.

Similar thing happened to me when I had the CCM - put a set of Motoz on for Iceland trip and the feckin thing was virtually un-rideable above 50mp[h, and weaved and tracked over the place. I didn't have time to change to anything else so used them for the trip and they weren't too back off road and settled a bit over time, but not much. Changed them as soon as I got back and all went back to normal.

I guess some bikes just don't like them!

The 701 came with them on from Stelvio1
They’re ok on that with a little weave above 85 that you can ride through.
The 690 is lethal with them on.
Just back after putting the Trackers back on and there’s the slightest weave from 70’ish but they are a road legal FIM Enduro tyre so fully expect that.
That’s just fitting them, with rim locks and going out. No balancing. And they’re fine.
We tried everything with the Rall. The amount of weight to get them to run clean was 160g!
Even then above 60 and the weave is something like the Pan European death weave!!
Waiting on Adventure Spec to get back to me.

Morning guys, just before i fitted mine my brother bought a set with a different front, sorry but cant remember name of it but it was a motoz. It was unusable and taken straight off so there maybe a quality control issue with them?

Well Stella service from Adventure Spec.
No quibbles, done everything they’d suggest so a full refund sorted.
So then - what tyres would you lot recommend?

So then - what tyres would you lot recommend?

I'm still on the original TKCs which are fine but I've not had to use them in mud yet.................. (it's actually the first time I've ever used them and can't quite believe how good they are on the road and reasonable in dry dirt).

When up for replacement I'll be going for MT21's. A bit old skool now but I've had them on so many bikes over the years I'm just really used to how they handle on and off road.
For me they are a good compromise between reasonable road manners, good grip in dry/loose stuff/rocks and acceptable in mud. I'm not however expecting them to last long on the 701............

Andres

The 80 Twinduros?

In fairness the Trackers have been brilliant and awesome off road as you’d expect but as this is her main bike, something more road oriented will be better.

The 80 Twinduros?

In fairness the Trackers have been brilliant and awesome off road as you’d expect but as this is her main bike, something more road oriented will be better.

Yes, Conti TKC80's - pretty damn good as a road orientated knobblie - ask Redrick on here (Ducati MS) who I did a Rapid training day with on both wet and dry roads :thumb

Andres

TKC80s are surprisingly good on the road for me, and OK off road as long as it's not (too) wet. They don't last long though.

I have Trackers on a second set of wheels for proper off road excursions. They don't last long either :D

Back
Top Bottom