The 701 Info Thread.

Word of warning chaps,
Try and be a bit gentle when heaving on the rack or handles etc,
The captive nuts in the tank can pull out if subjected to enough force

Attachments

• EAF49263-5A20-4ABA-ABFD-62613708862D.jpg
    EAF49263-5A20-4ABA-ABFD-62613708862D.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 271
Daft question but where’s the rev limiter set on 701 ?
Redline on my Berotec is preset to 7500 rpm and I’ve gone past that but not hit a limiter yet .

I've never found the limiter. I'm sure there is one, but it just seems to rev forever.

I've never found the limiter. I'm sure there is one, but it just seems to rev forever.

Same here, revy little fucker isn't it! AND noisy, jeez that lump's like a bag of flipping spanners.......(made all the worse since I 'silenced' my Wings can, there's defo an advantage to loud cans!).

Andres

Since riding the Husky with lovely slim grips, I've really come to dislike the great fat heated things on the KTM and have even considered taking them off. Really odd, as I've not had a problem with them before.

Mmmmmm, well I've fitted the Oxford heated grips now and whilst I have got used to them I have to say I much prefer the slim 'standard' grips.

Andres

Mmmmmm, well I've fitted the Oxford heated grips now and whilst I have got used to them I have to say I much prefer the slim 'standard' grips.

Andres

aah-ahhh! You have a woman’s hand, milord! I’ll wager these dainty pinkies never weighed anchor
in a storm.

Finally got to use the lights on my Nomad-kitted LR this week amd especially tonight heading back through Brittany from Spain.

I’ve got the Baja Squadron lights and they are very bright.

e11205f46df6f7820db8d122ea62bd61.jpg

6836ee573b4ba23c33f112aed648d35b.jpg

Dip

ba48a47f79922e3be569ff821bc81828.jpg

Main

cef9c218723cf29e60b1cc9604018fb7.jpg

Both

763a5bf40f2a1c370401005691d0fd8f.jpg

( The main beam only pic almost looks brighter than the main and dip but it’s because the fill in with both on takes away the illusion of brightness on the main only, if that makes sense.)

Had my 701 suspension set up this morning at Race Lab in Bournemouth.

Not much done in the end at it was almost there as it was*. Just a few tweaks to the damping to balance it out.

*As it was when I bought it and ignored ever since, as I thought it was OK :)

The previously mentioned Rally-Raid spring and Hydraulic adjuster wouldn't fit my shock, so I got my money back and went back to stock.

Finally got to use the lights on my Nomad-kitted LR this week amd especially tonight heading back through Brittany from Spain.

I’ve got the Baja Squadron lights and they are very bright.

e11205f46df6f7820db8d122ea62bd61.jpg

6836ee573b4ba23c33f112aed648d35b.jpg

Dip

ba48a47f79922e3be569ff821bc81828.jpg

Main

cef9c218723cf29e60b1cc9604018fb7.jpg

Both

763a5bf40f2a1c370401005691d0fd8f.jpg

( The main beam only pic almost looks brighter than the main and dip but it’s because the fill in with both on takes away the illusion of brightness on the main only, if that makes sense.)

I don't know if it's a trick of the light but i can even see the trees in the distance on main but can't see them with both on; have you got the captions mixed up.?

I don't know if it's a trick of the light but i can even see the trees in the distance on main but can't see them with both on; have you got the captions mixed up.?

Nope.
I think it’s because with both on , it fills in the gaps so in a photo it looks possibly not as bright .

Had my 701 suspension set up this morning at Race Lab in Bournemouth.

Not much done in the end at it was almost there as it was*. Just a few tweaks to the damping to balance it out.

*As it was when I bought it and ignored ever since, as I thought it was OK :)

The previously mentioned Rally-Raid spring and Hydraulic adjuster wouldn't fit my shock, so I got my money back and went back to stock.

What a pain re the adjuster but TBH, once set up it doesn't really need adjusting; I can live with it being a bit off when loaded, for the few times it is, or I guess if it really bothers me just use the drift and lump hammer method ;)

How do you find the suspension?

I've fucked around with mine loads to try and get it where I want it and whilst greatly improved and in reality not bad I still find it still a bit harsh at the back when I'd expect it to float. Sag is cock on and the spring rate is right for my weight.
This was throne into sharp relief when I had a go on Toddy's 690 which was like a magic carpet ride compared to mine........oooh and that Scotts steering damper he had fitted, first time I've ridden a bike with one, was just flipping lovely. I'd only thought they were of use to riding gods but boy even at my incompetent level it made a huge difference.

Whatever, I'm slowly talking myself into throwing some proper money at the suspension :rolleyes: and quite possibly a steering damper..............this bike is gonna end up costing me more than a Dakar replica at this rate but I do love her, she's worth it :D

Andres

I'm just back from 2 days riding with the TRF in Wiltshire. Suspension was fine. Paul at Race Labs only made small adjustments, said he was making he front/rear "balanced". I'd say that's what he's done, feels great.

What I don't understand is how the stock spring can be right for both of us? Anyway it works for me.

I'm thinking of buying a lighter bike and I swapped bikes with a guy on a Rieju Ranger for a few miles. massively lighter and more nimble, but the suspension was horribly hard, with the back kicking up without much provocation. It was great fun, but getting back on my bike was like a Cadillac in comparison.

I'm just back from 2 days riding with the TRF in Wiltshire. Suspension was fine. Paul at Race Labs only made small adjustments, said he was making he front/rear "balanced". I'd say that's what he's done, feels great.

Aw that's great :) Maybe I need to persevere a bit more with mine :thumb2 I did like the damper though, not just on fast open stuff but even slower it just kept the bike tracking straight when little hits would be deflecting the bars all the time......a lot of money though.

What I don't understand is how the stock spring can be right for both of us? Anyway it works for me.

I say the spring rate is correct on mine.......I set the sag with no issues so assume it is :nenau I guess you and I are similar weights. Or am I missing something?

I'm thinking of buying a lighter bike and I swapped bikes with a guy on a Rieju Ranger for a few miles. massively lighter and more nimble, but the suspension was horribly hard, with the back kicking up without much provocation. It was great fun, but getting back on my bike was like a Cadillac in comparison.

That looks lovely and yeah, you appear to be right back into off roading :) so I guess that makes a lot of sense. The 701 is too big/powerful as a 'go to' off road bike (for me anyway). Supermoto your 701 and get a 350 something or other ;)

Andres

Aw that's great :) Maybe I need to persevere a bit more with mine :thumb2 I did like the damper though, not just on fast open stuff but even slower it just kept the bike tracking straight when little hits would be deflecting the bars all the time......a lot of money though.

Steering dampers do seem very popular on 701s, particularly for our US friends. Possibly because they have more open and fast terrain? Can't say I've noticed a need. they are very pricey, and I don't appear to be going fast enough to need one.

I say the spring rate is correct on mine.......I set the sag with no issues so assume it is :nenau I guess you and I are similar weights. Or am I missing something?

I'm somewhat more "well nourished" than you, who, I might add are 15% carbon fibre :D

That looks lovely and yeah, you appear to be right back into off roading :) so I guess that makes a lot of sense. The 701 is too big/powerful as a 'go to' off road bike (for me anyway). Supermoto your 701 and get a 350 something or other ;)

Andres

The problem I have is that in my head I think the 701 is too heavy for what I do, and It'd be easier on a lighter bike. Fact is, I don't have much trouble with the 701 on the trails. It goes where I want without much trouble, but probably little finesse. I don't get too knackered riding it generally. In fact I felt remarkably OK after the last couple of days riding. I got off the borrowed Rieju, and though it was fun, I preferred my 701. As long as I keep the throttle open a bit and don't interfere with it too much, it just ploughs through or over most things.
It is a bit of a bugger to pick up sometimes, especially if it falls downhill. A couple of falls in an afternoon can really tire me. Not to tempt fate, I hope, but I don't actually fall off it that much.

The sensible thing to do would be to trade it for an 350ECE/FE350, but I want to keep it, which is dumb because I wouldn't really get enough use out of two dirt bikes :rolleyes:

But then...Why not? Maybe you can't have too many bikes :p

Sorry.....but FUCK that bloke was boring :eek: (and had nothing to say of any consequence).

Steering dampers do seem very popular on 701s, particularly for our US friends. Possibly because they have more open and fast terrain? Can't say I've noticed a need. they are very pricey, and I don't appear to be going fast enough to need one.

I've never noticed a 'need' either but I was quite taken aback by how it changed the whole ride of the bike (in a good way); planted yet still light and flickable (at any speed) if that makes sense?

I'm somewhat more "well nourished" than you, who, I might add are 15% carbon fibre :D

Good point :D

The problem I have is that in my head I think the 701 is too heavy for what I do, and It'd be easier on a lighter bike. Fact is, I don't have much trouble with the 701 on the trails. It goes where I want without much trouble, but probably little finesse. I don't get too knackered riding it generally. In fact I felt remarkably OK after the last couple of days riding. I got off the borrowed Rieju, and though it was fun, I preferred my 701. As long as I keep the throttle open a bit and don't interfere with it too much, it just ploughs through or over most things.
It is a bit of a bugger to pick up sometimes, especially if it falls downhill. A couple of falls in an afternoon can really tire me. Not to tempt fate, I hope, but I don't actually fall off it that much.

The sensible thing to do would be to trade it for an 350ECE/FE350, but I want to keep it, which is dumb because I wouldn't really get enough use out of two dirt bikes :rolleyes:

But then...Why not? Maybe you can't have too many bikes :p

HA! Our riding style sounds very similar ie keep the throttle open and plough through stuff :D

For me I'll keep just the 701, it makes sure that with my ability (lack of) I just keep to easy stuff. It was the harder, more technical stuff that I started getting into (peer pressure) that ultimately made me sell my dirt bikes as I just wasn't enjoying myself anymore........so far I'm just having so much fun on the 701 on easier stuff :)

Owen Snell has a nice little Husky for sale on here for not much money.......maybe worth it to you :nenau

Andres

I haven't seen the Husky for sale, but I'll check it out.

Thought the Aussie bloke's list of mods was quite interesting, but maybe quite similar to what I, and thousands of others have done.

Got a couple of days riding the 701 in North Wales next week :cool:

There seems to be a recall now for the infamous, slave cylinder failure. Is it worth doing or just go for an Oberon/Rekluse, and not worry about it happening again?

Back
Top Bottom