New tft screen

You can’t beat having built in satnav. As on a Goldwing

In your opinion! Most phones have faster processors and better GPS chips than a dedicated satnav. If it is built in on a Goldwing then its hardware will be out of date when the bike is 3 years old. Who would want a Goldwing anyway?

In your opinion! Most phones have faster processors and better GPS chips than a dedicated satnav. If it is built in on a Goldwing then its hardware will be out of date when the bike is 3 years old. Who would want a Goldwing anyway?

Someone who has had enough of BMW’s shoddy quality and fancied a change. Exactly how fast does a processor need to be for a satnav ? You obviously don’t try different bikes much do you

Someone who has had enough of BMW’s shoddy quality and fancied a change. Exactly how fast does a processor need to be for a satnav ? You obviously don’t try different bikes much do you

Ouch, struck a nerve :) Did you see the threads about the paint peeling off the new Goldwing cylinder heads. So not much difference in paint quality :)

Ouch, struck a nerve :) Did you see the threads about the paint peeling off the new Goldwing cylinder heads. So not much difference in paint quality :)

Yes I saw it but I think Apex was just unlucky. I had 5 BMW’s in 9 years and each one was poorer quality than the previous one. It culminated with a 3 month old 1250 GS breaking down in Austria and the recovery/back up was appalling. So I thought I would try something else.
The shame is that I loved the GS but lost faith in the brand.

Only here can a thread about TFT screens turn into a bun fight about the quality of cylinder head paint!

Only here can a thread about TFT screens turn into a bun fight about the quality of cylinder head paint!

I did try, (and failed), to steer it brexit ways earlier, but I should have know cylinder head paint was always the way to go for some guaranteed sparks

Yes I saw it but I think Apex was just unlucky. I had 5 BMW’s in 9 years and each one was poorer quality than the previous one. It culminated with a 3 month old 1250 GS breaking down in Austria and the recovery/back up was appalling. So I thought I would try something else.
The shame is that I loved the GS but lost faith in the brand.

I read about your unfortunate saga and I did put a :) in my post, so it was a leg pull not a real dig. I am no fan of BMW quality either and in 50 years have only owned 4 BMWs so wouldn't call myself a fan :)

I read about your unfortunate saga and I did put a :) in my post, so it was a leg pull not a real dig. I am no fan of BMW quality either and in 50 years have only owned 4 BMWs so wouldn't call myself a fan :)

I am a fan of the bikes but I don’t like the quality. As they can sell every one the make why would they improve them :nenau

I am a fan of the bikes but I don’t like the quality. As they can sell every one the make why would they improve them :nenau

And you make that comment because you own a Honda? I have owned many crap Hondas in my time.

Thanks. I didn't realise phones had GPS working from satellites - I thought they just computed your position based on relative position to mobile phone masts! I thought that was the fundamental difference between Sat Nav units and mobile phones.

I’m still not convinced by this. If phones have genuine satellite GPS, how can they work tucked away in a cubby hole in the bike’s fairing? Don’t set nav units rely on ‘line of sight’ with a few satellites?

From a techy website: “The GPS on an iPhone is an assisted GPS system; it uses other reference sources in addition to the signal generated by the Global Positioning System satellites to pinpoint the exact location of the device. The more signal sources the iPhone can access for this purpose, the more accurate it becomes.“

Even without a data source, a phone can still be used to navigate. Sibling as the maps are downloaded onto the device that is. My phone works inside the centre armrest of my car with Apple CarPlay and Google maps, so it does work. Back the days of the early GPS systems they absolutely had to have a clear view of the sky - not so these days. I’ve used GPS under thick jungle tree canopy and it works fine. GPS does struggle in town with high density, high rise buildings though, but that’s any GPS.

iphone gps is pretty accurate. I assume it’s the same as fitted to iPads that have SIM cards and gps (the wifi-only ones don’t have gps) and I tracked our progress from Brighton to Cherbourg on the iPad. It matched the boat GPS closely. I understand they also triangulate using wifi, as turning Wi-fi off gets a nav warning. That probably helps in towns, but not so much in the middle of the English channel.

Back
Top Bottom