Category N.... or not.... it all depends.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
A friend of mine is considering part exchanging his motorbike. The exchanging dealership ran the expected HPI check and reported back.... “Your bike was declared a category N write off”. Which it obviously wasn’t. How does my chum know? Well, owning the bike from new helps and never having made a claim, nor being insured by the company the claims company says it was insured with, all helps.

After some digging around, it seems that a claims company wrote the bike off in December 2018, after which it was sold at auction. All this recorded on the Motor Insurers’ database.

The mystery continues.....

Fat fingers would be my guess.

Do you need the VIN to declare a vehicle as a cat N, or just the number plate ?

RBW.

I am guessing fat fingers, too.

Though it might suggest that there is a bike out there, with maybe a similar number plate, which the owner (if there is one) is unaware that it’s a category N bike.

A friend of mine is considering part exchanging his motorbike. The exchanging dealership ran the expected HPI check and reported back.... “Your bike was declared a category N write off”. Which it obviously wasn’t. How does my chum know? Well, owning the bike from new helps and never having made a claim, nor being insured by the company the claims company says it was insured with, all helps.

After some digging around, it seems that a claims company wrote the bike off in December 2018, after which it was sold at auction. All this recorded on the Motor Insurers’ database.

The mystery continues.....

It is declared on the V5C document, if he has owned it from new when was that ..... could be a dealer owned bike written off before he bought it but in any case if it is genuinely on the MID then it will be on the V5C

It is declared on the V5C document, if he has owned it from new when was that ..... could be a dealer owned bike written off before he bought it but in any case if it is genuinely on the MID then it will be on the V5C

He bought it new, prior to December 2018, with zero miles on the clock.

Naturally enough, my friend’s V5 shows him as the only owner from first registration.

Clearly there is just a clerical mix-up, or some sort of very strange scam. I suspect the former. It does though mean that my friend can’t part exchange his bike, until it is resolved and the HPI record cleared. The dealership has agreed to reserve the bike he wants to exchange for, which is decent of them. Likewise, they have agreed to still buy his bike off him, once it is sorted out. The annoying things is that it now falls on my friend to jump through hoops, proving his innocence as it were. I of course will be fully supportive, sucking my teeth, shaking my head and saying, “It looks bad, mate”.

Might be worth checking the VIN number matches the V5, it wouldn’t be the first vehicle sold with the wrong plates on it...

I had a similar (ish) issue when i bought a new honda a few years ago, the dealer asked me to pop in as they couldn’t register it in my name and didn’t want to discuss the reasons why over the phone. Anyways, when i got there i was told that I was dead and a vehicle cannot be registered to a person who is deceased.

A very very long conversation with the DVLA ensued where I eventually convinced them that I must be alive because I had renewed my HGV since I had passed away and doctors don't usually sign off dead people as fit to drive....

He bought it new, prior to December 2018, with zero miles on the clock.

Naturally enough, my friend’s V5 shows him as the only owner from first registration.

Clearly there is just a clerical mix-up, or some sort of very strange scam. I suspect the former. It does though mean that my friend can’t part exchange his bike, until it is resolved and the HPI record cleared. The dealership has agreed to reserve the bike he wants to exchange for, which is decent of them. Likewise, they have agreed to still buy his bike off him, once it is sorted out. The annoying things is that it now falls on my friend to jump through hoops, proving his innocence as it were. I of course will be fully supportive, sucking my teeth, shaking my head and saying, “It looks bad, mate”.

It’s all the fault of robbing bastard insurance companies, they’ve scammed your mate without him even knowing, paid off another bod with your mates wonga, I expect the broker was in on the scam. Tell your mate have a brew while it’s sorted..

Might be worth checking the VIN number matches the V5, it wouldn’t be the first vehicle sold with the wrong plates on it...

I had a similar (ish) issue when i bought a new honda a few years ago, the dealer asked me to pop in as they couldn’t register it in my name and didn’t want to discuss the reasons why over the phone. Anyways, when i got there i was told that I was dead and a vehicle cannot be registered to a person who is deceased.

A very very long conversation with the DVLA ensued where I eventually convinced them that I must be alive because I had renewed my HGV since I had passed away and doctors don't usually sign off dead people as fit to drive....

My paternal grandfather had the same (ish) problem in the mid-1950’s, his wife (born in the late 1890’s) needed her first passport, for which she needed a birth certificate. My grandfather, a very polite, very smart, correctly dressed and very funny man, went along to Somerset House in London, to order one.

Arriving at Somerset House, he gave the fellow at the desk his wife’s name and date of birth, the fellow from Somerset House then went off time find her records. He returned about 10 minutes later, very apologetic, saying: “I’m sorry, sir, I am afraid your wife is dead”. Without missing a beat, my grandfather said, “Well, that’s very strange, as she was there at breakfast this morning”.

It transpired that my grandmother had a sister, who died at birth. My grandmother was then born within nine months of her sister’s death. Her parents reversed the two children’s names, which was not uncommon at the time. On top of this, my grandmother was always known by her middle name, ie her dead sister’s first name. My grandfather, nor my grandmother, knew anything about the dead sister until the passport application was made. The fellow in Somerset House had turned up the wrong sister, not noticing that the names were reversed.

It’s all the fault of robbing bastard insurance companies, they’ve scammed your mate without him even knowing, paid off another bod with your mates wonga, I expect the broker was in on the scam. Tell your mate have a brew while it’s sorted..

You are well right, mate. To compound the issue, the claims company is owned by the insurance broker. It stinks, my mate says. That’s not my mate with the problem, it’s another mate, mate. That tells you everything.

You are well right, mate. To compound the issue, the claims company is owned by the insurance broker. It stinks, my mate says. That’s not my mate with the problem, it’s another mate, mate. That tells you everything.

My mates mate dads mate had a similar thing happen to him...well i think it was something like your mates problem as insurance and write off's were mentioned.

I got sold a SH bike from a dealer,

Vin & reg plate had reversed numbers.

Luckily the twat that stole it went past a federation starship at warp factor 2,

Said number plate came back as a massey ferguson tractor from devon.

So the chase was on.

Tax disc was correct, number plate not lol

Insurance company paid out no problems .. before the days of any excuse to wriggle ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom