R80G/S protection...

I don’t think motoworks do the large sump guard anymore but BMW Bayer does under the GS rather than g/s section.

Finally found it, looks the part to have. However, having experienced the delays with european shipping recently, I'm really not looking forward to a 3 week wait for one while it sits in someone's warehouse.
Are there no options in the UK ?

As per the advice on here I will be fitting Barkbusters to my G/S.

I have the larger BMW sump guard as well and will be fitting Magura tapered handlebars.

As per the advice on here I will be fitting Barkbusters to my G/S.

I have the larger BMW sump guard as well and will be fitting Magura tapered handlebars.

I know you're probably on it Ian, but just check the new handle bars have the same rise as the originals, else you're going to need bar risers on your bar risers. :thumb2

Finally found it, looks the part to have. However, having experienced the delays with european shipping recently, I'm really not looking forward to a 3 week wait for one while it sits in someone's warehouse.
Are there no options in the UK ?

If it is under £135 in value then it should sale through as VAT is charged at the European end rather than discounted...stopped at customs assessed and then added...which is expensive and a complete faff.

If it is under £135 in value then it should sale through as VAT is charged at the European end rather than discounted...stopped at customs assessed and then added...which is expensive and a complete faff.

Er... theoretically very simple, yes, but they've not all got their heads in gear, and these days everybody seems to be too happy to delay things for the smallest reason.

I took all the bits I wanted to keep nice off my bike and replaced them with cheap second hand bits, it a lot cheaper than buying new bits to wreck...ian

I carry wire grill and epoxy to repair the rocker covers but as yet not used.

Carry cotton wool to mix with the epoxy resin... it can be moulded to any shape.

I once repaired the hole in my rocker cover with araldite and cotton wool after sliding off in the canyon du verdon in 1988. The repair lasted until 2001. :D

So I've gone and bought a lovely super-clean machine and I now need to know the best things to protect it with when I go and get it dirty.
I'm talking crash bars and bash plates of course, not what type of wax polish.
I wont be getting it upside down like my 1250, but it will get taken along quite a few local green roads, eg west from claerwen, wbin, the begwns and other safe roads like that.
Please point me at the right crash bars and bash plate to fit, and advise anything else that I might be able to do to prevent stupid breakages. (I will be fitting cheap chinese swivel mirrors for example)

Would you show me a couple of those lanes please? I am struggling to find out where to start any of the ones you are allowed on. I have only been trying to find out for 30 odd years! Don't mention the TRf..... please!

Would you show me a couple of those lanes please? I am struggling to find out where to start any of the ones you are allowed on. I have only been trying to find out for 30 odd years! Don't mention the TRf..... please!

Er well, apart from the fact that you're over 100 miles from me and in England ;) , I'm always happy to ride.
Here in Mid/South Wales there is a very active trail riding community, with meets arranged via facebook groups, and there probably is near you too. The TRF is at the heart of promoting safe legal riding off-tarmac, so they _are_ the best people to ride with if you want to stay legal.
Most non-trf groups ride where they like rather than staying legal, and I simply dont do any non-trf-type rides.
As far as starting out on green lanes is concerned, you _do_ need someone to ride with who knows the lane you're on, as a very great many can turn a corner and become very technical - rocky, muddy, steep, rutty and even all of that together.
We arrange rides around here targeted at beginners and other rides for big-bikes, so all are catered for.

I shall be out scraping some more rust off with my Beta Alp 200 next week, and then I'll be planning some more organised rides for when groups are allowed again in Wales after 26th April.

Er well, apart from the fact that you're over 100 miles from me and in England ;) , I'm always happy to ride.
Here in Mid/South Wales there is a very active trail riding community, with meets arranged via facebook groups, and there probably is near you too. The TRF is at the heart of promoting safe legal riding off-tarmac, so they _are_ the best people to ride with if you want to stay legal.
Most non-trf groups ride where they like rather than staying legal, and I simply dont do any non-trf-type rides.
As far as starting out on green lanes is concerned, you _do_ need someone to ride with who knows the lane you're on, as a very great many can turn a corner and become very technical - rocky, muddy, steep, rutty and even all of that together.
We arrange rides around here targeted at beginners and other rides for big-bikes, so all are catered for.

I shall be out scraping some more rust off with my Beta Alp 200 next week, and then I'll be planning some more organised rides for when groups are allowed again in Wales after 26th April.

Thank you.
I went to our local TRF group with a view to joining... got told I was not suitable to be a member, I had the wrong kind of bike (they all rode Enduro bikes) and wouldn't be able to keep up with them - which meant they ride like lunatics and pi55 everyone else off who happen to be out in the Peaks. I tried another group of the TRF and got much the same reception... so I went to their stand at the NEC and was suggested I join the Somerset group! I gave up after that - our family farm in the Peak District, but I still don't know anywhere around the farms I would be happy going - some tracks are actually farm drives. Perhaps I am just too polite, I would hesitate going up a farm drive unless I was calling on them.

It was the fact you said you would take your 80 on some of the less demanding routes that caught my eye.

Thank you.
I went to our local TRF group with a view to joining... got told I was not suitable to be a member, I had the wrong kind of bike (they all rode Enduro bikes) and wouldn't be able to keep up with them - which meant they ride like lunatics and pi55 everyone else off who happen to be out in the Peaks. I tried another group of the TRF and got much the same reception... so I went to their stand at the NEC and was suggested I join the Somerset group! I gave up after that - our family farm in the Peak District, but I still don't know anywhere around the farms I would be happy going - some tracks are actually farm drives. Perhaps I am just too polite, I would hesitate going up a farm drive unless I was calling on them.

It was the fact you said you would take your 80 on some of the less demanding routes that caught my eye.

Cool. Most of the TRF people I ride with would spit on the people you describe. I shall mention this 'in dispatches' to see if there is other negative feedback about groups around the peaks. I have the trf ceo's phone number and he's a very nice chap.
I'll pm my email address.

That bike will wup a 1250 offroad....enjoy :beerjug:

Well... in some places maybe, like when a 1250 has to be lifted round to ahem 'recover the situation' ;)
But when the going gets tough and slippy-gnarly downhill, the abs on the 1250 is dreamy-creamy - I've gone down super-steep rocky stuff feeling the abs pulsing madly. Wouldnt want to take anything but a trials bike down some of it... or maybe my 701 with abs :D

Thank you.
I went to our local TRF group with a view to joining... got told I was not suitable to be a member, I had the wrong kind of bike (they all rode Enduro bikes) and wouldn't be able to keep up with them - which meant they ride like lunatics and pi55 everyone else off who happen to be out in the Peaks. I tried another group of the TRF and got much the same reception... so I went to their stand at the NEC and was suggested I join the Somerset group! I gave up after that - our family farm in the Peak District, but I still don't know anywhere around the farms I would be happy going - some tracks are actually farm drives. Perhaps I am just too polite, I would hesitate going up a farm drive unless I was calling on them

I did a few trails a decade or two ago but nothing much since. I do recall that I enjoyed myself so perhaps I ought to have another bash at it before I get too old and creaky. Probably need something more suitable - and much less lardy - than my r100gs PD... In the meantime I've found a FB group that is much less about lunacy and much more about legal trail riding, useful info. and contacts. Worth a look
https://www.facebook.com/groups/peaktrailrider

Back
Top Bottom