Yes another noise question.

Yeah that looks really wrong, on mine that metal tip is tight against the aluminium shaft, and the loose one moved a tiny amount. They must have been rattling around in there like nobody's business.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Well it's one less clacking noise.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

You’ve cracked that, the bike sounds sweet now, great job
Thanks, I'll admit to being a bit nervous starting it up again in case I'd made a mistake somewhere and the engine ate itself.
As it is I'm happy there is now one less thing I need to pay to get done in future.

There is still a ticking noise coming from somewhere but I'll live with that.

If you listen closely at the end of the video, there is a humming noise.... Fuel pump, every now and then it Squeals really loud when I'm riding, usually if I'm riding motorway speeds or higher rev riding. Job for another day.

Will take for a spin later to see if the clack noise is gone when riding. That was the initial problem, I originally thought the Idle was smooth.

Thanks, I'll admit to being a bit nervous starting it up again in case I'd made a mistake somewhere and the engine ate itself.
As it is I'm happy there is now one less thing I need to pay to get done in future.

There is still a ticking noise coming from somewhere but I'll live with that.

If you listen closely at the end of the video, there is a humming noise.... Fuel pump, every now and then it Squeals really loud when I'm riding, usually if I'm riding motorway speeds or higher rev riding. Job for another day.

Will take for a spin later to see if the clack noise is gone when riding. That was the initial problem, I originally thought the Idle was smooth.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EQ6QRF6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_F3Y4CW91G90481KGAEMP

Fuel pumps are cheap...

That's sounds like the injectors clicking

Ah OK, is that normal? Sorry for so many questions, but I don't have another GS to compare against and my mechanic told me the bike sounded normal from the beginning.

Ah OK, is that normal? Sorry for so many questions, but I don't have another GS to compare against and my mechanic told me the bike sounded normal from the beginning.

Having just listened with earphones it sounds like mine does. The injectors click and they're brand new on mine as I upgraded to the 1200 ones. You can check that the pulley on the right side throttle body has no play in it as this wears sometimes and clicks. You can check it by putting pressure on it with your finger with the engine running and see if the clicking stops.

As for the fuel pump it seems an easy job, the advice I've got is you may as well renew everything in there, fuel filter, pipes, clean the fuel gauge resistor track and replace the gasket etc while it's open. Be very careful not to snap the studs when opening as they are welded to the tank. 1 seems to be alright but any more than that and you have an expensive problem potentially unless you're handy with metalwork.

Having just listened with earphones it sounds like mine does. The injectors click and they're brand new on mine as I upgraded to the 1200 ones. You can check that the pulley on the right side throttle body has no play in it as this wears sometimes and clicks. You can check it by putting pressure on it with your finger with the engine running and see if the clicking stops.

As for the fuel pump it seems an easy job, the advice I've got is you may as well renew everything in there, fuel filter, pipes, clean the fuel gauge resistor track and replace the gasket etc while it's open. Be very careful not to snap the studs when opening as they are welded to the tank. 1 seems to be alright but any more than that and you have an expensive problem potentially unless you're handy with metalwork.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for all your help.

No worries, I've been given all this information from this great forum so happy to help where I can. I've only had my GS since Jan too haha

Where can you get the newer style pushrods as I can only find the older multi-compound style ones?

And what is the cost?

They sell em in motorworks. I think it was 115 for the set of four, don't quote me on that though....

Great thanks for the information, were they new or second hand?
I ordered mine through the local bmw dealership parts department. 130euro for the 4 including tax. They are the same as the r1200gs pushrods. To the best of my knowledge they are the only ones available now. I just ordered 4 pushrods and the new ones arrived.

Back
Top Bottom