Ideal Tent For An Iceland Trip

I have a Vaude Mk2

Looks like it may be a good tent (2 porches), however I have never used it

Other people rate them

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/vaude/mark-ii/

a5146ec9599297dcd1ba120a54ed6256.jpg

Hilliberg Nallo 2 ,,, works for me :thumb2
Pitches all in one ( including the footprint ) , not had it in Iceland ,, but as well as the usual British wanders ,, it has been 4 trips North of the Arctic Circle , and had all kinds of weather .
I suppose each to their own , but if you are in places where you really need it to work , it’s tooooooo late if you have inferior kit that fails .

I have 4 Hilleberg tents, and believe the Nammatj 3 is the best all season tent that money can buy!
The Nammatj 3 GT is better still, but the pack size and real estate required to pitch is significantly greater.
The Nammatj 2 GT may be a better compromise, but bear in mind it is 4 inches lower than the 3.

I went away with a friend of mine for a month camping in France, he with the Nammatj 3 GT, me with the Nammatj 2GT. I was surprised how much bulkier the three was, over the two. His three did though have quite a trick extra opening on the porch. My two is now quite old, so it may well be available on the two now, too.

It’ll cope with Iceland, for sure....

b3c99f8fb00f42db2e82aa388fa047a1.png

Hilliberg Nallo 2 ,,, works for me :thumb2
Pitches all in one ( including the footprint ) , not had it in Iceland ,, but as well as the usual British wanders ,, it has been 4 trips North of the Arctic Circle , and had all kinds of weather .
I suppose each to their own , but if you are in places where you really need it to work , it’s tooooooo late if you have inferior kit that fails .

Spot on there. That’s why I’m not going to trust the tents I currently have. Apart from the new Kyham Biker + but too big and heavy for this trip.

I went away with a friend of mine for a month camping in France, he with the Nammatj 3 GT, me with the Nammatj 2GT. I was surprised how much bulkier the three was, over the two. His three did though have quite a trick extra opening on the porch. My two is now quite old, so it may well be available on the two now, too.

Yes, my Nammatj 3 GT has the igloo type door, and is in the very dark green colour.

I just think the standard 3 is the best allrounder. What you lack in porch over the 2GT, you get back in height and width (proper 3 man width), and pack size I imagine less as only 2 poles.

I think any Nallo or Nammatj would be ideal, but the Nammatj has more strength and better ventilation.

I had a Vaude Mk2 for many years and used it a fair bit in some atrocious weather during some 'wilderness' MTB events. (Polaris Events if anyone ever did them?) It never let me down. (Ex wife took it as part of 'settlement' just to f@@@ me off) I now have a Marmot Limelight3, equally as good so far.

+1 for the Vaude they are great tents, I personaly hate tents where poles have to be threaded through a pocket so the Vaude with the external frame and self supporting are fantastic, I think this one is top notch but a bit ott for a short trip away https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Activit...erio-3-Persons-Mountain-tent?number=122962270

However the cheaper ones are every bit as good as Hilleberg, however the Vango Assynt 200 is also a lightweight tent and pretty damn good as well also a lot cheaper

I think this one is top notch but a bit ott for a short trip away

Made by Jasper Outdoor Products in Zhongshan, China!

Makes me wonder just how much of that 1500 quid goes straight in the back pocket of Vaude?

I would imagine Jasper knock out a near identical alternative for less than half of that.

Made by Jasper Outdoor Products in Zhongshan, China!

Makes me wonder just how much of that 1500 quid goes straight in the back pocket of Vaude?

I would imagine Jasper knock out a near identical alternative for less than half of that.

Isn't that what the vast majority of stuff is like ?

Buy a telly for £500 from the local Euronics shop, they paid £350 wholesale for it, wholesaler paid £250 shipped, made for £150...everyone takes a cut.

Have a look at the Vango Meteor pro 300. Small pack size, but plenty of room. It goes up as one, so no wet inner if it is raining and can be pitched in around 5 min. Never had an issue with mine in three 2 week long aps trips and a week in Scotland.

I used a Vango Helium F10, two man tent, with a tarp. Very light, easy to erect and repack. Only drawback was that you could only just sit up inside.
Mark

I use an MSR Elixir 1 .. very small and tidy. An excellent bit of kit though. Light and easy to pack into those panniers. :)
+1 for the Elixir - used it for 3 Icelandic trips and still like new! - (Picture courtesy of Timolga)

Attachments

• iceland 2.jpg
    iceland 2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 224
Isn't that what the vast majority of stuff is like ?

Buy a telly for £500 from the local Euronics shop, they paid £350 wholesale for it, wholesaler paid £250 shipped, made for £150...everyone takes a cut.

Just one of my big hates in life!

I have no issues with Chinese brands (I'm on a Lenovo right now), and I have no problem with cheap Chinky garage forecourt shite.
Neither do I mind a company manufacturing in China at their own factory.

But what I do resent is swanky brands charging like a wounded Rhino for products sub contracted to the cheapest bidder.

Brands like Arcteryx and Harkila proudly boasting their Canadian/Danish heritage and design are now no more than office blocks full of admin.

Don't even start me on apple with their 1000% mark up on everything.

It's all smoke & mirrors with a whiff of bullshit nowadays, and the consumer is being conned and shafted.

Last I heard, even Terra Nova still made their better gear in Derbyshire.

with questions about what tent? etc, maybe it is time for the well travelled Iceland experts to produce a sticky FAQ for Iceland.

As is normally the case I’ll recommend a tent I personally own and that’s a Terra Nova Quasar.

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/all-tents/2-man-tents/quasar-tent/

I’ve used mine at high altitude where the winds were strong enough to blow me over when a strong gust came around a corner and they’ve been used on expeditions to most of the bigger mountains so you should be ok. If you buy the version with the extended porch you can store bike kit in the back porch and still have plenty of room to cook in the bigger front one.

No, you can’t stand up in it or even sit on a camping stool but tents you can stand up in and tents that will stand crap weather are so far apart that even Jodrell Bank struggle to get them both in the same image.

Another suggestion would be a Vango Force 10 Mk4 which is a bit taller (yes, you can use a chair in one) and massively quieter in high winds because they’re cotton so don’t rattle in the wind as nylon does but the downside is that they’re heavier and bulkier than a Quasar.

https://www.blacksofgreenock.co.uk/tents/81-classic-std-mk4-tent-5023518110127.html#.YGi-sS14Xxw

If my wife and I are away on bikes and camping we use the Force 10 but split it between both bikes.

You wonder why sometimes people post they want a lightweight single bike carry tent, and not interested in a tunnel as they have two already!!!! then get recommended the heaviest cotton tent in Christendom and a tunnel!!!!!

As is normally the case I’ll recommend a tent I personally own and that’s a Terra Nova Quasar.

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/all-tents/2-man-tents/quasar-tent/

I’ve used mine at high altitude where the winds were strong enough to blow me over when a strong gust came around a corner and they’ve been used on expeditions to most of the bigger mountains so you should be ok. If you buy the version with the extended porch you can store bike kit in the back porch and still have plenty of room to cook in the bigger front one.

No, you can’t stand up in it or even sit on a camping stool but tents you can stand up in and tents that will stand crap weather are so far apart that even Jodrell Bank struggle to get them both in the same image.

Another suggestion would be a Vango Force 10 Mk4 which is a bit taller (yes, you can use a chair in one) and massively quieter in high winds because they’re cotton so don’t rattle in the wind as nylon does but the downside is that they’re heavier and bulkier than a Quasar.

https://www.blacksofgreenock.co.uk/tents/81-classic-std-mk4-tent-5023518110127.html#.YGi-sS14Xxw

If my wife and I are away on bikes and camping we use the Force 10 but split it between both bikes.

You wonder why sometimes people post they want a lightweight single bike carry tent, and not interested in a tunnel as they have two already!!!! then get recommended the heaviest cotton tent in Christendom and a tunnel!!!!!

Since when was a Quasar a tunnel tent or do you not know the difference between a geodesic tent and a tunnel tent :nenau

I did say that a Force 10 was heavy but he wants something to stand up to potentially shit weather and to be able to sit in a chair. Sitting in a chair while your lightweight tent disintegrates around you isn’t a good way to spend a holiday.

You can see in this picture, that every man and his dog has their favourite.

20180721_171847-01-X2.jpg

It was clipped from the thread you participated in.

See the nice red one in the middle - that’s mine that is ;)

Hilleberg Staika - my favourite tent for solo motorcycle adventures :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom