Ideal Tent For An Iceland Trip

with questions about what tent? etc, maybe it is time for the well travelled Iceland experts to produce a sticky FAQ for Iceland.

Because travelling during summer in Iceland is not so different from other places, you just need to be prepared for a variety of weather.
I spend at lot of time each year answering specific questions for those going on trips.
Imo posting a sticky won't answer every ones question a) Because it may not get Read! And b) the best advise for anything comes through discussion of specific and individual requirements.

I do take your point but the thread title is perhaps misleading people into they need an Iceland specific tent, which is not the case.....nor is it for any other gear.

War and Peace has been written on this forum alone about tents, stoves, chairs, bed's and kitchen sinks. The information is out there. :)

+1 for Hilleberg and tarp combo

PjJJZnS

The small tent with footprint, tarp, sleeping bag and mat all fit easy on the back for off road riding.

a>

At the end of the day...literally.
If it doesn't leak, blow away or weigh a ton who gives a stuff whether it's 'the best.

Attachments

• 20190712_000406-01.jpg
    20190712_000406-01.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 250

Attachments

• 20190710_023900-01.jpg
    20190710_023900-01.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 250
See the nice red one in the middle - that’s mine that is ;)

Hilleberg Staika - my favourite tent for solo motorcycle adventures :thumb2
Never mind a pic of your tent - show us the sex toy you produced at that camp , suggesting it was some form of water purifier!

Never mind a pic of your tent - show us the sex toy you produced at that camp , suggesting it was some form of water purifier!

I did ask to borrow it for a night but
Toddy was strangely possessive :D

Attachments

• 20180721_175821-01.jpg
    20180721_175821-01.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 298
I did ask to borrow it for a night but
Toddy was strangely possessive :D

There is an old Icelandic saying, which when translated goes something like:

“Man who drinks un-purified water from stream, will become vomiting volcano in posh restaurant a few days later! ;) :D

As expected, there is no single perfect tent for Iceland or indeed anywhere else outside of the North Pole or the heights of the Himalayas. Even then, there might be several choices.

Everything depends on personal taste, the compromises one is prepared to make, the likely usage and, not least, the money someone is prepared to spend. The latter is most certainly true of tents in the Hilleberg price range. Whether it is worth spending close to or over £1000 on a tent that might be used once but keeps you dry and warm - on one day - when a gale and driving rain batters the fly sheet or whether a tent at say £200 would have done just as well are debatable points. Of course a gale and driving rain in Iceland in summer, is not much different to a gale or driving rain in Italy, France, Germany or even the UK, so there is little point in making it geography specific, unless you intend to conquer K2 next time out.

I don’t buy into the, “It’s made in China, therefore it must be shite and the price must be reflected in it accordingly” mantra. It all depends on the quality control and the design of the product in the first place. Does a Hilleberg warrant its price tag if it is stitched together in a Nordic country but using components that come entirely from China, Vietnam, the Philippines or Mexico? What happens if the entire tent is conceived and designed entirely in Sweden but everything stitched and bundled in say, Bangladesh or Romania, but with decent quality control? Does the price stay the same, halve or quarter? Or is the entire idea of buying the tent at all, rejected out of hand, as it MUST be a rip-off and HAS to be shite? If Hilleberg (or any other manufacturer) gets a justifiable reputation for overpriced, poor quality control, then the company will fail, irrespective of where the product comes from; it’s as simple as that.

PS Not unexpectedly, there are YouTube videos where bods slate Hilleberg. Who knows, they may be right..... or they might be wrong..... or they maybe just didn’t look after the tent in the first place..... or maybe they were just unlucky..... or maybe Hilleberg didn’t send them a free one? One thing is certain, there are more happy Hilleberg owners than there are unhappy ones. That will last for only as long as the product is of reliably good quality, backed by a good after-sale service and priced at a figure that people are prepared to pay.

As expected, there is no single perfect tent for Iceland or indeed anywhere else outside of the North Pole or the heights of the Himalayas. Even then, there might be several choices.

Everything depends on personal taste, the compromises one is prepared to make, the likely usage and, not least, the money someone is prepared to spend. The latter is most certainly true of tents in the Hilleberg price range. Whether it is worth spending close to or over £1000 on a tent that might be used once but keeps you dry and warm - on one day - when a gale and driving rain batters the fly sheet or whether a tent at say £200 would have done just as well are debatable points. Of course a gale and driving rain in Iceland in summer, is not much different to a gale or driving rain in Italy, France, Germany or even the UK, so there is little point in making it geography specific, unless you intend to conquer K2 next time out.

I don’t buy into the, “It’s made in China, therefore it must be shite and the price must be reflected in it accordingly” mantra. It all depends on the quality control and the design of the product in the first place. Does a Hilleberg warrant its price tag if it is stitched together in a Nordic country but using components that come entirely from China, Vietnam, the Philippines or Mexico? What happens if the entire tent is conceived and designed entirely in Sweden but everything stitched and bundled in say, Bangladesh or Romania, but with decent quality control? Does the price stay the same, halve or quarter? Or is the entire idea of buying the tent at all, rejected out of hand, as it MUST be a rip-off and HAS to be shite? If Hilleberg (or any other manufacturer) gets a justifiable reputation for overpriced, poor quality control, then the company will fail, irrespective of where the product comes from; it’s as simple as that.

PS Not unexpectedly, there are YouTube videos where bods slate Hilleberg. Who knows, they may be right..... or they might be wrong..... or they maybe just didn’t look after the tent in the first place..... or maybe they were just unlucky..... or maybe Hilleberg didn’t send them a free one? One thing is certain, there are more happy Hilleberg owners than there are unhappy ones. That will last for only as long as the product is of reliably good quality, backed by a good after-sale service and priced at a figure that people are prepared to pay.
Yep, well said. :thumb
The whole point of starting this thread was primarily to see what people who have actually been there and experienced the conditions recommend. I have no idea if a storm in Iceland is any worse than anywhere else. I was expecting it to be due to its location and google doesn’t tell you that. Most of the wild campsites used seem to be right on the coast where the winds would be at their greatest. I now see that my 9.1kg Kyham Biker + is way too heavy for off-roading with and the two cheaper tunnel tents I have probably wouldn’t stand up to a really good battering. Hilleberg do seem to be one of the best / strongest tents out there and are well recommend on here. Not the cheapest option but I don’t want a “cheap” tent pole snapping on me on the first day and ruining the holiday. Chances are it wouldn’t happen but I’m not willing to take that chance. If I love Iceland ( as many do from here ) then whatever tent make I get would certainly get used again. Thanks to all for the various options and keep them coming please. :thumb2
There may be a brand new never out the bag Kyham Biker + and footprint up for sale soon! :blast

“Tim, it’s time for your enema....”

attachment.php

Looks like you've just had your's :)

https://www.tarptent.com/product/scarp-2/

I've got a Scarp 1 which is a very good tent, even better with the optional crossover poles
Scarp 2 gives you a lot of room.
I've also got a Marmot Limelight which I use with the bike in Europe, great for just me and my kit when weight isn't so much of an issue.
And a Hercules AST which is for rather extreme conditions (and might sell since I now have the Scarp)

As I said before my Hilleberg Tarra does seem to have a temperamental zip and it can be a pain when you don't need the hassle of trying to open or close the inner door. When I do get to a professional tent seamstress, I'll get the door altered to the old classic style, one in the middle and two along the bottom. Even with the maintenance they advise one end has been perfectly fine and the other a real pain.

Ok, what is the opinion on Robens tents. :nenau Can anyone who’s had one share their experiences of them? I’ve read through the tent section but not too many mentioned.
I’m thinking more along the lines of strength and build quality. Obviously not as good as Hilleberg ( I do have my eye on one but it’s over £1k :blast. )
Not many stockists round here in Norfolk or I’d go and look at some.
I’m thinking about this one in particular. https://www.robens.de/en-gb/shop/outdoor-tents/voyager-versa-4

You could be the first to review it, based on your own hands-on experience. Think about the prestige it will bring.

Live life, throw caution to the wind.

PS It is only a tent, just how far wrong can it go? Or spend four times as much on a Hilleberg; the choice is as simple as that.

:beerjug:

Ok, what is the opinion on Robens tents. :nenau Can anyone who’s had one share their experiences of them? I’ve read through the tent section but not too many mentioned.
I’m thinking more along the lines of strength and build quality. Obviously not as good as Hilleberg ( I do have my eye on one but it’s over £1k :blast. )
Not many stockists round here in Norfolk or I’d go and look at some.
I’m thinking about this one in particular. https://www.robens.de/en-gb/shop/outdoor-tents/voyager-versa-4

I am pleased with my Green Cone that I use for solo camping. One strong pole that does not intrude on the inner tent, just peg out and insert the pole. I don't even use all the guys in normal use. It's advertised as a 4 man, 3 would be cosy, perfect for 2 and palatial for 1. I carry mine on 450cc bike. I like the way the pole can be lengthened to increase airflow under the outer fly in hot weather. Shortening the pole brings the fly closer to the ground for colder times.

Check out YouTube, plenty of videos there. This one impressed me (searched Robens Wind Test):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4GL2a-OV4

tom

You could be the first to review it, based on your own hands-on experience. Think about the prestige it will bring.

Live life, throw caution to the wind.

PS It is only a tent, just how far wrong can it go? Or spend four times as much on a Hilleberg; the choice is as simple as that.

:beerjug:
I could very well do that but won’t. Reason being is that if they’re crap I’d have wasted my money. Too late by then though isn’t it! :blast Unlike some on here i don’t like wasting my money but will spend on the right product regardless of price. Buy right,buy once. If they’re good then I’ll buy one.

I am pleased with my Green Cone that I use for solo camping. One strong pole that does not intrude on the inner tent, just peg out and insert the pole. I don't even use all the guys in normal use. It's advertised as a 4 man, 3 would be cosy, perfect for 2 and palatial for 1. I carry mine on 450cc bike. I like the way the pole can be lengthened to increase airflow under the outer fly in hot weather. Shortening the pole brings the fly closer to the ground for colder times.

Check out YouTube, plenty of videos there. This one impressed me (searched Robens Wind Test):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT4GL2a-OV4

tom
Ok. Cheers. :thumb2 I’ve watched videos of them putting up Hilleberg tents in the wind but not Robens. Pretty impressive wind test results on those.

Back
Top Bottom