Ideal Tent For An Iceland Trip

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m just doing a little forward planning for a trip next year and already starting to gather bits and pieces. :D
I have a brand new Kyham Biker Plus and additional footprint but I’m thinking it’s a bit big and heavy for a “lightweight” trip. So, can anyone suggest a good lightweight tent big enough for a 6’1” fatfuck. :D. Got to be big enough to at least sit up in ( ideally stand up but doubtful) and get a big comfy air mattress in too. Obviously needs to be very wind and rainproof too. :thumb2
Ta

This would be my recommendation.

1bd7d42bdeb92d024ba446682776ccb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You might want to search for one that’s heatproof ;):p

On a more serious note I bought a Robens Hikers Castle for a 3 month trip in 2004. It’s a 2/3 man dome tent that’s not that big or heavy on the bike. It’s split in half with one half the bedroom and one half thats just a covered area ( no groundsheet in that half which reduces the bulk /weight ). Therefore none of your biking gear needs to be inside your bedroom, although there is room for it.

You can’t stand up in it BUT it’s tall enough that you can sit upright in a full size camping chair. Handy in a wet gale on Skye whilst you sit in your chair eating breakfast, having a cup of tea and a giggle at your mates who are all moaning above the noise of the wind that they are stuck in their sleeping bags because their tents are too small too even get dressed inside.

It’s 17 years old but has at least one , usually two , outings a year and it’s still in one piece, no tears rips or broken poles. Robens are a quality brand.

The tents that always come out top choice (for all sorts of reasons, choices of locations and uses) are those offered by the Hilleberg company.

https://hilleberg.com/eng/

One of the company’s most vocal exponents, is Tim Olgra. He goes to Iceland a lot.

They are not cheap but are excellent. Not least you’d sell it easily here or on eBay, when and if you don’t want to use it anymore.

You’ll also receive all sorts of advice that bods have been using anything from a paper bag to a full on Nomad type, stand up and get your bike in it too, tent. Everyone will have their favourite. Some of the suggestions will come from people who have never been to Iceland nor camped there. I haven’t but were I too, I’d take a Hilleberg, no matter what. Not least, as I already have two of them.

Here’s something else to get you going:

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=ideal+tent+for+an+iceland+trip

Six words. Your opening post had well over 50.

Given the extra scaffolding you’re adding to strengthen your bike and the mods to the gearbox you’re considering to lower the gearing may I suggest a Yurt.

Oh and extra wet wipes so Tim can wipe your arse for you :)

Andres

Given the extra scaffolding you’re adding to strengthen your bike and the mods to the gearbox you’re considering to lower the gearing may I suggest a Yurt.

Oh and extra wet wipes so Tim can wipe your arse for you :)

Andres

Time of the month again? :nenau

Will you use it after Iceland ? Would it ruin your Iceland trip if strong winds destroyed said tent on night 1 or 2? How much can you afford?

You can see in this picture, that every man and his dog has their favourite.

20180721_171847-01-X2.jpg

It was clipped from the thread you participated in.

When I went I had a standard 2/3 person Blacks tunnel tent :nenau

I already have two tunnel tents but want something a bit more robust for the odd storm that’s possible over there.

Attachments

• 40781694-C31D-43DF-8A36-77974ECBD6B1.jpg
    40781694-C31D-43DF-8A36-77974ECBD6B1.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 508
  • 0F6927B4-A48A-4BAD-BB48-963C569E9C66.jpg
    0F6927B4-A48A-4BAD-BB48-963C569E9C66.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 503
You can see in this picture, that every man and his dog has their favourite.

20180721_171847-01-X2.jpg

It was clipped from the thread you participated in.
Yeah, I saw that picture which is why it got me thinking about them. I have 3 other tents already but nothing that I’d think suitable for a trip there. 1 is too big and heavy for off reading with and the other two are cheaper tunnel tents. I wouldn’t want to trust them in a howling gale.

I already have two tunnel tents but want something a bit more robust for the odd storm that’s possible over there.

https://www.mounteverest.net/expguide/campgear.htm

If a man can carry a tent up Everest, you’ll be able to carry one on an awesome steed.

PS Loving the tip not to wear crampons in the tent. I doubt if you’ll need crampons for Iceland in the summer. Though you can never be too careful.

Will you use it after Iceland ? Would it ruin your Iceland trip if strong winds destroyed said tent on night 1 or 2? How much can you afford?

Possibly use it more than once. I may go back. :thumb2. I’d pay whatever for the correct tent. I’m now off to look at Hilleberg tents. :thumb2

A quick pm to Tim asking him which tent would be sensible .
But then the collective on here wouldn’t know you’re off to Iceland on an heroic adventure .
Be sure to post more threads :)

The tents that always come out top choice (for all sorts of reasons, choices of locations and uses) are those offered by the Hilleberg company.

https://hilleberg.com/eng/

One of the company’s most vocal exponents, is Tim Olgra. He goes to Iceland a lot.

They are not cheap but are excellent. Not least you’d sell it easily here or on eBay, when and if you don’t want to use it anymore.

You’ll also receive all sorts of advice that bods have been using anything from a paper bag to a full on Nomad type, stand up and get your bike in it too, tent. Everyone will have their favourite. Some of the suggestions will come from people who have never been to Iceland nor camped there. I haven’t but were I too, I’d take a Hilleberg, no matter what. Not least, as I already have two of them.

Here’s something else to get you going:

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=ideal+tent+for+an+iceland+trip

Six words. Your opening post had well over 50.

Doing a search on google isn’t the way to do it. I’d rather hear directly from people on here who have already been and had personal experience of conditions and various tents.
Now going to look at your sensible answer of the Hilleberg variety.

A quick pm to Tim asking him which tent would be sensible .
But then the collective on here wouldn’t know you’re off to Iceland on an heroic adventure .
Be sure to post more threads :)

If I knew everything about everything like you clearly do then I wouldn’t need to ask the advice of people who have would I? Another fucking stupid comment from you. You just can’t help with the nasty little digs can you. Kindly fuck off and amuse yourself elsewhere. I certainly don’t need any contribution you can offer.

I use an MSR Elixir 1 .. very small and tidy. An excellent bit of kit though. Light and easy to pack into those panniers. :)

Back
Top Bottom