Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideal Tent For An Iceland Trip

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I think I’ve used Hilleberg 4-5 times in Iceland ( it’s all a blur now), but next time I’m tempted to take my fairy princess pop up tent and adjoined unicorn castle feature.

I reckon it would be ideal for storage of helmet and boots.

Here is a summary of all the tents and other variably helpful (or not so) recommendations to date. It is not always completely clear if the recommendation was always made with direct reference to Iceland or indeed if they always met the other criteria set by Udders, so further research or a question (or more) might well be on the cards.

Sleep under a tarp

Stay in a hotel (this can be discounted)

Robens Hikers Castle

2/3 person Blacks tunnel tent

MSR Elixir 1

Coleman Tent Darwin, Compact Dome Tent

Hilleberg Tarra

Nammatj 2GT / Nammatj 2GT (again) / Nammatj 2 GT (again)

A very small tent plus tarp / A very small tent plus tarp (again) / small tent with footprint, tarp (again)

Khyam igloo

Vango Omega 250

Hilleberg Anjan GT

Vaude Mk2 (but never used, so not sure if it’s a recommendation or not) / Vaude Mk2 (again)

Hilleberg Nammatj 3

Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT

Vaude (but no model mentioned)

Terra Nova Quasar Super Endurance (but only as a for sale advert)

Marmot Limelight3 / Marmot Limelight (again)

Hilleberg, but not specified which model

Hilliberg Nallo 2

Vaude Power Sphaerio 3 Persons - Mountain tent

Vango Assynt 200

Vango Meteor pro 300

Lone Rider ADV Tent - Adventure Motorcycle Tent (but take care as someone else says it’s unsuitable for Iceland)

Vango Helium F10 / Vango Helium F10 (again)

Vango Scafell 200 2 person tent

Hilleberg and tarp combo (type not specified)

Robens Green Cone / Robens Green Cone (again)

Scarp 1

Scarp 2 (comment that it’s better than the Scarp 1)

Hercules AST

Hilleberg (but type not mentioned)

Fairy princess pop up tent and adjoined unicorn castle feature (ideal for storage of helmet and boots)

Good luck pulling the bones out of that lot. If, as and when you do, be sure to let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    Here is a summary of all the tents and other variably helpful (or not so) recommendations to date. It is not always completely clear if the recommendation was always made with direct reference to Iceland or indeed if they always met the other criteria set by Udders, so further research or a question (or more) might well be on the cards.

Sleep under a tarp

Stay in a hotel (this can be discounted)

Robens Hikers Castle

2/3 person Blacks tunnel tent

MSR Elixir 1

Coleman Tent Darwin, Compact Dome Tent

Hilleberg Tarra

Nammatj 2GT / Nammatj 2GT (again) / Nammatj 2 GT (again)

A very small tent plus tarp / A very small tent plus tarp (again) / small tent with footprint, tarp (again)

Khyam igloo

Vango Omega 250

Hilleberg Anjan GT

Vaude Mk2 (but never used, so not sure if it’s a recommendation or not) / Vaude Mk2 (again)

Hilleberg Nammatj 3

Hilleberg Nammatj 3 GT

Vaude (but no model mentioned)

Terra Nova Quasar Super Endurance (but only as a for sale advert)

Marmot Limelight3 / Marmot Limelight (again)

Hilleberg, but not specified which model

Hilliberg Nallo 2

Vaude Power Sphaerio 3 Persons - Mountain tent

Vango Assynt 200

Vango Meteor pro 300

Lone Rider ADV Tent - Adventure Motorcycle Tent (but take care as someone else says it’s unsuitable for Iceland)

Vango Helium F10 / Vango Helium F10 (again)

Vango Scafell 200 2 person tent

Hilleberg and tarp combo (type not specified)

Robens Green Cone / Robens Green Cone (again)

Scarp 1

Scarp 2 (comment that it’s better than the Scarp 1)

Hercules AST

Hilleberg (but type not mentioned)

Fairy princess pop up tent and adjoined unicorn castle feature (ideal for storage of helmet and boots)

Good luck pulling the bones out of that lot. If, as and when you do, be sure to let us know.

Excellent post! . Lots of research possibilities there. That’s gonna keep me busy whilst I’m sat here in Chessington waiting to get loaded. Maybe not the unicorn one though.
    You must have been very bored to write all that out.
    A Needy Twat

Quote Originally Posted by Udders View Post
    Excellent post! . Lots of research possibilities there. That’s gonna keep me busy whilst I’m sat here in Chessington waiting to get loaded. Maybe not the unicorn one though.
    You must have been very bored to write all that out.
    You don’t know what you’re missing..

With the Green Cone the inner and outer come separate. The very first time you pitch it you then attach the inner. After that you just leave it there.

This may be the process for other Robens tents.

tom

Quote Originally Posted by Joe narvey View Post
    You don’t know what you’re missing..

Classy!
    A Needy Twat

My preference ....
    Hilleberg Soulo with the right tarp and poles.
    If it's raining I can pull the tent, pack everything away under the tarp.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    KEA

I already have a 3x3 Robens tarp. Never been out of its bag!
    I’m gonna have to get all my camping stuff out and see what I’ve got. I’ve gone soft over the last 5ish years and gone everywhere in my motorhome.
    A Needy Twat

I’m gonna have to get all my camping stuff out and see what I’ve got. I’ve gone soft over the last 5ish years and gone everywhere in my motorhome.
    Remember a tarp is only as good as the way it's pitched especially if it's windy

You have another year to think about what you're not going to take as opposed to what you could
    KEA

Tim Is the expert, but I struggled to find tarp poles small enough when collapsed to fit in luggage. I found the basic carbon fibre monopods from Amazon worked well. The collapse small and extend tall and can be adjusted any height. Also lightweight and strong.

For next trip if I can find a trap pole ( I plan to try bakermans suggestion) then I will go that route but if space is tight the monopod seemed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    Remember a tarp is only as good as the way it's pitched especially if it's windy

You have another year to think about what you're not going to take as opposed to what you could
    All that time to confuse myself! I’ve never put a tarp up but can see the many benefits of having one. I live on a campsite so I’ve no excuse not to experiment. Off to get the 850GS final drive from Tom Saturday so that’s something else sorted.
    A Needy Twat

All that time to confuse myself! I’ve never put a tarp up but can see the many benefits of having one. I live on a campsite so I’ve no excuse not to experiment. Off to get the 850GS final drive from Tom Saturday so that’s something else sorted.
    Haha don't worry, I'd only suggest using a tarp on a trip like this if you're using a tiny one man tent, so no need with anything bigger.

You've suggested you're a large guy and want a bit of space and I know we're often banging on about Hillebergs but as you're finding out there's plenty of cheaper alternatives.

One thing I would suggest again though, and I've never had one, look at the Hilleberg Nammatj 2GT. It'll suit your requirement perfectly and if you can find one at a good price you'll almost get your money back if you decide to sell it afterwards.
    They all fetch good money on ebay.
    KEA

Hilleberg tarp poles are excellent and refreshingly expensive.

Ok, tarp idea ditched! Yes, I’m a big lump and do like a bit of room and a decent porch on a tent. I’m quite impressed with the Robens Voyager Versa 4 2021 model. Probably not in the same range of the Hilleberg quality side of things but as long as it’s strong enough and roomy I may get one to try. It won’t get used all that much anyway.
    A Needy Twat

If I could add just one to Wapping's list, it would be this ...

https://wildbounds.com/products/trai...RoCtp4QAvD_BwE

.... as I like Lightwave as a company.

I have the older T2 Trek XT, which I bought about 15 years back, and despite not using it in a long time .. won't let it go!
    The new model has "multi pitch options" unlike mine which is inner first.

Ok, tarp idea ditched! Yes, I’m a big lump and do like a bit of room and a decent porch on a tent. I’m quite impressed with the Robens Voyager Versa 4 2021 model. Probably not in the same range of the Hilleberg quality side of things but as long as it’s strong enough and roomy I may get one to try. It won’t get used all that much anyway.
    After all the advise you're seriously thinking of packing a 4 man tent ..... Great, party time
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    KEA

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast