Klime Badlands Pro Jacket

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone riding one of these ?
Keep returning to it. I have a Rallye 3 pro currently, The Klime is twice the price, but is it twice the jacket ?

Attachments

• 4052-002_Blue_01_ml.jpg
    4052-002_Blue_01_ml.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 412
Ive a Badlands which replaced a Rallye (full suit) and would say it is a heck of a lot better. Been in intense heat and heavy downpours and apart from adjusting vents by zip, I’ve always been comfortable and never wet. This type of jacket aren’t super cool unless venting when on the go, but not many are if you want a decent level of protection.

Not sure how anyone puts value on these things, but 10k Mike’s later I wouldn’t change and have never retreated it.

The venting is one of the things I am worried about, The Rallye with all the vents open is very good. I wondered how good the venting on the Klime BP is ?
Which Rallye version did you come from ?

The only answer is try it, I find it a PIA, and dislike the design.

for me the issues, the inside pockets are non existent, a couple of mesh bags that catch on almost anything you put in, the outside pockets on the upper chest are ok but small, awkward and NOT 100% waterproof, stuff gets damp not soaking but damp, I have an issue with the sizing in that when they size up the jacket they dont seem to size up things like zips so for some the front pockets are fine for me the openings are small for my xxxl hands especially with gloves on, there is new level 2 body armour and the elbow ones are a nightmare they never stay in place you are supposed to use the straps around the arm to secure things in place which is fine except when its hot and the fact you have to adjust them every you take the jacket on or off. There is a water pouch pocket on the inside of the jacket on the back that sits behind the back protector, what a waste of time as when you fill the bladder and put it in place it reduces the amount of space in and around the jacket in conditions when its hot or why would you be using the bladder in the first place and you want lots of room and airflow??
Oh and I have no idea what the pocket on the arm is for, I believe its for a gps device, but it would only fit a "spot" and nothing else and its just in the wrong position to actually get anything in or out of without first taking off the jacket, not a fan of the collar holding open design as there are two thin elastic loops that hook onto the plastic bits on the jacket, its a design used on the Revit jacket which I used to have and lasted about 12 months personally I preferred the popper on the last version, nothing much to break and nothing to catch,

It is very waterproof, I find it pretty comfy to wear, it is lighter than previous versions but if I had a choice I would have had the previous version or the version one. I like the fact that it is a shell jacket as I like to be able to wear what layers I like underneath, it appears to be hard wearing although the fabric is a lot lighter and does not appear as abrasion resistant as the fabric used in previous versions of their jackets both badlands and adv,

I will be upfront, I was sent one as a warranty replacement for my Adv jacket, its not a patch on that one so I may be unfairly comparing it, however I personally would not buy one, but it may fit you better and the things that bug the fuck out of me may not you.

In short it is very very well made, but I think it is a piss poor design to live with long term.

Hope that is of help

The venting is one of the things I am worried about, The Rallye with all the vents open is very good. I wondered how good the venting on the Klime BP is ?
Which Rallye version did you come from ?

From a Rallye 3 too. I kept both for a while, but the Klim was always the first choice.

The Klim is ‘stiffer’ for sure so initially not as comfortable out of the box so to speak, but that actually helped me retain good posture on the bike as odd as that sounds. It’s not as cool as the Rallye with liner out, but overall, expecting all weathers it’s the best I’ve had.

Hot weather only, the Rallye probably does the job just as well.

Edit after reading above...

Fit is a bit different, which is why I bought from a physical store, but it suited me.

The pocket on the arm - medical card.

As a direct comparison with the Rallye, it’s a better jacket in my opinion, not saying it’s the best available.

The only answer is try it, I find it a PIA, and dislike the design.

for me the issues, the inside pockets are non existent, a couple of mesh bags that catch on almost anything you put in, the outside pockets on the upper chest are ok but small, awkward and NOT 100% waterproof, stuff gets damp not soaking but damp, I have an issue with the sizing in that when they size up the jacket they dont seem to size up things like zips so for some the front pockets are fine for me the openings are small for my xxxl hands especially with gloves on, there is new level 2 body armour and the elbow ones are a nightmare they never stay in place you are supposed to use the straps around the arm to secure things in place which is fine except when its hot and the fact you have to adjust them every you take the jacket on or off. There is a water pouch pocket on the inside of the jacket on the back that sits behind the back protector, what a waste of time as when you fill the bladder and put it in place it reduces the amount of space in and around the jacket in conditions when its hot or why would you be using the bladder in the first place and you want lots of room and airflow??
Oh and I have no idea what the pocket on the arm is for, I believe its for a gps device, but it would only fit a "spot" and nothing else and its just in the wrong position to actually get anything in or out of without first taking off the jacket, not a fan of the collar holding open design as there are two thin elastic loops that hook onto the plastic bits on the jacket, its a design used on the Revit jacket which I used to have and lasted about 12 months personally I preferred the popper on the last version, nothing much to break and nothing to catch,

It is very waterproof, I find it pretty comfy to wear, it is lighter than previous versions but if I had a choice I would have had the previous version or the version one. I like the fact that it is a shell jacket as I like to be able to wear what layers I like underneath, it appears to be hard wearing although the fabric is a lot lighter and does not appear as abrasion resistant as the fabric used in previous versions of their jackets both badlands and adv,

I will be upfront, I was sent one as a warranty replacement for my Adv jacket, its not a patch on that one so I may be unfairly comparing it, however I personally would not buy one, but it may fit you better and the things that bug the fuck out of me may not you.

In short it is very very well made, but I think it is a piss poor design to live with long term.

Hope that is of help

Thanks for your valued experience in this jacket.
Thinking about my Rallye 3 jacket, I only use one inside pocket for my phone, everything else I carry is in external pockets, which are not waterproof.
Lots of info there for me to chew on. Cheers.

no not the forearm the pocket on the right upper arm, it is supposed to be for emergency device but only fits the spot, wont take the Inreach or Garmin

From a Rallye 3 too. I kept both for a while, but the Klim was always the first choice.

The Klim is ‘stiffer’ for sure so initially not as comfortable out of the box so to speak, but that actually helped me retain good posture on the bike as odd as that sounds. It’s not as cool as the Rallye with liner out, but overall, expecting all weathers it’s the best I’ve had.

Hot weather only, the Rallye probably does the job just as well.

Edit after reading above...

Fit is a bit different, which is why I bought from a physical store, but it suited me.

As a direct comparison with the Rallye, it’s a better jacket in my opinion, not saying it’s the best available.

Is it £500 better?
The small sleeve pocket would fit the SANEF toll tag?
I think i may just buy this jacket......:thumb

Thanks for your valued experience in this jacket.
Thinking about my Rallye 3 jacket, I only use one inside pocket for my phone, everything else I carry is in external pockets, which are not waterproof.
Lots of info there for me to chew on. Cheers.

The pockets is the big thing for me, my old Klim Adventure rally jacket had all the pockets on the outside and they were as waterproof as the jacket itself, I had two very large chest pockets, two large patch pockets on the front and the bladder pocket was on the outside of the jacket on the back, so I was used to just ziping the phone into the upper chest pocket and off I went, tried it with the badlands and it was damp when I got it out, so it has to go inside and its just a pain when you are used to something else.
If spending klim money now I would be looking at the STADLER SUPERVENT 3, or Dane.

Is it £500 better?
The small sleeve pocket would fit the SANEF toll tag?
I think i may just buy this jacket......:thumb

I use the lower arm pocket for my debit card to use at tolls and refuelling. Ideal for a toll tag, but not sure how big that is - it’s not a big pocket at all - debit card sized and not ‘fat’.

Tough call on value, as we’re all different, but I think it’s worth more, but £500 more? I bought it, so guess my answer would be yes.

The kidney belt was a revelation for me. The chest protection a bit fiddly, agree on the internal pockets, but despite the previous comments, I found a perfect armour fit. I popped on a few pounds and there’s not much room for expansion, so please ensure you get the right size too.

Ill look at those jackets, I had a Rukker Armas jacket and couldn't get on with that, It was great in cold weather, but horrible in anything warm. Cost isn't a factor for this, Performance only

I use the lower arm pocket for my debit card to use at tolls and refuelling. Ideal for a toll tag, but not sure how big that is - it’s not a big pocket at all - debit card sized and not ‘fat’.

Tough call on value, as we’re all different, but I think it’s worth more, but £500 more? I bought it, so guess my answer would be yes.

The kidney belt was a revelation for me. The chest protection a bit fiddly, agree on the internal pockets, but despite the previous comments, I found a perfect armour fit. I popped on a few pounds and there’s not much room for expansion, so please ensure you get the right size too.

The size is another issue, S,M, L, XL, 2XL etc etc My Rallye is a 58, so is that an XL ? I really need to try them on.

The size is another issue, S,M, L, XL, 2XL etc etc My Rallye is a 58, so is that an XL ? I really need to try them on.

They size small, so please do try on and with the expected number of layers you ride with. Personally I have a long sleeve base layer and tee shirt only, which is fine for regular UK weather, but add a fleece in winter, remove the base layer in hotter climates.

I came from a Rallye 2 to a Klim Badlands. BMW were changing the Rallye and none were available in my size.

The jackets are chalk and cheese. The Rallye is comfortable soft easily vented and all day comfy. My Badlands is stiff , bit like wearing a suit of armour, complex eg tucking the chest armour pockets out of the way and lastly doesnt vent as well.

Which jacket would I wear in a downpour, the Klim every time, with its three layer goretex pro textile.As a lifetime jacket, this will outlive a cockroach.

As an everyday jacket for me its too full on. Which is a pity as it cost a fair bit.

Steve

They size small, so please do try on and with the expected number of layers you ride with. Personally I have a long sleeve base layer and tee shirt only, which is fine for regular UK weather, but add a fleece in winter, remove the base layer in hotter climates.
#

cheers:thumb

I came from a Rallye 2 to a Klim Badlands. BMW were changing the Rallye and none were available in my size.

The jackets are chalk and cheese. The Rallye is comfortable soft easily vented and all day comfy. My Badlands is stiff , bit like wearing a suit of armour, complex eg tucking the chest armour pockets out of the way and lastly doesnt vent as well.

Which jacket would I wear in a downpour, the Klim every time, with its three layer goretex pro textile.As a lifetime jacket, this will outlive a cockroach.

As an everyday jacket for me its too full on. Which is a pity as it cost a fair bit.

Steve

Its weighing it all up, but does sound like the Klime is worth it over the Rallye. Best i get one !

Steve

That’s a great summary I’d agree with.

I do wish I’d have kept my Rallye for everyday trips.

I think you will find the venting on the New Badlands is pretty good, you have 3 arm vents one on the forearm one upper front and one upper rear, four vents in the front and two large exhaust vents on the back of the main jacket.
Definitely try on, its easy for me I just take the largest size made, but I have noticed that the kit Klim make now is smaller than it was when Klim was its own company before being part of Polaris, both of my jackets were nominally the same size but the new one is noticeably smaller, however that may just be down to the cut being different because its a different model, my son who had the first gen badlands had to replace his after an accident and also thinks the newer one is cut smaller.
Oh and you dont have to muck about with the "chest" armour any more in that it does not bridge the gap over the zip, and its not really armour anymore its a bit of expanded foam stuff, or more accurately it is a worthless, pointless waste of time as it has no function, offers little or no protection and just takes up space !!! by offers no protection its not me being derisory, it is so flimsly that it will not pass any of the standards for body armour protection and as such cannot be called such, on the US web site they advertize "SILICONIZED SPACER MESH FRONT CHEST ARMOUR" on the EU site its SILICONIZED SPACER MESH FRONT CHEST FORWARD IMPACT PROTECTION VENTED, no calling it Chest armour anymore, when you see and feel it you will understand why.

This is actually very simple...

If it's cold and wet, the Badlands is ten times better than the Rallye - whatever version.

If it's hot and dry, the Rallye is ten times better than the Badlands - whatever version.

They are not alternatives. They are fundamentally different propositions, designed for fundamentally different conditions. Each has a way of dealing with what the other excels at. Rallye has a waterproof inner/outer layer. Badlands has vents.

I wore a Badlands Pro every day for three months, riding from London to Beijing. I never got wet. I did get very sweaty and very smelly. I would not take the same suit on the same trip again.

Despite what all the marketing guff tells you, laminate suits area totally crap in consistent hot weather.

Despite what all the marketing guff tells you, breathable, non-waterproof suits are totally crap in persistent cold and rain.

The Rallye is a superb suit. The Badlands is a superb suit.

It's all about intended use...

Back
Top Bottom