GS will not power up. help.

jeff smith

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
turned ignition on after a few month lay up. Nothing - no dash lights , no lights no ignition . Battery shows 13.5 volts. help please

It could be the microswitch that sits below where you turn the ignition key- they are known to fail.

Easy to change, if not exactly cheap for a simple switch!

Part number 61318543110, £79.50 from Motorworks.

When mine went it had gone through a phase of working intermitently, if yours will switch on/off after a few tries, it will tend to confirm its this part that has failed. Good Luck:thumb

As above, can be the micro-switch below the key, i had trouble like that years ago on another bike and i solved it by pushing the straw from a can of WD40 (GT85 will do it too)
right down into the assembly and giving it all a good dowsing then operate the lock quite a few times which can serve to clean the contacts in the switch, once the WD migrates
down there of course. Worth a try.

As above. I had the same problem. Wouldn't get any power when the key was turned. On and off a few times and it eventually came on. Started to get worse and worse so I replaced it. Been fine ever since.

thanks for replies. Just a matter of disconnecting battery 30 sec wait reconnect and do the throttle twist thing 3 times to reset ecu.
cheers

thanks for replies. Just a matter of disconnecting battery 30 sec wait reconnect and do the throttle twist thing 3 times to reset ecu.
cheers

Strange one. How did that restore a lack of power when the ignition was turned on. Could just be a coincidence I suppose. Keep an eye on the switch anyway.
Btw I changed my battery at the weekend and didn't do any throttle resetting and everything is working fine.

cheers

A bit bizzare is that. What effect can the throttle twisting have on an unpowered system as it's inert, dead. What effect on the ECU can a layup have? Many bikes get laid up without that problem occuring.
If someone can come up with a reasoned explanation i/we would be very interested to read it.

Anyway, the bike seems to be working now and, that's a good thing :thumb2

Maybe a corroded terminal connection causing the symptom of a dead battery.

Disconnecting and reconnecting possibly created a clean contact patch.

Maybe a corroded terminal connection causing the symptom of a dead battery.

Disconnecting and reconnecting possibly created a clean contact patch.

A more plausible explanation than throttle twisting affecting a dead/inert electrical system. :D

If its an early model (mine was an 06)

You may fin that you can open the switch pack, and get to the microswitches, some judicious use of contact cleaner or iso may free the offending unit off.

Later units are potted i believe

thanks for reply , managed to power up the bike using the reboot throttle procedure , went for a ride turned off the bike , tried to restart dead again , think its time to replace the switch. cheers

Back
Top Bottom