Removing brake caliper pistons

donkeydoo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I have both calipers off the Road King and split them and have teased two pistons out of each caliper, have looked online for tips about removing the other two from each caliper but was just wondering if anyone here had some genius tips.

My idea at the moment is to make some sort of plate to sandwich between the calipers mimicking the one they make for the job and try some more to force the last pesky ones out with air.

Best way I have found, is whilst still connected to brake line, pump the lever to push the pistons out. Probably one piston will stick, so before the moving piston is out, use wood block to stop it, & the other will release. (If its a 4 piston caliper you block 3, to release the sticking one)

But, you've disconnected the caliper, if you don't want to reconnect you could try googling "Motorcycle brake piston removal pliers" I've not used these, they work by gripping the internal recess of the piston

Best way I have found, is whilst still connected to brake line, pump the lever to push the pistons out. Probably one piston will stick, so before the moving piston is out, use wood block to stop it, & the other will release.

But, you've disconnected the caliper, if you don't want to reconnect you could try googling "Motorcycle brake piston removal pliers" I've not used these, they work by gripping the internal recess of the piston

Cheers for the advice I will give that a try reassemble and try and pump the other two out.

i normally pump all pistons out to a point , then remove from bike , split them and finish off with compressed air.

piston pliers are only any good if the pistons are free , if they are stiff = not gonna work.

a pair of gland nut pliers and old inner tube works for me.

I don't like to rush, and got the pesky 4 stuck pistons out this afternoon, Bought a Banjo fitting for the airline and worked a treat with the use of bits of wood and teasing them in an out...Celebratory beer now and will look at them another day...Cheers all for tips

Back
Top Bottom