2010 twin cam r1200 gs valve cover gasket

GSGRIFF

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all. My left valve cover has developed a slight oil leak and I’m wondering if a new gasket will be needed or if it might be just a case of dismantling and if their is no damage refitting. I wonder why the gasket would start leaking?
Anyway, if a new gasket is needed where is the best/cheapest source..£30 on eBay for one non original one.
Cheers, Rich.

These gaskets last a hell of a long time so I would try refitting first. DO NOT be tempted to tighten past the recommended torque setting which is quite low. If you still have a leak then go for and OEM version....have tried knock off copies on two occasions and they are not good.

Good advice, thanks. I haven’t got a decent torque wrench so I’m wondering if a cheap 1/4” or 3/8” drive one from screwfix would be ok,or likely to be inaccurate?

Good advice, thanks. I haven’t got a decent torque wrench so I’m wondering if a cheap 1/4” or 3/8” drive one from screwfix would be ok,or likely to be inaccurate?

Usually they say they are certificated which means accurate. Nonetheless a cheap one from screw fix is very much better than a standard wrench. Also, if you haven’t got a manual and need to know the setting let me know....I think 8nm from memory but will check if need be.

Cheers

I’m ok for manual thanks..1/4” screwfix torque wrench and genuine gasket looks like the best plan ��

The most common source of a leak is the small spark plug tunnel doughnut gasket/rubber seal. I’ve never had to change an outer cover gasket.

Ok maybe I’ll change that first then..thanks.

Back
Top Bottom