Ackro exhaust blowing

leasky

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
N.E Scotland / Middle of the sand pit....
Morning chaps - I am looking for some constructive advice.

I bought a 2020 plate R1250GSA Rallye TE from Vines of Guildford in Feb of this year. It was there demonstrator and came with the full billet pack. My intention was to further spec the bike as I don’t change my bikes very often and intended to keep this one for atleast 5 years and probably a lot longer.

I bit the bullet and asked if they could fit a full titanium Akropovic system (along with full adventure luggage and a host of other items). I was given prices for everything and the sales person then also asked if I wanted silver or black luggage and a silver or black end can - these were at an additional price - I went for the black luggage and black end can and a deal was reached on the bike, the extras and delivery.

The bike arrived and I was delighted. I got her out for her first proper run last weekend (lockdown in Scotland really only changed a week past of Friday) and I was able to get 300 miles on her last weekend.

When washing her last Sunday, I became aware of an area of discolouration on the end can (please see below image):

It wouldn’t clean off and I realised that the can was passing exhaust gasses from underneath the black “sheath”. This could be felt when holding a hand near to the area of discolouration.

I contacted Vines on Monday and they have told me that the black rear box was supplied by a third party (they won’t tell me who) and that it is not covered by the BMW warranty.

They have told me to get the bike back down to them at my expense (I am in Aberdeen) and they will “look into the issue” for me. My last communication from them stated that the “issue” should resolve itself over time, would not effect the performance of the bike and that many exhausts took time to “bed in”.

Suffice to say I am bitterly disappointed in all of this as they at no point during the sale told me that the back box wouldn’t be covered by BMW warranty.

I have asked them to inform me who supplied them the back box so as I may contact that company but they have not been forthcoming with any information.

What is the common consensus of the assembled brethren as to what I should do next?

Attachments

• 14AADD2B-AF97-4FFB-B8FE-C9E67929940A.jpg
    14AADD2B-AF97-4FFB-B8FE-C9E67929940A.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 926
Your ‘contract’ is with Vines of Guildford irrelevant of where they may have sourced the Akra can. It is there responsibility to correct the issue if they have supplied a sub standard / faulty part. My advice would be to complain to management and BMW directly and insist that they have a local BMW dealership deal with the issue OR they collect, rectify and deliver back to you at their expense. You have consumer rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it be possible to send the end can by courier? They only need the end can in order to look into the problem, surely not the entire bike.
Less risk of the bike getting damaged in transit there and back and less time 'bikeless' while they sort out a solution.

The discolouration will probably stain and will be the first thing you notice every time you get the bike out.

As said earlier, your contract is with Vines. I'd insist they do something about it, it's part of the bike they supplied and won't work without it. Did they supply you with system and can they took off? If they were awkward about it I'd be asking for them back too. It doesn't matter who supplied them they have to obligation to deal with it. Running it like that would surely have an effect on fuelling.

Given the amount of money you’ve invested in the bike, Vines attitude absolutely stinks. The exhaust is faulty and it won’t settle down over time, it will only get worse. They’ve sold you faulty goods, the bike is under warranty, they are obliged to correct the fault.

Poor service from Vines? Why am I not surprised?
I'd go with post #2 - kick up a fuss and in 5 years time go to one of the many reputable BMW franchises.

You have a faulty exhaust. You have reported the issue to the supplier which is the dealership.
The item has to be fit for purpose and will get worse. Speak to them again politely reminding them of the facts - back it up with an email to them and BMW.
How did you pay for the bike - finance? if so get on to them straight away. Deposit by credit card and rest by bank transfer - if so talk to credit card company.

Give them two weeks to come up with a solution at their cost and if not small claims for the retail value of the exhaust and labour to remove and fit.

Given the prospect of hassle in taking this forward with Vines, as you could if local, surely it can be cleaned up relatively easily.

I would have thought a light judicious application of good old Harpic Max, maybe agitated with a toothbrush or similar, would cure it in minutes. Just mask the areas you don't want accidental splash to affect. Then tease in some silencer gum to the area where you say it's leaking - I suspect it mainly blows when cold. Total investment negligible; time, maybe 30 minutes at a push, then another 30 minutes admiring your own brilliance over a glass of rioja.

I know it goes against the grain; I have experience of doing battle with Vines, but sometimes you just have to take the path of least resistance.

Gents, thanks very much for the pointers.

I have cleaned the discolouration off but obviously the can is still leaking / blowing.

I shall see what Vines say again tomorrow morning and take things from there; it may very well be a “self-fix” if I see an arduous road ahead.

Why self-fix? It’s blowing and Vines will, if pushed, change it. If you fix it yourself and it fails somewhere else in 6 months, they will claim you have invalidated the warranty. These people need to bite the bullet and replace the end can. No skin off there nose, they will claim against the manufacturer.

So you've paid God knows how much on your new bike & Vines have supplied & fitted all the extras, don't go down the self fix route . You need to get a bit serious with Vines & TELL them to get it sorted.
Hope Vines get real & sort the problem out for you.
Ian.

Did Vines tell you that it would not be covered by BMW Warranty and/or that it had not come from BMW prior to fitment? Personally I believe they have a duty of care to have informed you prior to purchase and fitment that they were fitting an item that would not be covered by any BMW warranty and that if they didn't they are at fault for not advising you of same (after all, your belief was that you were getting a part fitted which was supplied via BMW themselves surely - is that not what they advertise in their accessories brochure???)

I'd also query with them whether any of the other items you purchased may fall into a similar category (in their opinion) if you find you have subsequent issues with those.

I'd have a word with Citizens Advice before calling Vines to check your rights.

Yes, the reason I asked for everything to be supplied and fitted by Vines was to avoid me falling fowl of any warranty transgressions during that period.

At no time did they tell me that the back box would not be covered.

I am bitterly disappointed in their responses and shall be taking the appropriate, chronological steps as of tomorrow morning to understand my legal position and what Vines are required to do to rectify this issue.

Thank you all again for the continued information and views.

Back
Top Bottom