Ackro exhaust blowing

Fookin Vines - bunch of con merchants. I wouldn’t buy a packet of Polo’s from those cnuts.

I have heard that a couple of times on this thread; I wish I had asked the general question (on here) before I engaged with them.

I went to them because the local dealer here in Aberdeen is shite (in my humble opinion) and they (Vines) were offering the best price for the bike and the extras I wanted added - I had spoken to other dealers but Vines came back with the best deal. I suppose there is a big difference between cost and price......

I have that very exhaust can on my 2017 R1200GS. 2 years ago after a trip down to the Lake District it got really,really noisy so decided to buy sealed end, stainless steel pop rivets, open it up and have a look inside. You'd be surprised how flimsy and fragile the internals are given that the external quality is so nice. I bought wadding sheets and fitted them but it was very tricky to do and re-assembly was difficult. Your exhaust is likely scrap, to leak in that location the internal perforated steel tubes, the gauze around them, the wadding and the thermal shielding have all failed for it to leak there.This exhaust in my opinion is not designed to be serviced/repaired, I will dispose of mine for parts on eBay next time it gets noisy. You might get another year if you rebuild yours depending on how bad it is inside.
I bought mine used but mint on here and have covered about 5000 miles with it on. Had I paid full price I would have felt completely robbed, I wont buy another Akrapovic to replace it.

I hope your dealer replaces it for you, as it's not a BMW part you might be out of luck.

I have that very exhaust can on my 2017 R1200GS. 2 years ago after a trip down to the Lake District it got really,really noisy so decided to buy sealed end, stainless steel pop rivets, open it up and have a look inside. You'd be surprised how flimsy and fragile the internals are given that the external quality is so nice. I bought wadding sheets and fitted them but it was very tricky to do and re-assembly was difficult. Your exhaust is likely scrap, to leak in that location the internal perforated steel tubes, the gauze around them, the wadding and the thermal shielding have all failed for it to leak there.This exhaust in my opinion is not designed to be serviced/repaired, I will dispose of mine for parts on eBay next time it gets noisy. You might get another year if you rebuild yours depending on how bad it is inside.
I bought mine used but mint on here and have covered about 5000 miles with it on. Had I paid full price I would have felt completely robbed, I wont buy another Akrapovic to replace it.

I hope your dealer replaces it for you, as it's not a BMW part you might be out of luck.

Thanks very much for sharing this information; very useful and very pertinent.

I re-packed an Akrapovic end can and mid section a few years back for my KTM SDR.

It was a pig of a job and very difficult to get it back to original, so I'd say do not try to fix it yourself.

I re-packed an Akrapovic end can and mid section a few years back for my KTM SDR.

It was a pig of a job and very difficult to get it back to original, so I'd say do not try to fix it yourself.

Thanks for this, again, very useful information for me.

In light of what has been told to me here; I shall be demanding a new end can. I have furnished the local dealer with images of the can and have spoken with them and explained the issue. I hope that they see sense and officially state that the can is not fit for purpose and should simply be replaced.

I shall keep the brethren updated here and thank you all again for your valued insight, knowledge and comments.

If the can is a genuine supplied BMW optional accessory, the fitting and part itself are subject to the std 2yr parts warranty

However if it was a "you" sourced and dealer fitted for you accessory, then unfortunately your on your own

If the can is a genuine supplied BMW optional accessory, the fitting and part itself are subject to the std 2yr parts warranty

However if it was a "you" sourced and dealer fitted for you accessory, then unfortunately your on your own

Have you read the thread ????

Have you read the thread ????

Don't think sooo:D

However apart from the colour both are the same? BM have the attitude to down speck items from third party's. My ESA on the 1200RT from 2006 was made by WP, however the same model ESA direct from WP was diferent.

Don't think sooo:D

However apart from the colour both are the same? BM have the attitude to down speck items from third party's. My ESA on the 1200RT from 2006 was made by WP, however the same model ESA direct from WP was diferent.

dont you start either ;), yes i read the thread

I bought an aftermarket Akra pipe for my hexhead from a dealer and straight away I heard something rattling around in it. A quick call to the UK Akra distributor said that these things do happen sometimes so I just got it exchanged for another unit. As others have said just complain profusely until it is sorted.

Well, it has taken a few weeks but this morning I got a new black Titanium Akrapovic back box fitted by John Clark, Aberdeen.

Vines have stood good for it all and no expense to myself.

Hopefully this back box will be better put together then the last one. The mechanic at John Clark said he had never seen an Akrapovic back box leak like that before and it had been a factory / point of manufacture / QA issue.

Well, it has taken a few weeks but this morning I got a new black Titanium Akrapovic back box fitted by John Clark, Aberdeen.

Vines have stood good for it all and no expense to myself.

Hopefully this back box will be better put together then the last one. The mechanic at John Clark said he had never seen an Akrapovic back box leak like that before and it had been a factory / point of manufacture / QA issue.

Great result:thumby:

The saga continues; took the bike for a good long run yesterday (circa 300 miles) and gave her arse a fair slapping on some of the route.

Got her out of the garage today and when washing her down, I noticed that the new back box is passing again in atleast 2 places. It looks to be the exact same issue as before with the rivets allowing a gaseous release from under the black ceramic heat-shield. It looks to be another manufacturing flaw.

Here we go again and hopefully Vines will play ball immediately this time.

Pretty piss-poor quality from Ackrapovic to be honest - I am assuming it’s just a bad batch…..

Attachments

• 5D4F0BDC-18FB-4D13-9DC4-ED544982C80D.jpg
    5D4F0BDC-18FB-4D13-9DC4-ED544982C80D.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 216
  • F54A3BA6-A107-4580-A3CF-99004348E16C.jpg
    F54A3BA6-A107-4580-A3CF-99004348E16C.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 235
  • 6E0AC51E-A46F-47D9-B6CB-F20CB6D6400E.jpg
    6E0AC51E-A46F-47D9-B6CB-F20CB6D6400E.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 229
  • 8FA31BF0-8503-43EA-B7C3-D833332D9230.jpg
    8FA31BF0-8503-43EA-B7C3-D833332D9230.jpg