KTM Adventure 890R

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
b4d25b082a01e9cd91086dba90083a0b.png

3d5ca3991e0af4f3fdbf9f743140b197.png

Still waiting for mine 😫. Not the R - too tall and it will be doing road and gravel trips. I’m too old for the fancy stuff 😂😂

216kg dry...wow, for some reason I had thought these would be c200kg wet and fully fuelled. It's going to be c 230kg road ready then ?

That is heavy.

An update 690R seems the best possible option.

If the gearbox ratios were sorted and put the air box like the 790 it would be a damn good bike

From what I remember 140kg

For what is is worth KTM quote a dry weight of 196KG.

When did people start believing what MCN say ;)

Just rode the 890 Adv Standard and the new 1290S today, the 890 is an absolute blast.I didn't think I'd like the 21" wheel after riding the F800GS a few years ago, but it was brillaint.
The low down tank made the bike feel like a 500cc light as fcuk compared to a GS1250, brilliant engine,good back brake and nice handling.
Why cant dealers put the Tech packs on demo bikes though.? no quickshift, same on the 1290s as well..???
Anyway the 1290S, ballastic engine and handling.Brakes are a bit meh even though they are Brembos.It felt a lot lighter than the GS but the new tank spreads you legs apart a bit.Unlike the missues.! lol
Some of the bits and pieces are a bit poor quality, particulay the seat adjusters they are crap.Smooth as hell in town chugging in a 30 in 4th it then picked its skirt up no problems.
Had one dealer come back with a good deal for my GS waiting on another price, and I think I'm going KTM instead of GS and Multi, my Multi ordered bike needs a new engine, I think its a year too early for me to buy one.
Into the unknown with KTM..!!!

Im going to give it a whirl and will try Holeshot first. I enjoyed my old F800GS's, with any luck this is a better version of them

Just rode the 890 Adv Standard and the new 1290S today, the 890 is an absolute blast.I didn't think I'd like the 21" wheel after riding the F800GS a few years ago, but it was brillaint.
The low down tank made the bike feel like a 500cc light as fcuk compared to a GS1250, brilliant engine,good back brake and nice handling.
Why cant dealers put the Tech packs on demo bikes though.? no quickshift, same on the 1290s as well..???
Anyway the 1290S, ballastic engine and handling.Brakes are a bit meh even though they are Brembos.It felt a lot lighter than the GS but the new tank spreads you legs apart a bit.Unlike the missues.! lol
Some of the bits and pieces are a bit poor quality, particulay the seat adjusters they are crap.Smooth as hell in town chugging in a 30 in 4th it then picked its skirt up no problems.
Had one dealer come back with a good deal for my GS waiting on another price, and I think I'm going KTM instead of GS and Multi, my Multi ordered bike needs a new engine, I think its a year too early for me to buy one.
Into the unknown with KTM..!!!

But 890 or 1290 ?

That is FUGLY. Maybe KTM will eventually realise that offering two bikes where the only basic difference is the suspension aren’t going to sell. Despite all the overland off-road gods on this site very few owners are really going to trash a £13K kitted out bike off-road, particularly the non-R version. Every other manufacturer has worked it out - offer a road version with lower seat, cast wheels and 19” front, or have a single do it all model (T700). A midrange KTM would be very attractive if only it were, er, attractive :D

The 21" front on the 790S instantly put me off, otherwise I might of bought one as a commuter / local blast bike / Mrs Touring bike.

For me personally I suspect a 17" wheeled S model would work better, but then Ducati went an put a 19" on the MTS so maybe the "fact" that a 17" is always better than a 19" is actually a myth. I get that geometry also plays a part - and those that say a 17" is way better are often comparing the feel from a short travel suspension sports bike where your hands ar almost touching the front spindle, to an adventure bike with long wobbly forks and hands that are six foot from the front wheel.

What I do know is I did not like the 21" wheel on the 1290R, steering felt very hard work - and the 21's are much skinnier, the 19s are as wide as 17'2 and in theory will have a larger footprint all other things being equal (aspect ratio / profile)

Hope to ride new 1290 at end of May when mine is in for service.

I am sitting on the fence with 21 v 17.

I spent a few years on a 21 (notably, many years on an 1190R) and you cant argue the fact that, it does roll very very nicely on your quintessential English 'lane'. My preferred sort of roads are always those anyway, and that classic nearside position right hander where the road can be a bit ropey, the 21 front just floated.

But of course, my dilemma was in my head, and there was always this gremlin about that skinny 90/90 profile. Was it just inside my head? Probably.

Now back on a 17 front, if I'm honest with myself, I do feel more at home if I'm tramping on, but then the bikes I'm on now are more tuned to that style anyway. (790 and Tuono).

So .... horses for courses. If you're going to tour, explore, get off the beaten track, go back lanes, and you've sold your one piece leathers and are generally a bit more chilled out now .....actually .... a 21 does have a lovely floaty feel to it. :thumb

I’ve just spent a weekend on an 890R at Sweet Lamb on their Bronze course - I have a 790R - in my view not a huge amount of difference apart from slightly more torque lower down - can’t really say about top end as due to 100% off road over the two days it was only in off-road mode but instructors said it was quite a bit different.

I had a 1190Adv S with a 17/19 inch combo and it was superb. Then onto a 790Adv S with 18/21 inch and although the front felt a bit more remote it was absolutely fine, even at silly speeds through the twisties. Can't say it felt any better at dealing with potholes etc as the 1190 - whether the EDS system on the 1190 smoothed things out more I don't know.

Now have a 790 Duke and honestly, I think the 17/19 combination on the 1190 was actually better for my type of riding on UK roads.

The 1190 EDS was only electronic adjustment, basically press a button and a servo twiddles the twidlers, but its just conventional suspension from an operational perspective.

The 1290s has "proper" Electronic (Semi Active) suspension - which I don't find much better than the 1190S apart from a firmer fork setting - but still not as nice as the "Budget" front end setup on our 1090, that felt really well planted at all times.

Back
Top Bottom