Data tagged advice

davy1100

Reaction score
Hi folks have a 2016 gs its been data tagged my questions are do I need to register it after previous owner also there is a wire tapped up the side of the tank is this some sort of ariel transponder and does it drain the battery if so how do I remove it thanks for any advice

You could just google data tag, the website as you would expect has all the information you need to know about the system.

Al.

Hi folks have a 2016 gs its been data tagged my questions are do I need to register it after previous owner also there is a wire tapped up the side of the tank is this some sort of ariel transponder and does it drain the battery if so how do I remove it thanks for any advice

datatag, I wouldn't bother. Insurance, does it have anything on, yep its datatagged all new BMW bikes are (end of conversation)

Wire, trace it back and have a look. Or just cut the wire, then it can't drain.

Datag don't go there ,

After jumping through hoops to provide Vin & reg for a bike i bought that had already been data tagged .

They still wont change it over

Unless i provide the details of the previous owner, so they can write to them to confirm if they will release the tag, and allow the change to a new owner ...

And how do i find out who was the previous owner .... no longer on the V5, and the dealer wont release details due to Data protection ...

Go figure

So i gave up -

It cost me £15 to transfer the Datatag over when I got my 16 GSA, but it was a dealer bike so they had all the paperwork and details. As I understand it Datatag and also the standard BMW alarm don’t get you an insurance discount anyway, although someone else may know more than I do and can correct me.

.....previous owner also there is a wire tapped up the side of the tank is this some sort of ariel transponder and does it drain the battery if so how do I remove it thanks for any advice

What is the wire tapped (sic) up under the tank? Who knows?

Will it drain anything? Probably not. That’s assuming it’s it’s just a cut wire, that someone has taped up the side of the tank.

Will it short against anything? Is what you should have asked. Yes, possibly maybe.

How to remove it? Put some pliers on the end, grip the pliers and give it a good sharp tug.

Alternatively, find out (through looking and imaginative investigation) where the wire leads and work out what to do from there.

If you want a guess at what the wire is...... um..... er...... some careful, salt of the earth, bikermate (does all his own servicing) cut off something because he couldn’t be arsed to take it off properly.

Really just wanna know if it drains battery if not I'll leave it alone

Datatag is not an alarm, not an immobiliser and not a tracker, it’s a unique identifying tag as far as I know, it doesn’t or shouldn’t require a wire or power source, so if you have a stray wire it’s unlikely to be related to the Datatag installation.

Datatag

As per the previous post.
Tha Datatag has no electrical connections whatsoever
Its purely a clear liquid which has a unique identifier which is painted onto the bike, normally at PDI.

Thanks folks that what I wanted to know looks like I'll have to trace the wire see what its connected to it is taped onto the tank below the panel

Thanks folks that what I wanted to know looks like I'll have to trace the wire see what its connected to it is taped onto the tank below the panel

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JDSPwexlyTo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have never seen a post on the tinternet from someone saying "thank god for DataTag, i got my bike back!"
Which is why when i bought my GS and removed the seat, saw the green datatag sticker and ...... ignored it :D

Please reply, this stray wire is keeping me up at night.
Is it a tracker,
is it an old wire someone used to power a usb socket,
is it a wire for spot lights?

We need to know Davy :D

I too have this issue at the moment; traded my bike for a new 2nd hand one which is Datatagged, dealer does not give you the Datatag change of owner form due to Data protection as it has all the details and address of the previous owner and I think this is only correct, likewise I did not give the dealer the same form with my details for the bike I traded (he didn't want it either).

I emailed Datatag ref changing the details only to be told you have to use the form that no one will give you due to data protection! They then sent me a new form to be completed with my details and said they would contact the previous owner for confirmation they no longer had the bike, when this was done then they want a copy of the V5 with my details on it and a cheque for £20 for their trouble.

It makes no difference to your insurance (in my experience) and I really doubt it will prevent a theft, the idea is overt and covert markings to supposedly deter a thief especially if they wanted to break the bike for parts. If the bike or parts are discovered after a theft the Police can scan them to identify the owner.

If you have a bike and wish to change the Datatag registration all you need to do is contact Datatag and they will contact the last Datatag registered keeper not necessarily the last owner. I have just received a letter from Datatag regarding my old r1150gs which someone is trying to register the Datatag ownership to themselves.

I sold the bike in 2011 and I am aware that it has changed hands on at least two occassions since then , the lad I sold it to got all of the Datatag bumf but must never have changed it over .

Datatag must take into account if bike has changed hands as the letter stated that if they heard no objections to the change within 14 days they would just carry it out

Back
Top Bottom