Missing pipe?

Mulcher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Took off the cover on right side of tank on my 1250 to top up the expansion tank for the first time. It looks to me like the outlet (circled) should have a pipe connected to it. Can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• 88BFF6CB-589F-4C58-A03E-8428CD3854ED.jpeg
    88BFF6CB-589F-4C58-A03E-8428CD3854ED.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 515
This is taken from my chassis number on Real OEM for 1250

Shows a pipe that feeds back into the bottom of expansion tank. It might be flapping about below :thumb

Jon

This is taken from my chassis number on Real OEM for 1250

Shows a pipe that feeds back into the bottom of expansion tank. It might be flapping about below :thumb

Jon
It kind of looks like that from that diagram but that pipe actually connects the bottom of the pictured expansion tank to the top of the radiator. I too thought that I had a pipe missing from the top connector on that expansion tank on my R1250GS: the dealer assures me not. All is in order with the top connector being open to atmosphere.
Alan R

On my 2019 R1250GS the outlet atthe top is open to the elements and I too was assured by my dealer that it was correct.

Personally I thought it should have a pipe on it for, if nothing else, diverting any hot water away from the immediate locality should any water choose to come out (and may yet put a drain pipe on myself purely for peace of mind)

If I may step in:

The hose in the picture in previous post is called the coolant overflow hose and leads from the bottom of the expansion tank to the skirt on top of the radiator holding the radiator cap. Whenever the spring in the cap reliefs pressure due to the coolant warming up, the overflow water will be pressed through this hose that leads the coolant to the lower intake in the expansion tank. When the coolant cools of, the water in the radiator will retract and the coolant that previously was pushed out will return to the radiator.

The expansion tank is not pressurized, hence when coolant fills into the tank, it needs to relief some air. This air escapes via the expansion tank top outlet through the vapour discharge hose. This hose is your missing connection. It's #1 in the picture

51119957176_0eb55b21f3_o.jpg

Thank you for that Knutk, although your last paragraph has confused me a little. Are you saying that there should be a hose connected to the top of the expansion tank?
Alan R

Thank you for that Knutk, although your last paragraph has confused me a little. Are you saying that there should be a hose connected to the top of the expansion tank?
Alan R

According to the rep DVD, yes.

It's the #1 hose in the picture and is supposed to connect your current open outlet on top of the expansion tank.

The other hose, #3, that is shown in the previous post, is the hose that is connected to the bottom of the expansion tank and ends inside the blue circle.

#1 hose only purpose is to allow air to flow in and out of the expansion tank as the level goes up or down.

It kind of looks like that from that diagram but that pipe actually connects the bottom of the pictured expansion tank to the top of the radiator. I too thought that I had a pipe missing from the top connector on that expansion tank on my R1250GS: the dealer assures me not. All is in order with the top connector being open to atmosphere.
Alan R

Yes of course it does :blast I was tired last night. Glad you pointed that out so OP didn’t go and drain the rad connecting the pipe to top of expansion tank :D

Alan R

Re-reading the posts, it seems that I kind of stepped on your post #3. I do apologize, (and it probably will happen again :blast )

Anyway, if there is no hose there, BMW may have chosen to just skip it, even if it is described in their maintenance DVD. After all, the hose should be fastened by a clamp, so for the hose to just fall off is not very likely. If I should guess, the hose may have been installed in order to minimize the risk of entering dirt into the coolant. And the hose not listed in real OEM may be a clue..

Uhm, thanks guys but, at the risk of appearing dim, I’m more confused now than before I asked the question :duno

It’s a generic part that fits several vehicles. In some, it may need a hose. In yours it probably doesn’t.

For what it's worth:

In the 1200GSA DVD, the missing pipe removal and installation is described and shown with pictures.

The 1250GSA DVD also offer the same description.

However, in the 1250 DVD, at the end of a detailed description, BMW has added a singel line notice, saying that BMW decided to omit the evaporation tube mid 2013.
The first LC 1200GSA was launched in 2014, hence they decided to omit the tube from day one. Yet the removal and installation is included, and even brought forward in the 1250 manual.

Go figure :aidan :friday

For what it's worth:

In the 1200GSA DVD, the missing pipe removal and installation is described and shown with pictures.

The 1250GSA DVD also offer the same description.

However, in the 1250 DVD, at the end of a detailed description, BMW has added a singel line notice, saying that BMW decided to omit the evaporation tube mid 2013.
The first LC 1200GSA was launched in 2014, hence they decided to omit the tube from day one. Yet the removal and installation is included, and even brought forward in the 1250 manual.

Go figure :aidan :friday
I definitely noticed the apparent missing tube on my 1250 but can’t say that I did on my previous 2017 1200gsa, even though I’d had all the panels and tank stripped from both bikes.
I’m also interested that you have a 1250 repair DVD: my local dealer told me that BMW no longer produce them- probably my dealer trying to discourage home servicing. I presume you obtained yours from a Norwegian dealership?
Alan R

I definitely noticed the apparent missing tube on my 1250 but can’t say that I did on my previous 2017 1200gsa, even though I’d had all the panels and tank stripped from both bikes.
I’m also interested that you have a 1250 repair DVD: my local dealer told me that BMW no longer produce them- probably my dealer trying to discourage home servicing. I presume you obtained yours from a Norwegian dealership?
Alan R

Yes, i got the DVD from my local pusher, in Norway.
I wouldn't mind sharing a copy. The catch is, It will not open until it has been registered on-line, and each DVD is limited to maximum 3 copys, and I'm using all 3, 1 in my garage PC with it's 40" screen, 1 in my daily use-pc and one on my on-tour PC.
I got mine a year and a half ago.

Yes, i got the DVD from my local pusher, in Norway.
I wouldn't mind sharing a copy. The catch is, It will not open until it has been registered on-line, and each DVD is limited to maximum 3 copys, and I'm using all 3, 1 in my garage PC with it's 40" screen, 1 in my daily use-pc and one on my on-tour PC.
I got mine a year and a half ago.
Thank you for that information. I shall now set about tracking a copy down in the UK. If not my local dealership then somewhere else.:thumb2
Alan R

Back
Top Bottom