R1150GSA strange starting issue.

ajcarr44@aol.co.uk

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2004 r1150gs adventure and have recently had some issues with it. I had trouble starting it this evening, it was turning over well but never started and at one point sounded like it was out of battery, the digital clock ended up at zero. It eventually started and drove perfectly fine, I then parked up a mile away from home, got off the bike for 15 minutes then restarted it, and it started straight away without issue. A mile later I got home and decided to restart it, where the battery was almost completely flat. It tried to turn over twice very slowly and now there isnt even any lights on the display. I used my multimeter on the battery connections and it displayed 0.46 volts. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I have checked the alternator belt which is in good condition and tension is good. Thanks, Ash

Thanks for the reply guys, new battery and new starter motor!!

A clear sign of a weak battery is when she is slow to turn over and start and when the clock blinks then shows 00.00.

I'd start with a battery first and if that doesn't cure the fault then look at going further.

If you can test the battery first, you might find it's fine. I replaced my battery convinced that it was finished before discovering that a couple of magnets had become detached from the starter casing. The slow turnover, despite having charged it, the ABS not completing the self check and the resetting clock had me convinced it was the battery. After fitting a new starter (15 minute job), I charged the old battery and used a newly acquired tester on it. It had been fine all along.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply guys, new battery and new starter motor!!

What does that mean ??? You’re now going to fit a new battery and starter motor ? Or it has a new battery and starter motor fitted ? ..... if they are both new was the problem there previously ? If not there why did you change both the starter and battery ?

Sorry steptoe, I have replaced both the battery and the starter motor, I purchased the bike with 105000 miles on and went through everything that it needed. The starter was slipping and the battery was changed as I always do it when purchasing a new bike if it's older.

I have come back to the bike today to test, but overnight the trickle charger hasn't given it any charge in the slightest! I know the trickle charger is fine as I have had it connected to my 1100 gs.
I have gone through the connections today and found a few crusty ones, cleaned and greased with acf50. Should I be looking for a parasitic drain? I now have the trickle charger connected charging the battery only so I can further my checks. I would not know if this was an issue prior to changing these components as I only started riding after the work was done. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom