Chinese crash bar bumpers

Petefinlay

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
A warning from someone who has learned the hard way!
I recently purchased a pair of crash bar bumpers (long narrow type) to protect my bars if I drop my bike. £8 + postage from Aliexpress, a Chinese web site, a bargain, or so I thought!
Unfortunately, I let my 1250 fall over, it was stationary and I nearly caught it, but let it down gently.
The bumper split in two causing the metal plate and screws to strike the rocker cover giving it two small scratches from the screw heads.
So the damned "protector" did the exact opposite! To say I was displeased would be an understatement!!
I have now purchased a pair of Wunderlich crash bar slide pads for £63. They look identical to the Chinese pair but I bet they don't split in two if I drop the bike again.
I realy should know better, this is the second time I have bought Chinese parts for the bike and regretted it.
Buy cheap buy twice.
Please don't tell me I should have known better, I know that and don't need reminding, I just thought I might save someone on the forum from making the same mistake.

Cheers, Pete

You could get some Machine Art Moto head protectors so you can't even see the scratch and will provide more protection.

Never quite got my head round buying crappy Chinese copies of anything. That’s not a dig by the way! Damn shame your bike got damaged by them.

"I have now purchased a pair of Wunderlich crash bar slide pads for £63. They look identical to the Chinese pair but I bet they don't split in two if I drop the bike again."
How can you say that without testing them in the same way? They might have been made in the same factory in China.

The chinese can keep their flu as they can can keep their cheap sheet as well as western brands who make their stuff with cheap chinese labor to sell it for huge profit...Keep it in china :D

Pound to a pinch of shit the Wundelichs are made in the same factory as the 'cheap Chinese shit'

I'm guessing Wunderlich don't have factories in Bremen, Berlin and Braunschweig full of lederhosen- or dirndl-clad workers churning this stuff out

I have a set on mine, when I installed them I cut the bolts down just in case what happened to you happens to me. I had to install it first the remove the bolts one at a time cut it down and reinstall it as you couldn’t do it beforehand.
mind you I don’t think they would protect much but for a controlled tip over say they would protect your crash bars

I have a set on mine, when I installed them I cut the bolts down just in case what happened to you happens to me. I had to install it first the remove the bolts one at a time cut it down and reinstall it as you couldn’t do it beforehand.
mind you I don’t think they would protect much but for a controlled tip over say they would protect your crash bars

I don't mean to piss on your parade here guys, but seriously, a protector to protect the crash protector??? What's next? A protector that protects the crashbar protector??

My recommendation: Throw them away. If you drop the bike there will be minor scratches on the crashbar. If you don't like the scratch, use a bit of sand paper and the crashbar will be restored to the 'before crash' condition.

my 2c.

Knutk, the logic is simple, very expensive crash bars protected by cheap, replaceable, sacrificial bits of rubber/plastic.
But in my case, too cheap. Happy to spend £63 on something that keeps the bike looking new. If I'm unfortunate/stupid enough to drop the bike again and the engine and crash bars are protected but the bumpers damaged, I'll spend another £63.

Pete

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

By the way, I still have one undamaged Chinese bumper. They are partly hollow inside to save on materials, and have very specific casting shapes internally.
If the Wunderlich ones turn out to be the same, they will be going back for a refund and I'll machine up a set for myself from a material I think will do the job. Won't be as pretty though!
Pete

Knutk, You can piss all you like, it’s upto the individual to make their own decision on what protection they install.. like I mentioned they would not protect anything if the bike had a heavy fall they are just a cheap bit of plastic, but, I’d rather bust a cheap bit of plastic than the scuff the crash bars.
No doubt there are people for and against adding protection but I would bet there are more for it.

Maybe time for sum to get lower lighter bike they can handle, cool is good but can be expensive.

Maybe time for sum to get lower lighter bike they can handle, cool is good but can be expensive.

Eh? I’ve seen some pretty experienced bikers drop their pride and joy. Most are built like door frames, so a lighter, lower bike won’t solve it. Handling a static bike requires confidence, nothing more. Watch those skinny dudes in their late teens, early twenties in a bike dealership, putting out the bikes on the forecourt before the day’s business - confidence around the bike is everything. Most riders tend not to bother with this aspect of biking and focus their efforts on the riding aspect. Accidentally dropping a bike can happen to anyone, at anytime.

Struth!! I post a warning to forum members so they don't get caught out with a sub quality product the way I was and now it's suggested I get a smaller lighter bike I can handle!
Go forth and multiply

Struth!! I post a warning to forum members so they don't get caught out with a sub quality product the way I was and now it's suggested I get a smaller lighter bike I can handle!
Go forth and multiply

I appreciate the post. I’ve just bought the wunderlich ones and about to fit them - so thanks ����

.....Google’s ‘GS crash bar protectors’ and gets wallet out...

By the way, I still have one undamaged Chinese bumper. They are partly hollow inside to save on materials, and have very specific casting shapes internally.
If the Wunderlich ones turn out to be the same, they will be going back for a refund and I'll machine up a set for myself from a material I think will do the job. Won't be as pretty though!
Pete

Thanks for the heads-up, think I'll be swapping my Chinese ones for some Wunderlich ones!

Just as an aside / a thought. Do you remember on 'tubular' chairs they fitted "feet" - well they are really quite cheap and they just clip on. I've 'topped' up my Chinese special with a few of these clipped onto the crash bar at strategic places to give a bit of extra protection (and IMO it doesn't look out of place either but that's always going to be personal opinion))

These are them - only 0.37p each for an extra bit of peace of mind! https://www.bpfonline.co.uk/show_product.asp?id=1845&catid=3152

Eh? I’ve seen some pretty experienced bikers drop their pride and joy. Most are built like door frames, so a lighter, lower bike won’t solve it. Handling a static bike requires confidence, nothing more. Watch those skinny dudes in their late teens, early twenties in a bike dealership, putting out the bikes on the forecourt before the day’s business - confidence around the bike is everything. Most riders tend not to bother with this aspect of biking and focus their efforts on the riding aspect. Accidentally dropping a bike can happen to anyone, at anytime.

was only light joke.

So my £63 Wunderlich crash bumpers arrived today and to my utter disbelief, they are identical (apart from the logo) to the £8 bumpers from China!!!! If anything, the Chinese one's are slightly better internally braced. The material is the same injection moulded hard plastic. Wunderlich has gone way down in my estimation, they are re-branding crap and making a fortune out of it. But I have to say the German packaging was very nice but possibly not worth £55?
BobT was absolutely on the money. So much for buy cheap, buy twice! It could be argued that the Wunderlich ones would fair better under test, I have been in engineering for 44 years, no they f-ing wouldn't!

I'm sorry if I have caused anyone the expense of changing to the Wunderlich bumpers, send them back.

I have now ordered a few of the plastic rings that hawkeye posted about. All they have to do is protect the bars from scratches. Some double sided tape should keep them in place nicely. Thanks hawkeye.

Cheers,
Pete

So my £63 Wunderlich crash bumpers arrived today and to my utter disbelief, they are identical (apart from the logo) to the £8 bumpers from China!!!! If anything, the Chinese one's are slightly better internally braced. The material is the same injection moulded hard plastic. Wunderlich has gone way down in my estimation, they are re-branding crap and making a fortune out of it. But I have to say the German packaging was very nice but possibly not worth £55?
BobT was absolutely on the money. So much for buy cheap, buy twice! It could be argued that the Wunderlich ones would fair better under test, I have been in engineering for 44 years, no they f-ing wouldn't!

I'm sorry if I have caused anyone the expense of changing to the Wunderlich bumpers, send them back.

I have now ordered a few of the plastic rings that hawkeye posted about. All they have to do is protect the bars from scratches. Some double sided tape should keep them in place nicely. Thanks hawkeye.

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks @Petefinlay as I was seriously thinking of ordering some Wunderlich ones - now I won't! Hopefully those rings will do the job for you, actually I find they stay pretty well in place just clipped on Glad to help - will be interested to hear your feedback when you fit them

Back
Top Bottom