1990 K100RS 16v ABS Brake Hose Replacement

Bonzo

Reaction score
I've bought some Venhill braded hoses for the old brick with the intention of handing them over to a great local bike spanner man for fitment (I wouldn't trust myself doing that job,)but he says he cant do it because he doesn't have the electronic 'plug' needed to correctly bleed the system.

I suppose its a case of finding a BMW dealer that has the old diagnostic gear and biting the bullet with the cost - or is there another way around it?

Nothing is needed as it’s all the prehistoric ABS system :D You bleed the system as any normal bleeding procedure. If it’s an early one the modulators are on each side fixed to the footrests, they have bleed nipples on them. Bleed the modulators first, then the caliper - ic it has the later single modulator under the seat it has front and rear bleed nipples on the unit.

Evening Steptoe, was hoping you'd pop in with a nugget of wisdom. Yeah, its ABS1 with the modulators on the footrests.

So he doesn't need any special gear then. Even the Clymer manual says take it to a dealer.

Cheers mate.

Evening Steptoe, was hoping you'd pop in with a nugget of wisdom. Yeah, its ABS1 with the modulators on the footrests.

So he doesn't need any special gear then. Even the Clymer manual says take it to a dealer.

Cheers mate.

You need no special equipment or diagnostics.... The ABS modulators have their own bleed nipple, use in the same way as the brake caliper bleed nipples.

Don't worry, just bleed in the same way as any other vehicle. No electronic equipment needed to bleed these old systems. .
The only function of the ABS diagnostic plug is to read any faults in wheel sensors, there is no service function available to open abs valves etc etc, that only became possible on BMW's approx 10 years after your model.

You need no special equipment or diagnostics.... The ABS modulators have their own bleed nipple, use in the same way as the brake caliper bleed nipples.

Don't worry, just bleed in the same way as any other vehicle. No electronic equipment needed to bleed these old systems. .
The only function of the ABS diagnostic plug is to read any faults in wheel sensors, there is no service function available to open abs valves etc etc, that only became possible on BMW's approx 10 years after your model.

Great info sir, thank you V much :beerjug:

I've replaced the original hoses with Venhill Powerhose jobbies and have noticed that the Venhill banjo unions are a tad shallower than the originals. This only seems to be an issue on the front splitter (to modulator), where I cannot tighten the banjo at the splitter enough to stop it rotating. This tells me that the M10 union bolt (re-used the original) has now become too long (shallower banjo = effectively longer bolt??).

Should I

a). Pop a second washer between the splitter and the lower banjo washer? or...
b). Dump the original bolt(s) and get some Venhill dome heads? They come in 1mm or 1.25mm - (I think the original is 1.25mm). I'm thinking the 1mm will go all the way in.

Hope that makes sense :barf

Ooh and any recommendations on torque (calipers/splitters/MC) ? I've seen different numbers

Last edited:
If you put the wrong thread in you’ll damage the splitter. I’d speak to Venhill if there is an issue with their fitting.

Back
Top Bottom