Belgium, Bouillon etc - Blitzkrieg 1940

Wapping

Reaction score
I tripped over this by chance. As it features Bouillon (a popular destination on these pages) and other familiar towns, I thought some might be interested in it.

You can see Bouillon’s popular de la Poste hotel and the destroyed bridge across the river that the hotel stands on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SUofXSzAyl4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Being a propaganda film it majors on the mechanised aspects of the rapid ‘lightning’ advance. The reality of course was that the vast bulk of the German army was unmechanised, horse drawn and marched by foot.

I'm sure that I saw Micky a few times in that film.... :D

I'm sure that I saw Micky a few times in that film.... :D

:jes He’s the gift that keeps giving. He’s also in the Bayeux Tapestry, you know.

Is he the older officer, directing operations?

I often think looking at these old films that most of those shown, even fleetingly, as young men are all now very probably dead. Many of them killed over the course of the war or simply gone due to old age (or misfortune) since.

I recognise several other of the locations in the film, too. I like the quite clever photograph trick, where bods take an old picture and superimpose it on a modern picture, taken at the same spot.

Thanks for that - interesting viewing and also recognised a few landmarks, including the road-tunnel at the other end of the town.

Can't help but wonder if the Germans on motorcycles also revved up their engines while riding through it... :D It's a decent road the other side that heads up to Corbion (& Pussemange beyond).

Good find.

I clocked the La Poste which reminded me of an overnight stay, a great meal and several beers sat out
overlooking the bridge. A lovely characterful hotel.
I wonder if the Germans parked their bikes in the hotel secure parking accessed alongside the river.:D
The manager of the hotel was an abrupt woman of stout stature.:eek: (about eight years ago).

She has been there for as long as I can remember. The old dog is no more though.

Back
Top Bottom