GS is still the best !

Im with you , my GS is the bike of choice for me , bearing in mind I only ride for pleasure and most rides are 300 + miles around the beautiful Welsh roads ( mainly Bs as the A roads are bit full of Fuzz bait , excuse the pun) around 1200 miles a month ish.
The whole thing about the GS is its a great all round bike that when pushed is as good as it gets for the sector. I too choose to take the 6 days 250 out if I want to off road , or the 990 SMR out for a quick cafe run .
Lots on here seem to have a go at the GS for being great , similar to a bunch of ugly girls picking on the good looking and harmless girl in the pub as they cannot deal with the truth.
I am also lucky that i have access to other bikes to ride , cafe racers , chops and custom bikes . But its the GS that stirs my heart as i love to push , push , push on it as its just so good and to call it boring and not exciting if , I feel , due to how some may ride it.

The Road from Prudhoe Bay to Key West is straight,slow and boring...So were the FJR or XT1200 . Boring bikes perfekt for that kind of ride...As for the RT it is better than the GS if you live in colder and wet climates due to the fairing that is so effective that it gets a little hot in warm regions.
The GS is not a great numbers on paper bike or a bike to look at but so much fun when you ride it hard no matter if you use it as a sportbike on backroads , touring in foreign counties or just commuting.The combination of boxer,Tele and Para Lever is hard to beat...All it needs is More Top End and it is the perfect Road Tool :thumby: KTM or Ducati are 20 mph faster and take a few seconds less to get there...The XR is faster than these bikes but misses the torquey Boxer , Telelever and shaftdrive...The GS is the best but needs 160 hp/NM :thumb
We have to wait another Year and a Half and by 2023 the all new R1300GS will have addressed that problem to be even better :D All we can bitch about then is excessive tire wear ;)
And by 2030 there will be still boxer engines as the electric future will be over as some idiocy dreamed up by green wackos that had no clue about reality and a few electric vehicles will be still driven by car haters,people with more money than sense and a few eccentrics and the EU will be long on the junkyard of history where it belongs remembered as a dictatorship of a few greedy banksters not unlike as the old Soviet Union...And the U.S. probably broken up as the former Soviet Union due to racial tension and economic desperation and an overzealous government that tried to mimic the former Soviet Union both run by the same elite and self chosen ones...Interesting times we live in !

Stick I'm with you...I used to have many bikes but it got too expensive to insure and pay for all these bikes as also to much of a pain to keep the batteries charged so the last few years I'm down to only one bike.And if you can only have one bike you need one that can do everything fairly well so the GS...If I should get back into trackriding I might violate the rule and get me a S1000RR or if BMW ever decide to get their heads out of their asses and instead of wasting their time and resources on boat-anchors like the R18 bring out another sport-boxer and modern replacement of the R1100S I had to buy one and probably still have a GS :thumby:

The Road from Prudhoe Bay to Key West is straight,slow and boring...So were the FJR or XT1200 . Boring bikes perfekt for that kind of ride...

Go research. Slow for you maybe. John Ryan belted down what essentially is a gravel track for 200-300 miles on an inappropriate machine. He made it work for a record ride. Blokes like John Ryan are like gods amongst the glitterati of long distance riders. Fancy doing a 1000 mile day in single digit temperatures on your GS?

PS there is more than one road from Prudhoe Bay to Key West.

The 2021 RT is a totally different proposition to the first 1250 RT. If you haven’t ridden one then do so you will be amazed at what BMW have achieved. I’m somewhat confused as to how or what has been changed to make the new 1250 RT so much better than my 2019 1250 GS. I can’t speak of the 2021 GS as I haven’t tried one yet. We all have our own opinion and that’s mine. :comfort

The 2021 RT is a totally different proposition to the first 1250 RT.t
Not true really, there is no difference mechanically and performance wise between the first 1250RT and the new one, just the tablet size dash which not appreciated by many and the flakey sat nav system and new lights

I agree with you. On paper that is how it looks but in reality it isn’t. Have you ridden the 2021? As I e said twice, try it it’s a totally different experience. Makes my 2019 feel like a tractor

Had a lot of bikes including 1200GS and RTs. My current main bike is the 2019 1250 GS. Have you ridden the 2021 RT?

I own a 2019 R1250RT which as I said performance wise is the same as the latest you may find your 1250 GS doesn't feel the same because though they are both 1250 engines the mapping of the ECU is different, the 1250RT 0-60 is almost 1/2 sec quicker for example @ 2.9sec

The 2021 RT knocks the others including the 2020 1250 RT) out of the park. Don’t ask me why this is it just is. I assume you haven’t ridden a 2021? For some unknown reason (that I can’t fathom) it is just a better bike. Ive ridden two from different dealers and they were both miles ahead of the 2020s RT and GS.

Please try one and I’m sure you will be as amazed as I am. It’s uncanny , smoother quieter gear changes like butter etc etc.

Ok, I don't agree, they are identical performance wise, I don't believe you have road tested a 2020RT or you would know, you can't compare your GS performance to a RT's for reasons I have already explained, I guess just have to disagree and I'm out :thumb

The 2021 looks much sportier with a new front/LED lights and has a HUGE TFT screen with build in NAV as also linked brakes and upgraded ESA suspension but the engine now EU-5 won't be stronger and the frame/suspension setting is the same...So pretty much the same bike but better looks and latest electronic gizmos...My guess for GS is 2022 will be last year for the current one and in 2023 we see the new generation with 160hp/NM and also the M1300GS with 17" wheels and the right geometry to take advantage of the stickier rubber available...:thumb2

Not a bad video except for the bad location and weather in socal...ugly ! He should have taken it down the Baja all the way to Cabo :thumb Next GS needs more DRAMA on top and same size bags ! And a bigger tank because my tank range is not 200 miles but more like 150 miles including reserve....24 liters would be a good compromise between size and range.
I agree with him except the 1250 is heads and shoulders above the 1200...Much more TORQUE and much quieter not the exhaust but noises from the valvetrain !

Not a bad video except for the bad location and weather in socal...ugly ! He should have taken it down the Baja all the way to Cabo :thumb Next GS needs more DRAMA on top and same size bags ! And a bigger tank because my tank range is not 200 miles but more like 150 miles including reserve....24 liters would be a good compromise between size and range.
I agree with him except the 1250 is heads and shoulders above the 1200...Much more TORQUE and much quieter not the exhaust but noises from the valvetrain !

I agree the 1250 engine is noticeably better than the 1200 - I've had all versions of the 1200 since 2005 and the generational improvements have been clear to me - the improved 'smoothness' , torque and power of the latest 1250 is obvious.

Engineer , Zach worked for Motorcyclist and now for the industry so he is not totally honest...otherwise he would have said don't bother with the 1200 and if GS go for the 1250 because like you said it is much smoother,has perfect fueling and so much more Torque and the ugly noises from the valvetrain you can hear riding around town or sitting at a light are gone ! All that is missing now is KTM/Ducati beating top-end to make it perfect ! Hopefully on the new 1300 :thumb

Back
Top Bottom