Which Optimate?

Still, back to my original question? Is optimate 4 the one to have for a modern KTM? I may purchase Grey BMW charger for wife’s R9T, as that just plugs in to din socket and all is well.

Still, back to my original question? Is optimate 4 the one to have for a modern KTM? I may purchase Grey BMW charger for wife’s R9T, as that just plugs in to din socket and all is well.

In a word, yes. expensive but very good.

I got an optimate 4 from sportsbikeshop last year.
after the first lockdown my bike was dead.
i left the battery on charge a week and i wasnt impressed with the optimate at all, and im stil not
too many lights on it to understand properly, Only lights needed are DEAD, CHARGING, FULLY CHARGED, FAULT.
it never charges the battery to full.... its gets stuck at 75% and stops charging, i take the bike out and razz around all day, come home to a full battery.
leave the bike plugged in and maybe dont ride for a week or 2 (lockdown crap) and its back to 75%??
personally ive got this and i will keep it now, but if i was buying one right now i would try something else.

not really an issue now as ive started using the bike to commute instead of the car, the bike is better for it... and so is my rusty riding!!
i find im aching after short rides, so need to start riding more.... but thats another story.

I got an optimate 4 from sportsbikeshop last year.
after the first lockdown my bike was dead.
i left the battery on charge a week and i wasnt impressed with the optimate at all, and im stil not
too many lights on it to understand properly, Only lights needed are DEAD, CHARGING, FULLY CHARGED, FAULT.
it never charges the battery to full.... its gets stuck at 75% and stops charging, i take the bike out and razz around all day, come home to a full battery.
leave the bike plugged in and maybe dont ride for a week or 2 (lockdown crap) and its back to 75%??
personally ive got this and i will keep it now, but if i was buying one right now i would try something else.

not really an issue now as ive started using the bike to commute instead of the car, the bike is better for it... and so is my rusty riding!!
i find im aching after short rides, so need to start riding more.... but thats another story.

Sounds like you may have damaged battery if optimate stops charging at 75%. After all it is meant to be a smart charger. Have you put the charger into canbus mode? I assume you ride a BMW?

My current battery does the job once it has been topped up, but my dealer advised to change it anyway before I take the bike in for a reset on Tuesday, as it may have got damaged cells and he said that it would likely to cause same problem if I wasn’t to use the bike for a period of time. I’ll keep it as a spare on trickle charger. Always handy to have a spare battery.

after the first lockdown my bike was dead

it never charges the battery to full.... its gets stuck at 75%

If your battery was left discharged for a long enough amount of time, it got damaged, replace it.

Back
Top Bottom