Updating Garmin 660 with new version 2021.20!

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all Garmin professional users.
Having previously downloaded the 2021 full euro map software during the discount period with continuous updates, a new version has shown up via Garmin Express (7.4.2.0) for me to download.
Update: Full coverage of Europe 2021.20 7.47GB
I chose to download to both PC and Device.

PC has 22GB available
Garmin 660 1.8GB available !!!

Installed Map Info:
CN Europe NT 2021.10
[1] ALL
CN Europe NT 2021.10 Basic 3D

SD Card 12.26GB available (can remove music from this to free up more space).

So with my Zumo 660 connected to Garmin Express via the cable, it will not download all maps and asks me to choose what and not what to download in the way of countries.

Does the 660 device not have enough internal memory in total to cover 7.47GB?

Will it not just override the existing software to fit it all on if it does have sufficient memory space?

There is a list of countries on a drop down list and it looks like only one can be chosen.
Defeating the object of buying if I want to do a Grande Tour of europe and cannot fit it all on.

Thanks,

It may well be a shortage of space on the PC. Garmin Express has a nasty undocumented trick in that it saves an archive copy of the maps (about 7GB iirc) in the depths of your C: drive even if you don't ask for them to be saved on the computer. It needs that space in addition to the copy of the maps that BaseCamp uses. I can't remember exactly where but I and others have commented on this before. If that's not the problem I'd suggest buying a brand-new SD card as they do have a finite life.

Take your music off the sd card. Format it then do the install.
Replace music when finished.

I used to have all sorts of problems with Garmin updates till I started doing this (thanks Wapping).
Now have no issues at all.

p.s. that is not much free space on your pc. Suggest some housekeeping.

My update succeeded after a few attempts. I re-installed Garmin Express and re-formatted the card. Next straw to clutch was to buy a new card.
PC spring-clean is a good idea. Disc might be fragmented too. Garmin needs all the help it can get!

Having just installed CN2021.3NTU to a couple of devices, here's the detail I couldn't find before. Garmin Express creates archives in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map. Grabbing, in this case, 16GB of space on a small disc is unhelpful. If you've done a few map updates then you may well save a huge amount of space as well as having room for your latest update.

Download/install to PC.
Then use Basecamp/Mapinstall to send the .img file to the device.
There will be 2x .img files (N & S) due to the <4gig limit of the FAT file size.

The installer should see the card automatically.

How and with what software are you trying to update the 660?

I’ve got a 32gb card in and it still says not enough space and to choose what area map of Europe I want to download.
( Read the sticky about downloading a map straight to 660 then others I made need onto a card taped to the 660 door. Bit of a faff...)

Can I keep what I’ve got? ie the whole of Europe?
I know one day I may come barreling round a corner on the A61 in France only to find out its now a cul de sac.

The new version of Garmin express 7.5 I think appears to have removed the load to SD card option at least it has for my NAV IV. can use it the old fashioned way and download relevant map tiles.....bit of a faff though.

OK using a pc if express no longer has the option to install to card, do it via basecamp. firstly download latest maps to your pc using express, once done open base camp and connect your nav, ensure your nav and pc can see the sd card (it can ) good, now go to maps heading at the top of of your base camp window left click and highlight or tick next to your latest map version, once you have done that look down the list a little bit and you will see install maps select that, you should see the map install window open, select your card from the list (you may need to use the drop down arrow to find it).
Once selceted use your mouse to highlight the whole area you need ande then choose continue and then next window choose proceed.
NOTE if the card is not visible none of the above will work.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 1,969
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 1,907
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 1,923
Leedude. To load the maps to my pc, Express asks me to connect the 660. When I connect it it says select a region ..so how do I get maps to my pc with 660 connected?

Ok to download maps from garmin on the web to your pc, connect your garmin nav, open express go to View details, then go to instalation options and select computer only. should be good to go, if asked for a region select the one you want or all.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 414
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 422

Back
Top Bottom