Updating Garmin 660 with new version 2021.20!

Ok, thank you Lee.
Sending a planned route from pc to 660 is a bit slow now but it’s not a real problem. Maybe time for a new Garmin but I’ll have a map.

Thanks for the info Lee, I followed the instructions and started the download this morning and it has only just finished! At least it is now up to date.

Wapping , the pc downloaded all the up to date maps in quite a short time.
The pc sends a route to the 660 quickly but when I call it up in custom routes it takes longer than it did. It’s fine though.

The pc sends a route to the 660 quickly but when I call it up in custom routes it takes longer than it did. It’s fine though.

Processor is a bit slow on the 660/NavIV. I have a 340 and 390 (don't ask:) ) which are much quicker and even an old Streetpilot 2610 which is still useful with OSM maps installed :)

For more info if your interested, I went through this with Garmin tech support.
garmin express will not give the option to save to sd card on the older devices, it has to do with the way the software is installed, not sure I quite understood at the end but suffice to say that is the way it is.
You have the option of installing on the computer and then from basecamp onto the device or you should be able to do it from map install as well.
Much the same way as with base camp you have to select the device as the sd card on the unit and then highlight all the tiles you wish to install and then install it.
For me the option was quicker it only took about an hour and a half to load the whole of the new europe/eastern europe tiles onto the 32gb sd card, for me i did not have to reformat the disk as I had over 25gb of space on it.

How fast the maps download from garmin's servers will depend on the size of the map, load at there end (traffic) and the speed of your own internet connection to name a few, how fast the maps once downloaded take to transfer from pc to device will depend on a number of things, whether you are using usb2 or usb3 , the speed of your sd card the age of your Nav, newer tends to mean faster, the the power of the pc cpu, speed of your own HDD in the pc and so on.
As you can see there can be many things that have an impact on how long it takes.

The amount of map you can download to the card is 4gb even if your using a larger card,which is not all of Europe but plenty.

OK, I think you are saying that it’s a route (not a map) that you have sent from your pc to your 660, that is slow to display on your device, when you summon it up.

It’s a long time since I played about with a 660 but I think (I may well be wrong) the reasons might be as follows:

A. BaseCamp / Mapsource sends a route to the 660 in a format that the 660 can’t actually use.

B. When you summon it up from custom routes, the 660 converts the route and matches it to the roads on the map.

C. The latest maps contain a lot of data.

D. The 660 holds the map data on an SD card.

E. The 660 cannot run the latest fast SD cards at full speed.

F. The conversion process is slowed as a consequence.

Or.... something else is happening, peculiar to your device.

I no longer own a 660 or its BMW branded sister, so I can’t try it for you. What we need is someone with a 660, using the latest maps, to see how long it takes for the device to summon up and display a route (let’s say A to B of 150 miles, so not too complicated) from custom routes. Then compare their time taken with yours.

The amount of map you can download to the card is 4gb even if your using a larger card,which is not all of Europe but plenty.

But you can have more than 1 map, or 1 large map split into 2. Or a smaller set of map tiles that would take less time to download.

Yes Wapping, that’s right. Maybe I should cut down the amount of areas and that would speed it up.

QUOTE I no longer own a 660 or its BMW branded sister, so I can’t try it for you. What we need is someone with a 660, using the latest maps, to see how long it takes for the device to summon up and display a route (let’s say A to B of 150 miles, so not too complicated) from custom routes. Then compare their time taken with yours.

Derby to Folkeston to transfer from base camp to unit less than a second. To manage (import) new route found on device 38 seconds to fully imported, and to then call the route up to use and to navigate to start took 6 seconds, this was done on my old zumo 550. hope this helps. The unit does have a fast large card with full europe on it and is an earlier model than the 660.

What Lee says sounds just about right for the 550, which is still an excellent, no thrills device. I would expect a 660 (also a very good, no thrills device) to be no slower or indeed a bit quicker.

I can’t recall the speeds or size of SD card a 660 will run but I’d be surprised if you can’t get the whole of western Europe onto it. I can’t remember having any problems with map sizes when I had my 660 but maybe the maps are now much bigger? One thing’s for sure, I didn’t have the SD card cluttered up with music and other stuff.

Anyway, Rick 1600, you now have Lee’s times to send and then display a basic route on the 550; how do they compare with your 660, if you send it a Derby to Folkestone simple route?

But you can have more than 1 map, or 1 large map split into 2. Or a smaller set of map tiles that would take less time to download.

Yip I’m happy enough with that. If I was using the nav iv for a long trip I’d only download the maps I needed for the route. Much as I did and can still do with my old 2610 and a 2gb cf card......my first cf card for that unit was 256 mb :)

Updated my nav 6 yesterday using garmin express (full europe) , tried to update the old 660 today on the same computer again using garmin express and it has the same make of 32gb fitted as the nav 6.
All i get is a message saying is insufficient memory and requiring I download partial regions ,assuming that garmin express is not recognising the sd card

Updated my nav 6 yesterday using garmin express (full europe) , tried to update the old 660 today on the same computer again using garmin express and it has the same make of 32gb fitted as the nav 6.
All i get is a message saying is insufficient memory and requiring I download partial regions ,assuming that garmin express is not recognising the sd card

Does it utilise the SD card for the maps? I guess it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom