What's a 1978 R45 worth these days ?

MotoRevive

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got an R45 in for some work. 1978 model with a few running issues and a bit of a knock in the engine. The know could be down to the running issues. Currently undiagnosed.

It needs a full electronic ignition upgrade and the carbs completely rebuilding with new cables etc.

The parts are around £500 and it's going to take about the same in labour. Plus whatever else I find along the way.

He's asked me to buy it off him as he doesn't want to pay out for the work and as he's in his 80's he doesn't want a project bike that needs constant fettling.

It's in 7/10 cosmetic condition. Pretty good considering it's 43 years old. But like any old classic, it could end up being a total money pit and eat up endless hours of bench time.

The R45's were never popular. They're asthmatically slow but still do 90mph at a push. As they weren't popular I guess that makes them a little rarer.

I saw an old internet advert for a nice one for £3000 but it was some years ago and it was restored to a high standard.

Any guidance from the collective ?

You could always fit the siebenrock 860 kit to it I think....

I’m sure the more learned inhabitants will be able to confirm/deny my statement.

They are slow. I bought one for less than £1000. Couldn’t believe how slow it was. There must have been a reason bmw made them maybe to comply with a power output regulation in some market. You can put 650 bits on them easily enough I believe. JJH

The pre 81 45/65 would be a waste of time fitting an 860 kit to.
The valves are tiny so the advantage vs££ would be poor
Edit,
Every short stroke motor/bike I’ve bought needed total rebuilds on the engines,not such an issue when a motor build was budgeted for.
It’s worth the sum of the parts you can sell,no more.don’t be too generous if you buy it.:comfort

I've bought it for £1000. Maybe it was too much. But I don't think there is a BMW which isn't going up in value every year apart from the 1200LC's.

The pre 81 45/65 would be a waste of time fitting an 860 kit to.
The valves are tiny so the advantage vs££ would be poor
Edit,
Every short stroke motor/bike I’ve bought needed total rebuilds on the engines,not such an issue when a motor build was budgeted for.
It’s worth the sum of the parts you can sell,no more.don’t be too generous if you buy it.:comfort

If I were to go down that route, I'd put new valves and guides in anyway.

A few pictures would be nice. JJH
Not bad nick at all.
d882ecaa0f3563d931096393ffd91473.jpg
c7f967876059f9b95aa5a7f048788d15.jpg

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I've bought it for £1000. Maybe it was too much. But I don't think there is a BMW which isn't going up in value every year apart from the 1200LC's.

Who knows what it’s worth to the right buyer,
Looks like “your bike your choice now”
I’d stick it on eBay .
You’ll prob get a good price.
Personally I’d put no more cash into it unless absolutely essential.

Even if it is going to be a leisurely ride it looks to be in lovely cosmetic condition. Certainly worth what you paid for it. I sold a moped two years ago for £900!

I had an R45 bought 2nd hand from Cradley Heath Kawazaki in 1980. BKW 311T, red. Proper deep red paint with hand painted gold pinstripe. Not very quick for sure - a bit faster than something like a a 250 super dream but well slower than anything of similar cc except some old British iron and nowhere near two stroke 250’s. I didn’t care though; I had a BMW. 👍

But, it was super smooth, cruised at 70-75 with ease and comfort was very well made and after my old Honda 250 G5 was a huge step up in reliability and quality. I rather liked it and did about 40,000 miles on it including several euro trips - it was Francs, Pesos, Pfenigs and Deutchmarks together with multiple borders back then. Bad things were the points ignition and carbs consumed diaphragms for some reason. I did drop a valve on it trying to do 100mph for too long on the old A10 Between Royston and Puckeridge. Easy fix with a new piston and valves and a file to the lumps in cylinder head. I got rid shortly after. Part ex’d (swapped really) for a fiat 128.

They did two versions one for the German learner market and areas of the world with iffy fuel with just 27bhp iirc and one for the rest of the world with a whopping 35 bhp. I think the difference was the piston shape (low compression for lower Hp). R65 top end bolts straight on, but I think the r65 also had twin disc brakes up front. Otherwise the two models were identical afaik. I still have some of the tools from its toolkit.

I think I have one pic of it, somewhere in France. Will try to find it and post it one here.

Just seen pics,
Looks in good condition,
I recon you’d make a profit on eBay,
Or break it.
Unless you’re convinced the knock is a cheap fix(valve clearances or timing chain)
Don’t be too eager to open the motor up.

The bean can is toast for starts. And it's the points in canister from 78-80 which are never around for sale. Carbs need rebuilding too. Leaking and sticking. Nothing I haven't done a hundred times before though. I'm going to do an electronic ignition upgrade on it and fix the carbs to get it running properly. Then assess it from there. Hopefully I haven't bought a lemon.

Have you got a later bean can and module?
The harness is available new for not much dosh.
You prob know this anyway

It's the cannister. Original 1978 equipment. Points, weights and springs. I think the shaft is bent on the canister too. And the pin seized in it. It's fit for the bin really. I'm going to put the motorworks full electronic kit on it.

Just a thought,might be more cost effective,
Used bean can,post 80
Used electronic ign module post 80
New or used sub harness .
All will plug and play together with a few small mods to bike wiring 2 maybe 3 wires
#MotoRevive: As well as a few on here, I have a box of bean can bits, wiring, etc that you might want to have a look in?

I bought a brand new R65 in 1980... I've still got it ....:D.

Used to tour around europe two up with all camping gear, 75mpg all day long. The post 81 bikes with another 5bhp didn't go any faster* and struggled to do 50mpg......

* it's all relative.

Back
Top Bottom