Albarracin, Aragon as a base for touring

Davisonstuff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had used Albarracin as a base? I’m thinking of doing just that as a backup (in case of a bad weather forecast) to my preferred route which is a circumnavigation of Madrid, loosely based on taking in Cuenca, Alcala del Jucar, Riopar, Guadalupe and the Sierra de Gredos mountains.

As preparation I’ve come up with the following day trips from Albarracin and thought I’d share with fellow members. They’re all pretty long days but I’m OK with that but appreciate that it won’t be to everyone’s taste. Teruel would probably be the better base in terms of time management but as I’m thinking of camping I chose Albarracin. Feedback welcome if anyone has any suggestions.

Moto del Cuero and Alarcon - https://goo.gl/maps/G1uP3KYbHku6LJvu5

Cuenca/Albarracin mountains - https://goo.gl/maps/DtvmfBD79EohCieX6

South to Requena - https://goo.gl/maps/aJVrjDo7J26CCdrs6

East to Montanejos and Onda - https://goo.gl/maps/maFLsWT1z7XRvswV6

Catavieja and Mas de las Matas - https://goo.gl/maps/J4wCZune7jW8SGbp9

The last one could be manipulated to include the highly recommended A-1702 between Villarluengo and Ejulve, also known as The Silent Route.

The Cantavieja route looks great. My favourite rides in Spain have been in that area - quiet, spectacular scenery, lovely roads.

Also, kudos on that trip for going through both Rubielos de Mora and Mora de Rubielos. The subject matter of an increasingly terse series of text messages a few years ago between a bikermate and me as we both insisted we were at the agreed meeting point by the castle in the middle of town...

Also, kudos on that trip for going through both Rubielos de Mora and Mora de Rubielos. The subject matter of an increasingly terse series of text messages a few years ago between a bikermate and me as we both insisted we were at the agreed meeting point by the castle in the middle of town...

Excellent.

Shades of a colleague of mine who arranged to meet a Swedish client at the airport. All agreed between them, to meet at the information desk at terminal 2. Brian flew to Stockholm and stood around as arranged at the desk for twenty minutes. Not finding the client, he rang him on his mobile. “Where are you, Jakob?”. “At the information desk, Brian”, “So am I but I can’t see you. Tell you what, let’s both wave a handkerchief”.

So they waved away and still nothing.

Then the light came on.....

Brian had flown to Stockholm, Arlanda airport, whilst Jakob had flown to Heathrow.

Happy days.

I spent an excellent two and a half or three week business trip with the same Jakob in America, Mexico, Central America and South America. We achieved the square root of feck all after we left Pittsburg on day two or three for Miami and then Mexico City. Happy days, too. Our only disappointment was that we couldn’t squeeze a trip to the Galápagos Islands in.

Excellent.

Shades of a colleague of mine who arranged to meet a Swedish client at the airport. All agreed between them, to meet at the information desk at terminal 2. Brian flew to Stockholm and stood around as arranged at the desk for twenty minutes. Not finding the client, he rang him on his mobile. “Where are you, Jakob?”. “At the information desk, Brian”, “So am I but I can’t see you. Tell you what, let’s both wave a handkerchief”.

So they waved away and still nothing.

Then the light came on.....

Brian had flown to Stockholm, Arlanda airport, whilst Jakob had flown to Heathrow.

I'm laughing at the thought of them flailing away with their hankies!

Yes, definitely had to look twice whe I first saw them.

I have such great memories of that area, which we crossed on my first biking trip to Spain. One bikermate had a problem with his bike, a warped front disc, and had to call on holiday insurance to recover the bike while he continues in a hire car. Not great for him, but it meant we could stick panniers etc in the hire car and ride light!

We'd ridden from Bilbao to Calatayud on the first day, and it was damp and chilly as rode out of Bilbao (as it so often is there). Triumph ST rider ran out of petrol about five miles from Bilbao. Sorted out by draining petrol from another bike. The Keystone Cops go Touring. Then as we descended down the other side towards Logrono, the sun came out, the scenery changed and I didn't stop sweating for a week. In Calatayud we stayed in a fonda - incredibly cheap, but a 10 minute walk from the municipal car park, carrying panniers in full bike kit...

Next day we headed down towards Teruel and at Puebla de Valverde we turned off into the hills. I can still remember the feeling as we spent the rest of that day on roads like I'd never seen before. After the Mora de Rubielos de Mora incident! Spent the night on the coast in Peniscola. Next night in Sort in the Pyrenees, then a hair-raising descent of a pass in the thickest fog in the world. Sweating for different reasons at that point. The most scared I have ever been on a bike!

The road from Cantavieja through Villarluengo and continuing north is stunning. I read somewhere that the area - Maestrazgo - is the least populated area in Spain and I think it's no exaggeration to say we encountered no more than a handful of cars between Valverde and Morella. Three hours of perfect biking. Been back a couple of times since and not been disappointed.

I have such great memories of that area, which we crossed on my first biking trip to Spain. One bikermate had a problem with his bike, a warped front disc, and had to call on holiday insurance to recover the bike while he continues in a hire car. Not great for him, but it meant we could stick panniers etc in the hire car and ride light!

We'd ridden from Bilbao to Calatayud on the first day, and it was damp and chilly as rode out of Bilbao (as it so often is there). Triumph ST rider ran out of petrol about five miles from Bilbao. Sorted out by draining petrol from another bike. The Keystone Cops go Touring. Then as we descended down the other side towards Logrono, the sun came out, the scenery changed and I didn't stop sweating for a week. In Calatayud we stayed in a fonda - incredibly cheap, but a 10 minute walk from the municipal car park, carrying panniers in full bike kit...

Next day we headed down towards Teruel and at Puebla de Valverde we turned off into the hills. I can still remember the feeling as we spent the rest of that day on roads like I'd never seen before. After the Mora de Rubielos de Mora incident! Spent the night on the coast in Peniscola. Next night in Sort in the Pyrenees, then a hair-raising descent of a pass in the thickest fog in the world. Sweating for different reasons at that point. The most scared I have ever been on a bike!

The road from Cantavieja through Villarluengo and continuing north is stunning. I read somewhere that the area - Maestrazgo - is the least populated area in Spain and I think it's no exaggeration to say we encountered no more than a handful of cars between Valverde and Morella. Three hours of perfect biking. Been back a couple of times since and not been disappointed.

Great memories - the original adventure riding? A mate of mine said that him and his mates defined a great day out (back in the day) as 'seven go out, six come back'. Taken with a pinch of salt but classic stuff. Sounds like you boys were from a similar cloth :)

Yes, the A-1702(?). Definitely on my list. If I make a 2nd base in Mas de las Matas I could do something along the lines of this ... https://goo.gl/maps/qVQQn5qA8cpyeSkS9

This would also allow provide better access to the Prades area in Catalunya ... https://goo.gl/maps/jZWAApeECaitHJ9N7

Let me know what your favouriite villages/towns were that you came across. I've never been so I only know what I've read but on the list so far are Cuenca, Priego, Rubielos, La Fresneda and Valderrobres

I have stayed in the Hotel Arabia a couple of times. the standard of rooms can vary a bit and didnt do evening meals out of high season. The town is built in the gap of a valley. Most of the hotels higher up have limited access for vehicles.
Albarracin camping is a lovely spot just our of the lower village. They have log cabins and also have a few B&B rooms (and camping of course). The restaurant was quite good and fairly priced the lady chef is lovely and good basic food. Campsite has no pool. The lower village has shops cafes bars etc as does the upper village town about 80 steps above. The roads and easy trails for big bikes around there are fabulous and empty.
Teruel is Ok and more of everything posh cafes hotels shops etc. Very nice but not for me. I have spent 5 days in that area twice and not seen it all.
El Hoyon is an interesting spot
HTHY

Hi Davidsonstuff, I can only comment on Cuenca, I stayed one night in the parador there, which is a converted monastery with great views of the famous hanging houses, and a easy walk over the bridge into town, which will take you past the hanging houses for some photos. Where ever you decide to go, enjoy your time in Spain, it really is a fabulous country to explore on a motorcycle.

I have stayed in the Hotel Arabia a couple of times. the standard of rooms can vary a bit and didnt do evening meals out of high season. The town is built in the gap of a valley. Most of the hotels higher up have limited access for vehicles.
Albarracin camping is a lovely spot just our of the lower village. They have log cabins and also have a few B&B rooms (and camping of course). The restaurant was quite good and fairly priced the lady chef is lovely and good basic food. Campsite has no pool. The lower village has shops cafes bars etc as does the upper village town about 80 steps above. The roads and easy trails for big bikes around there are fabulous and empty.
Teruel is Ok and more of everything posh cafes hotels shops etc. Very nice but not for me. I have spent 5 days in that area twice and not seen it all.
El Hoyon is an interesting spot
HTHY

Thanks Mick. Will likely stop in Teruel for a coffe break in the center to have a look but I prefer the smaller stuff. I picked Albarracin coz I read it had a good campsite.

Where is El Hoyon? Can't find it in the area.

Hi Davidsonstuff, I can only comment on Cuenca, I stayed one night in the parador there, which is a converted monastery with great views of the famous hanging houses, and a easy walk over the bridge into town, which will take you past the hanging houses for some photos. Where ever you decide to go, enjoy your time in Spain, it really is a fabulous country to explore on a motorcycle.

Thanks Rockred. I'd love to stay in the parador (read much about them on this forum) but I'd be in trouble with the wife if I stayed there and didn't bring her along :)

Thanks Mick. Will likely stop in Teruel for a coffe break in the center to have a look but I prefer the smaller stuff. I picked Albarracin coz I read it had a good campsite.

Where is El Hoyon? Can't find it in the area.

El Hoyon is a quite deep hole (150ft) like an inverted cone. Its weird as its on a large flat plain. I think its some form of sink hole It can be found about 1 1/2 mile nw of Pozodon there is a nice easy trail past it. ENl Hoyon 40° 35.334' W1° 32.171'.
Also checkout Alto de la Cruz a great hilltop resistance fortification (Alamo) N40° 18.078' W1° 21.156'
HTHY

El Hoyon is a quite deep hole (150ft) like an inverted cone. Its weird as its on a large flat plain. I think its some form of sink hole It can be found about 1 1/2 mile nw of Pozodon there is a nice easy trail past it. ENl Hoyon 40° 35.334' W1° 32.171'.
Also checkout Alto de la Cruz a great hilltop resistance fortification (Alamo) N40° 18.078' W1° 21.156'
HTHY

Tarmac only for this rider :). Alto de la Cruz looks great though. Thanks.

Prades area DEFINITELY worth a visit. I don't have exact records or actual routes but, from memory, here's a day trip we did as a circular route out of Tortosa (good base with a choice of hotels and lots of restaurants)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/T...034473dc8443:0x4f013a8c8277d803!1m0!3e0?hl=en

DSCF0685-M.jpg

DSCF0690-M.jpg

DSCF0707%20post.jpg

It was a LONG day, once we'd factored in breaks for lunch (stumbled across a fiesta of some sort in Falset and had an outdoor buffet style lunch for 5 Euros each with local folk dancing entertainment thrown in) and I was so tired I was pleased to get back onto more major roads towards the end of the day! Didn't use the autopista. But all the roads in that area are fantastic. I didn't do huge amounts of research and picked some of the roads because I'd seen them on the World Rally Championship. All freshly laid tarmac, and you could see the tyre marks from the rally cars.

I'm mixing years here, but previously rode the main road from Tortosa up towards Lleida on the C12, then back down towards Alcaniz on the N211 (before heading down to Cantavieja area). I was on K1200RS and this was before I was concerned about speed checks and tickets. Faster roads than the mountain twisties and I remember it as being a day when I was on fire with my riding (no third party corroboration of this claim!). Virtually every corner had either a speed limit or a recommended speed in kmh. Soon realised that you could use the speed in mph as a guide for the appropriate speed for the upcoming corner.

The K1200RS trip (Cuatro Gringos Loco) was 2002. The R1200GS (Los Tres Mosqueteros) trip was 2006. One of the group picked up two fixed penalty speeding tickets in 2006 (manned speed traps) plus another for overtaking on a solid white line. I was just lucky - until 2018 when a camera speed ticket found its way home to me.

Thanks Rockred. I'd love to stay in the parador (read much about them on this forum) but I'd be in trouble with the wife if I stayed there and didn't bring her along :)

The Parador in Alcaniz is a stunner too! What the photos don't make clear is how bloody hot it was when we were there - mid June and 40 degrees.

IMG_4973-M.jpg

IMG_4976-M.jpg

IMG_20170612_191545-M.jpg

IMG_4979-M.jpg

IMG_4975-M.jpg

Prades area DEFINITELY worth a visit. I don't have exact records or actual routes but, from memory, here's a day trip we did as a circular route out of Tortosa (good base with a choice of hotels and lots of restaurants)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/T...034473dc8443:0x4f013a8c8277d803!1m0!3e0?hl=en

DSCF0685-M.jpg

DSCF0690-M.jpg

DSCF0707%20post.jpg

It was a LONG day, once we'd factored in breaks for lunch (stumbled across a fiesta of some sort in Falset and had an outdoor buffet style lunch for 5 Euros each with local folk dancing entertainment thrown in) and I was so tired I was pleased to get back onto more major roads towards the end of the day! Didn't use the autopista. But all the roads in that area are fantastic. I didn't do huge amounts of research and picked some of the roads because I'd seen them on the World Rally Championship. All freshly laid tarmac, and you could see the tyre marks from the rally cars.

I'm mixing years here, but previously rode the main road from Tortosa up towards Lleida on the C12, then back down towards Alcaniz on the N211 (before heading down to Cantavieja area). I was on K1200RS and this was before I was concerned about speed checks and tickets. Faster roads than the mountain twisties and I remember it as being a day when I was on fire with my riding (no third party corroboration of this claim!). Virtually every corner had either a speed limit or a recommended speed in kmh. Soon realised that you could use the speed in mph as a guide for the appropriate speed for the upcoming corner.

The K1200RS trip (Cuatro Gringos Loco) was 2002. The R1200GS (Los Tres Mosqueteros) trip was 2006. One of the group picked up two fixed penalty speeding tickets in 2006 (manned speed traps) plus another for overtaking on a solid white line. I was just lucky - until 2018 when a camera speed ticket found its way home to me.

That looks like a great route. Between Asco, Bisbal and Gratallops looks amaizing on Street View. I posted a similar route for feedback a while back and one commentor said that the roads were extremely narrow even though they look great. What was your recollection? I'll definitely ride that area (if allowed to - sailing is June 13) but want to try and pick the right roads as there are so many to pick from. The TP-7402 north of Porrera is definitely on the list, looks amazing.

I can relate to long days and the use of main roads to get you home. At some point late in the day it just becomes too much. Getting a bit earlier each yer for me :)

5 Euros for a lunch sounds fantastic. You must have been far from anything touristy, which is great. Thaknks for all your input. The paradors will be somethig we'll do in the future, sans bike. Maybe Cuenca, maybe Caceres. They look like a real treat.

I don't recall the roads being particularly narrow, but they're certainly not what you'd call major roads! Pick a few on Google streetview is all I'd suggest...

EDIT: just done the above on the T-702 and T-703 between Flix and Bisbal de Falset, and they have a white lines down the middle, so can't be THAT narrow. The A226 between Teruel and Cantavieja is a scenic but wider and faster road. Goes quite high, as I recall.

Back
Top Bottom