Albarracin, Aragon as a base for touring

EDIT: just done the above on the T-702 and T-703 between Flix and Bisbal de Falset, and they have a white lines down the middle, so can't be THAT narrow. The A226 between Teruel and Cantavieja is a scenic but wider and faster road. Goes quite high, as I recall.

Thanks. They do look great so will hope to ride.

I know the area really wel as I used to hold my HISS rallies there - in Camping Albarracín as well as some other locations - as well as some HUMM events which I planned, organised for Horizons Unlimited. The latter were held at the Hotel La Trufa Negra at Mora de Rubielos which also has apartment rooms. So between 2012 and 2018 I spent about six weeks a year in the region ... and still love it and will be going back asap :)

As for rides you can't really go wrong - I see you don't do 'off road' but you can now ride to the summit of Mount Javalambre, which has a ski station on its slopes, a stunning location on a clear day - ride from Arcos de la Frintera to the summit and then on to the ski station for the main road again.

One reason I love the region is that in a radius of about 100 kms you have four very different lansdscapes - and roads to match!

p6040105.jpg

niva4top3.jpg

today5.jpg

Albarracín is a great little place but is extrememly popular with Spanisg tourists form Valencia and Madrid at weekends and apart from tourism there's not much 'real life' there - Mick's suggestion about the Hotel Srabia is spot on BTW! - Mora de Rubiuelos is a bit more down to earth but if you like a bit of nightlife Teruel is actually a really nice little city, well worth considering.

That top pic is stunning and would definitely make me want to ride some easy dirt to experience it. If I took it slow I think I'd be OK. Would this be the route you are suggesting?

https://goo.gl/maps/boxycMkt7pQzoE2VA

That landscape is incredible and a very different topography to other regions in the area, as you intimate. One of my routes runs up the A-1514 so will be going right past it. It would also cut out a chink of motorway to get me home.

Thanks for the touristy tip. I'm OK with that (until I come to pay the 23 Euro bill for a pizza and a beer like in Andermatt). If I do decide to camp I will cook my own every other day which should lessen the load.

You're a font of knowledge - you should write a book. How is that going?

That's about it. Last time I was up there, in 2018, the trail at the summit was being surfaced with asphalt but I don't know exactly which way it went on down to join the Manzaneras to Arcos road (that's Arcos de las Salines, not Frontera of course!) but I'm pretty certain it won't be the route that your Google has found ... In any case the 'main' trail is easy enough, there's a Spanish rally taht goes up in mid-February, i.e. lost of ice and even snow and when I went up with some mates we were being chansed by sports bikesn even full on choppers!

javalambre_4.jpg

p1290037.jpg

p1290014.jpg

bravehearts.jpg

javalambre_7.jpg

selfrevisited.jpg

It helps to understand that Spanisg riders are totally nuts! :) ... and that it's rather better to go in July :)

Hmm the book, well I keep kicking ideas around but as I was commenting on The Early Morning Club just now I'm rather enjoyinh not being beholden to anyone or anything ...

... In any case the 'main' trail is easy enough, there's a Spanish rally taht goes up in mid-February, i.e. lost of ice and even snow and when I went up with some mates we were being chansed by sports bikesn even full on choppers! ...

That sounds like a brilliant day out. Not quite Box Hil on a wet and windy February Sunday morning though :). Thanks for all your input, as usual.

One final comment: Pitarque is about the most remote village I've visited, at the end of a cul de sac through tunnels in the rock in the gorge alongside the river. A friend swears blind he saw a hyena on the way there. I'd love to go there again.

One final comment: Pitarque is about the most remote village I've visited, at the end of a cul de sac through tunnels in the rock in the gorge alongside the river. A friend swears blind he saw a hyena on the way there. I'd love to go there again.

If I get there I'll defiitely ride that A-1702 (what's called the Silent Route) which runs very close to Pitarque ear Villarluengo. I'll have a ride up - and keep my eyes open :)

There’s some ideas on jaunts / roads around the town and area, in this this thread:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/450657-Spain-50-routes-Portugal-7-routes-Complete

The routes all download just fine.

Great stuff on there. It's actually allowed me to see roads that are not easily visible on Google Maps. In particular there's one that runs alongside the Rio Escabas roughly between Fuertescusa and Tragacete that could prove useful if I need to shortcut for any reason (I have planned some pretty long days). Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom