I am seriously considering

Seems strange that the poster in your link thinks a 690 is lacking power,on the road or not.
The one I’ve bought is plenty pokey,
It’s not that far behind the 950se if you use all the revs.
On the dirt it’s just a monster.
Way more than enough.
:confused:

I thought that, but he said his was brand new (maybe not loosened up perhaps)

I’ve never understood this snatchy throttle complaining... yes some bikes (Yamaha Ducati and Triumph to name the obvious) have a little bit of play off the stop but unless you’re hitting the throttle like an over enthusiastic butcher pounding a rump of meat then it really isn’t a problem.

Or buy a throttle spacer if it upsets your sensitive girly strength grip too much. :D

It’s not very nice off road......., predictable low down response/smoothness is everything (well it is for me ‘cos I’m shit off road).

Andres

It’s not very nice off road......., predictable low down response/smoothness is everything (well it is for me ‘cos I’m shit off road).

Andres

The one thing I particularly like about the T7 is the smooth throttle response and tractable engine

From the 6000 km bikes on the Tenere Tour I rode & my own bike

It’ll pull in 2nd and 3rd from a 1000 rpm onwards

Smooth as butter

Following with interest, I've no idea what my next bike will be but these are definitely on my radar....... I love the motor in my friends Tracer 700, it's a real peach

+1 I test rode an MT-07 and thought the engine was great - flexible, pretty perky and more than enough power for me.

I’m 20 stone and can power wheelie a Triumph 1200 Scrambler in sports mode.......

Does that help?

Well until the electronics kick in and bring the wheel back down - it’s fun though...

Rotary mapping switch on 1 perhaps

Probably kept it in 3rd

Plenty of other views on that thread, some interesting points

Love the quote that the 690 has 9 gears (6 and 3 neutrals) whereas the T7 has 7 (6 gears and only the one real neutral)

Andres

Which the T7 has.

My point was some folks saying it has a snatchy throttle... which it hasn’t. :nenau

Probably kept it in 3rd

Love the quote that the 690 has 9 gears (6 and 3 neutrals) whereas the T7 has 7 (6 gears and only the one real neutral)

Sounds like my Guzzi :)

To be fair it was a MY13 Orange bike that was being referred to.......

I’m still struggling, as mentioned earlier, to see why 690/701s are compared to T7s. I genuinely see them as two very different bikes?

Andres

Probably kept it in 3rd

Just been back and read through,
As you say ,some interesting stuff.
I don’t get the comparison between the yam and the Austrian bikes though.
The only thing they have remotely in common is a similar engine capacity.

Edit,Andres beat me to it:thumb2

Sounds like my Guzzi :)

To be fair it was a MY13 Orange bike that was being referred to.......

I’m still struggling, as mentioned earlier, to see why 690/701s are compared to T7s.

I genuinely see them as two very different bikes?

Andres

Others talked about both post 2017 690 and 701 ...and said similar about certain traits of the earlier bikes, were still present in the latest bikes

As for comparisons....

Similar price point
Similar power point
Different engines
Different weights (T7 about 40kg heavier)
Both percepted as adv or dual sport bikes
Both go well off-road and perform fine
Both have faults
Both have strengths

Why is the T700 the better seller over the last 18 months ?

The 700 yam twin is a peach of an engine, my wife rides a tracer 700 and it’s superb, full of character and economical too.

If the T7 is the same it’ll be very very good.

Others talked about both post 2017 690 and 701 ...and said similar about certain traits of the earlier bikes, were still present in the latest bikes

As for comparisons....

Similar price point
Similar power point
Different engines
Both have faults
Both have strengths

I think the perception that they may be similar is the problem,
A good test ride on both will soon show that the single cyl bike is more focused as an off road machine.
And as such will never be as good a road bike as the Yamaha,
In the same way as the yam will never be as good off road as the other two bikes.
Far fewer riders will opt for the more focused off road machine,
Especially if you need/want a more do it all bike.
That said,my local dealer had already sold his year’s allocation of 690’s and 701’s

The 700 yam twin is a peach of an engine, my wife rides a tracer 700 and it’s superb, full of character and economical too.

If the T7 is the same it’ll be very very good.

Different ecu for more torque and shorter gearing for off-road (15t front sprocket v 16t on the Tracer)

The 690/701 might have a few issues, but not having enough power is certainly not one of them :loopy

It's obviously not as plush a road bike as the T7, but it's a very involving and exciting thing on back roads, and i'd not want anything heavier off road.

There is no perfect dual sport bike that works like the best on and off road, in the same way there is no perfect 50/50 tyre to put on it. It's always going to be a compromise and you have to pick the best compromise for you. Horses for courses.

There is no perfect dual sport bike that works like the best on and off road, in the same way there is no perfect 50/50 tyre to put on it. It's always going to be a compromise and you have to pick the best compromise for you. Horses for courses.

Well said Cookie

As for comparisons....

Similar price point
Similar power point
Different engines
Both have faults
Both have strengths

You forgot to add they both have two wheels ;)

You could substitute a R1200GS for the T7 in the above list (pretty much the same weight as well) but would you compare the GS to a 701/690?

Why is the T7 the better seller? Dunno as to me, they aren't comparable bikes. It'd be like saying way is a 850GS a better seller than a Suzuki Bandit :nenau

I know which bike I'd prefer to load up and ride through France to get to the Picos on and I know which I'd prefer to be on the trails once there. As Cookie and Mikeyboy say, 'both can do both' but have had different compromises made.

Honestly, they are so different I just don't get why some people try to compare them as similar bikes :nenau

:idea I've got it! :idea

There a thing we do at work, it's known as the 'halo effect' and is to do with the 'builds' in store (where we place product on shelf).

What you do is you take a premium product that customers recognise as being 'aspirational' ie top quality, niche, high value/low margin and you surround it on shelf with other products that customers may associate with the 'aspirational' product. These are a slightly lower cost but much higher margin. They don't even need to be exactly the same type of product as the 'aspirational' product but there has to be some kind of connection, even something as tenuous as the design/colours of the packaging......

The 'halo' products will sell as there is a subconscious connection with them and the 'aspirational' product in the customer's mind.

So that's it. That's why some T7 owners compare their bikes to 690/701's. It's the 'halo effect'. The hope that a little bit of 690/701 rubs off onto their T7 giving them kudos in the eyes of other motorcyclists.........................

QED :D

Andres

Back
Top Bottom