I am seriously considering

I think comparing the 701 to a T7 gives the Husky a halo effect.

How is the ABS warning light on a bike that hasn’t even turned a wheel in anger Andres? :D

You forgot to add they both have two wheels ;)

You could substitute a R1200GS for the T7 in the above list (pretty much the same weight as well) but would you compare the GS to a 701/690?

Why is the T7 the better seller? Dunno as to me, they aren't comparable bikes. It'd be like saying way is a 850GS a better seller than a Suzuki Bandit :nenau

I know which bike I'd prefer to load up and ride through France to get to the Picos on and I know which I'd prefer to be on the trails once there. As Cookie and Mikeyboy say, 'both can do both' but have had different compromises made.

Honestly, they are so different I just don't get why some people try to compare them as similar bikes :nenau

:idea I've got it! :idea

There a thing we do at work, it's known as the 'halo effect' and is to do with the 'builds' in store (where we place product on shelf).

What you do is you take a premium product that customers recognise as being 'aspirational' ie top quality, niche, high value/low margin and you surround it on shelf with other products that customers may associate with the 'aspirational' product. These are a slightly lower cost but much higher margin. They don't even need to be exactly the same type of product as the 'aspirational' product but there has to be some kind of connection, even something as tenuous as the design/colours of the packaging......

The 'halo' products will sell as there is a subconscious connection with them and the 'aspirational' product in the customer's mind.

So that's it. That's why some T7 owners compare their bikes to 690/701's. It's the 'halo effect'. The hope that a little bit of 690/701 rubs off onto their T7 giving them kudos in the eyes of other motorcyclists.........................

QED :D

Andres

Weight? the R1200GS is 20-30kg heavier than a T7, wet for wet weights

The rest is a load of bollox:D

Halo effect, ha

KTM have had 13 years to perfect the 690e (690 was originally designed as roadgoing supermoto & never designed as a dirtbike from the outset and it shows) and they still haven't corrected the position of the rear brake master cylinder (ready to be ripped off by a rock) and the run of the chain, right by the riders left ankle (without any protection, bar a piece of flimsy plastic) and that should have been better protected by 2021

I was thinking of a T7 or KTM 790/890 Adventure to replace my 19 year old r1150gs that I've had for 17 years :D (along with several sports bikes and now an RT old fart bike.....though I will be 60 shortly :)). This is mainly to ride back roads and boreens (which are sort of surfaced). The GS is grand and with Ohlins flattens the worst bumps but is heavy in a tight spot. I've had a test ride on the 790 Adventure and it was great. Bonus was the low seat height. I'm 5'9 is with a 31 inch inside leg and I like the 20LTR tank it felt very light compared to the GS and was more than fast enough. I'm going to try the T7. I'm drawn to it because of reliability I've had a number of Yamaha's and they have never had any problems. The 790 can be had for much the same price as the T7 at the moment but reliability particularly with electrics and clutches seems to be atrocious and the NI dealer hasn't got a good reputation. First world problems eh? :)

I was thinking of a T7 or KTM 790/890 Adventure to replace my 19 year old r1150gs that I've had for 17 years :D (along with several sports bikes and now an RT old fart bike.....though I will be 60 shortly :)). This is mainly to ride back roads and boreens (which are sort of surfaced). The GS is grand and with Ohlins flattens the worst bumps but is heavy in a tight spot. I've had a test ride on the 790 Adventure and it was great. Bonus was the low seat height. I'm 5'9 is with a 31 inch inside leg and I like the 20LTR tank it felt very light compared to the GS and was more than fast enough. I'm going to try the T7. I'm drawn to it because of reliability I've had a number of Yamaha's and they have never had any problems. The 790 can be had for much the same price as the T7 at the moment but reliability particularly with electrics and clutches seems to be atrocious and the NI dealer hasn't got a good reputation. First world problems eh? :)

Don't bother, get a 690/701:thumby::cool:

Weight? the R1200GS is 20-30kg heavier than a T7, wet for wet weights

The rest is a load of bollox:D

Halo effect, ha

KTM have had 13 years to perfect the 690e (690 was originally designed as roadgoing supermoto & never designed as a dirtbike from the outset and it shows) and they still haven't corrected the position of the rear brake master cylinder (ready to be ripped off by a rock) and the run of the chain, right by the riders left ankle (without any protection, bar a piece of flimsy plastic) and that should have been better protected by 2021

Ooooh, touch a nerve did I? :D

PS Re the weights a R1200GS wet is 205kg (1st gen like wot I had). Isn't a T7 pretty much identical (give or take a couple of kilos)?

I was thinking of a T7 or KTM 790/890 Adventure to replace my 19 year old r1150gs................

Yeah I get that, much more similar bikes and a nice choice to have :)

Andres

Ah ok ;) I haven't the benefit of Google at the mo so was trusting my shite memory................ 204kg is still a heavy old tank though :D

Just like the KTM 790/890's, I was shocked at what they weighed when they came out.

Andres

It's relative, I find it ok offroad - but I change from a 78kg Trials bike to the 120kg XR4 and up to the T7, choosing the terrain accordingly

T700 will be perfect for European trails in the Alps/Pyrenees and Spain, as most are more open and flowing, with a hard base

Great to ride there, do some mixed riding and come home again

You can ride anywhere, on anything

It's relative, I find it ok offroad - but I change from a 78kg Trials bike to the 120kg XR4 and up to the T7, choosing the terrain accordingly

T700 will be perfect for European trails in the Alps/Pyrenees and Spain, as most are more open and flowing, with a hard base

Great to ride there, do some mixed riding and come home again

You can ride anywhere, on anything

Amen to that :thumb2

Andres

PS But stop comparing a T7 to a 690/701 :D

That’s the kind of riding I fancy doing but possibly on the Northern Scandinavian TET which has similar terrain hence my decision to go for the T7 which will get me there in relative ease and comfort and within the time constraints that I have.

That’s the kind of riding I fancy doing but possibly on the Northern Scandinavian TET which has similar terrain hence my decision to go for the T7 which will get me there in relative ease and comfort and within the time constraints that I have.

Bingo, that's what the bike is for :thumby:

A mixed surface tour in UK and Europe, not to bust your balls on single track

This is where I want to ride, in Europe

Either bikes will be fine, for this terrain

These days that's my kinda riding too TBH, nice easy, steady trails in a beautiful part of the world :) I'm assuming that was the Pyrenees, not the Picos, as I recognised some of the trails from doing The Vince?

And yeah, obvs both bikes would be fine although it'd seem a bit toooo easy on a 701 :D but perfect for my skill level ;)

Andres

These days that's my kinda riding too TBH, nice easy, steady trails in a beautiful part of the world :) I'm assuming that was the Pyrenees, not the Picos, as I recognised some of the trails from doing The Vince?

And yeah, obvs both bikes would be fine although it'd seem a bit toooo easy on a 701 :D but perfect for my skill level ;)

Andres

Not many legitimate trails in the Picos anymore, since about 2005/6 - just the Sotres and a few others - huge reduction

However there are many in the rest of the country and all mapped out via the TET app

The NP status of the Picos has finished offroad driving, to a large degree

These T700 things...Is the gearing low enough for steep inclines?
I see one in my future as it appears it could well be the best option for all the fire tracks and off road tracks where I will be living soon and some of the tracks are very steep, I have to use low ratio box in my Navara to get up the lesser used track up to my house.

I see one in my future as it appears it could well be the best option for all the fire tracks and off road tracks where I will be living soon and some of the tracks are very steep, I have to use low ratio box in my Navara to get up the lesser used track up to my house.

Gearing is pretty low (lower than a Tracer 700) and there is something with the length of swingarm to front sprocket angle to aid traction (I forget the exact reason)
Grunty low down

Att, have a Google for Deadmans Hill in North Yorkshire, hopefully you'll find some video of it. It's rocky and pretty steep, 1 in 4, maybe 1 in 5, the T7 pulls up there no problem. Took mine up there a couple of weeks ago and it went up no bother.

Back
Top Bottom