r1150gs running bad

Check TPS value ?

If it has been kicked and is out of kilter it will be telling the ecu that the throttle is open wider than it really is

If it is sitting around 0.38 Volt ?

Or a blocked or jammed fuel line connector not sending fuel back to the tank

Running badly, all the time but worse before it gets warm, the plugs are black, any ideas before I start spending on parts, thanks :cool:

Single or twin spark. Anything been done to the bike lately or has the fault just appeared. Was it riding normally or has it been laid up for any length of time?

Single or twin spark. Anything been done to the bike lately or has the fault just appeared. Was it riding normally or has it been laid up for any length of time?

Hi, single spark, it just started all of a sudden, I use it to go to work, have done for years. I've had it over 13 years, always serviced it myself, but this time just can't find it out, thanks

If the rubber plugs for the vacuum ports are missing or cracked/ leaking, that will affect how the bike runs. Otherwise it might be worth checking the throttle cables. Could one be fraying causing an imbalance?
Are the spark plugs in good condition?

I should have started it like this

What year of bike is it? The 2000 Yellow 1150GS?

What miles and when was the last service

Does it happen worse when a hot or wet day

And to start a visual check with:- Is the exhaust tail pipe Very black (and as an supportive symptom! Does the bike appear much harder on fuel now??

If the tail pipe is very sooty? I suspect The TPS or the Lamda

TPS is easily checked With a Voltmeter and backprobing one wire

And if it checks out okay Just unplug the Lamda It will make the ECU revert to a default map with no influence from the now disconnected lamda

It will likely take a good quick run to de soot the Lamda if the pipe is sooty

Check TPS value ?

If it has been kicked and is out of kilter it will be telling the ecu that the throttle is open wider than it really is

If it is sitting around 0.38 Volt ?

Or a blocked or jammed fuel line connector not sending fuel back to the tank

It’s one of those ‘more questions than answers’ type of post.. at least the OP has revealed a couple more details to avoid having a stab in the dark or requiring mind reading skills...,
But you missed asking what does the OP mean when he says “running bad” .. :D

It’s one of those ‘more questions than answers’ type of post.. at least the OP has revealed a couple more details to avoid having a stab in the dark or requiring mind reading skills...,
But you missed asking what does the OP mean when he says “running bad” .. :D

My bad, sorry Neil.

P.S. Bowie, What do you mean by running bad?��

Hi DrFarkoff,
Yep, 2000 Yellow r1150gs.
Just over 94,000 miles, serviced last May.
Its worse when first started from cold, just a bit better when its warm.
Plugs are black.
Only ticks over when warm, and tick over is never smooth now.
I'll check the exhaust tonight.
Thanks

Screenshot_2020-05-10-14-15-54.jpg

If everything is allready tested with no result, check this as well.
Inside the fuel tank.
ACtC-3e24DTPDlgslAD_nXK2DTCw4aMNDy6_tlK1swYO2mU6m1PtW64k6uxx8yySCYzQkg9SxwIvyPx8UZovvitTZDAh-GCuH5b3LBB-8-kVLsn3QKA5z7F4fEYk-nC9EEb1d8ndRqmZItyVdUAG3S3ThI6MBg=w416-h555-no

cracked inlet manifold ?
spray carb/brake cleaner around them ... my 1150 was doing similar , with poor t/over til warm , then it ran a bit faster.

Back
Top Bottom