R1100GS replacing exhaust mounting studs

Freeman1100GS

Reaction score
I am putting the bike back together and I need to replace several exhaust manifold studs. Its easy enough to get them installed but can someone tell me how far in they should go? They don't seem to want to stop going in. Is there a stopping point and I keep screwing them in until they stop of is the measurable point they need to protrude out of the cylinder head?

You’ve had you £12 worth of technical info for this year........:D

Proper studs usually have a unthreaded portion between the two threaded ends to ensure the stud can only go in a fixed distance. Your M8x40mm studs are probably fully threaded, which seems to be how they are supplied now to save on costs.

Here’s how to work it out:

Thickness of the exhaust flange + thickness of the gasket + thickness of the nut + minimum of two full threads showing after nut torqued down. = length of stud protruding from head.

If they keep on going in how are supposed to tighten the fixing nuts?.

The fixing nuts I purchased from the BMW dealership are capped like the ones I pulled off so I assumed they were the proper ones. I guess I could assume since they are capped that they would only allow the studs to go in as far as they were allowed to...... though any future removal would be the studs and the capped nut together because I highly doubt they would ever come apart again.

I've booked it in for an MOT with local hexpensivo MOTORAAD and asked them to deal with the sheared stud and pull/replace all others while they're at it... now come the research for some better studs (stainless/brass/bronze/unobtainium) to make future me's life easier.

Just a follow up (wow I've not been on here for a while) those fella's a Motorrad wouldn't touch it. Didn't even recognise it when I gave em the reg. Seeminly only care about the new stuff.

Back
Top Bottom